Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bry
I just purchased this beauty for $500 and am excited to start working on it. I have owned 944's and 924's in the past but this is my first 914. Does anyone know where I can download a Factory Shop Manual? The car has been sitting for approx 10 years so any advice on what to do prior to trying to start the car would be helpful. I will be pulling the plugs and injecting some oil into the cylinders before I try to crank it over by hand. Anything else? Thanks.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
C-Ya MK
Welcome to the World
Frankvw
Hi, welcome !
download a Factory Shop Manual ? Not sure, but I think the Porsche PET is a great doc to have, you can download that easily. Buy some books (Haynes for example) and visit this forum a lot !
Your 914 is an interesting start of the hobby. Already with flares.
Before you invest a lot of money to awake this 914 beauty, make sure to check the rust issues first and before you drive it, check the fuelhoses and brakes :-)
Be sure to post some pics of your work.
ndfrigi
I believed here at 914world is already ur 914 repair manual. Good and experienced member here. Or buy one like this.

Click to view attachment
Bry
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jan 26 2017, 11:47 PM) *

Hi, welcome !
download a Factory Shop Manual ? Not sure, but I think the Porsche PET is a great doc to have, you can download that easily. Buy some books (Haynes for example) and visit this forum a lot !
Your 914 is an interesting start of the hobby. Already with flares.
Before you invest a lot of money to awake this 914 beauty, make sure to check the rust issues first and before you drive it, check the fuelhoses and brakes :-)
Be sure to post some pics of your work.

I know the longs and the hell hole are the areas prone to rust. Any other areas I need to check out? I gave a deposit on the car and will be doing a more thorough inspection before I give the balance.
Shadowfax
welcome.png
Cairo94507
welcome.png Cool. I would suggest crawling under and checking the entire chassis for rust. Start at the front, weather strip channels, the area surrounding the brake fluid reservoir, the cowl/A-pillar, the longs (of course) the floor pan, the area where the firewall meets the floor, all of the suspension attachment points, the "hell hole" under the battery (where it may be or was stock), the rear trunk where it meets the taillight panel, the bottoms of the doors, the entire pillar that contains the door latch all the way to the rocker. Heck, I could have just said the whole car....
Bry
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 27 2017, 07:08 AM) *

welcome.png Cool. I would suggest crawling under and checking the entire chassis for rust. Start at the front, weather strip channels, the area surrounding the brake fluid reservoir, the cowl/A-pillar, the longs (of course) the floor pan, the area where the firewall meets the floor, all of the suspension attachment points, the "hell hole" under the battery (where it may be or was stock), the rear trunk where it meets the taillight panel, the bottoms of the doors, the entire pillar that contains the door latch all the way to the rocker. Heck, I could have just said the whole car....

Thanks for the info!
iwanta914-6
You are a brave man to take on that one. Why type of engine is in it?
Bry
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 27 2017, 08:09 AM) *

Yes, but no rust issues as far as I can tell so I don't have to deal with that headache. It has the 1.8L engine.
mepstein
welcome.png
billh1963
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 27 2017, 10:09 AM) *

At least he is jumping in.... shades.gif poke.gif
Front yard mechanic
Buy it and it's cousin behind it grouphug.gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 27 2017, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 27 2017, 10:09 AM) *

At least he is jumping in.... shades.gif poke.gif

slap.gif av-943.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(Bry @ Jan 26 2017, 09:38 PM) *

Does anyone know where I can download a Factory Shop Manual?

There is a lot of info on the web. Just Google workshop manuals for Porsche 914

* don't want to risk liability of 914 World by listing links of copywrite materials... smile.gif
jfab
looks like a fun project, wish i could find a project that clean and cheap in the northeast. if you need any parts i have basically an entire 1973 minus the engine and tranny for parts!

welcome.png
wes
Just finding this site is a wealth of information on 914's it's amazing how many people have done unbelievable work on their 914's and are happy and willing to share their information.
Check eBay for 914 914 six PDF factory shop manual $12.95 also The Haynes manual.
I have used the factory shop manual, Haynes, this site especially, and pelican parts site.
jcd914

welcome.png

PM ConeDodger here on 914world, he has the manual on CD I believe.

Like other said rust is a big concern with these cars and it hides , rusting the longs and rt suspension console from the inside out, hides under the tar on the floors and any other crevice or corner water can collect.

Look for rodent chewed wiring before you power up.

Flush out the fuel tank and lines, change the oil, charge the battery.

When you put oil in the cylinders use something light weight.
If you can find it, I use Swepco 503 Fuel Additive, it is oil based and thin so it penetrates and still lubes, also burns off without fouling plugs.

If it is still fuel injected it will need all new fuel hose due to the old hose won't hold the fuel pressure in a fuel injection system. You may want to look into stainless steel fuel lines through the tunnel when you get nearer driving or running much. The plastic lines deteriorate and fail leaking fuel inside the car.

Good Luck

Jim
Bry
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jan 27 2017, 01:18 PM) *

welcome.png

PM ConeDodger here on 914world, he has the manual on CD I believe.

Like other said rust is a big concern with these cars and it hides , rusting the longs and rt suspension console from the inside out, hides under the tar on the floors and any other crevice or corner water can collect.

Look for rodent chewed wiring before you power up.

Flush out the fuel tank and lines, change the oil, charge the battery.

When you put oil in the cylinders use something light weight.
If you can find it, I use Swepco 503 Fuel Additive, it is oil based and thin so it penetrates and still lubes, also burns off without fouling plugs.

If it is still fuel injected it will need all new fuel hose due to the old hose won't hold the fuel pressure in a fuel injection system. You may want to look into stainless steel fuel lines through the tunnel when you get nearer driving or running much. The plastic lines deteriorate and fail leaking fuel inside the car.

Good Luck

Jim

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice and info!
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
Mikey914
Offered to drop you a copy N/C check your PMs. Just need an address.
aharder
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jan 27 2017, 10:27 AM) *

Buy it and it's cousin behind it grouphug.gif

agree.gif welcome.png
whitetwinturbo
stirthepot.gif take off side rockers....and have a lookee yikes.gif and if hitfan[1].gif start sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif and smash.gif
Bry
QUOTE(jfab @ Jan 27 2017, 12:43 PM) *

looks like a fun project, wish i could find a project that clean and cheap in the northeast. if you need any parts i have basically an entire 1973 minus the engine and tranny for parts!

welcome.png

I will definitely be contacting you. I don't actually have the car in my garage yet so once I do I will be making a list of what I need. Thanks! Bryan
rick 918-S
Lots of great vendors here. You better get busy! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif welcome.png
914-300Hemi
welcome to the madness.
welcome.png
bdstone914
PM send for factory manual.
Those are some fat tires and wheels on the back. Does it have an engine that will spin them?
Check all fuel lines and replace as needed Start with the tank back. They rot out with age and heat and can cause a fire if one in the engine compartment leaks onto the heat exchangers.
I am in CA and have tons of parts for these cars.
Bruce
cary
welcome.png

You've come to the right place ................

Any info on the 911 beside it ?
Bry
QUOTE(cary @ Jan 28 2017, 08:26 AM) *

welcome.png

You've come to the right place ................

Any info on the 911 beside it ?

I asked about the 911 and it's already sold.
Bry
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 28 2017, 08:08 AM) *

PM send for factory manual.
Those are some fat tires and wheels on the back. Does it have an engine that will spin them?
Check all fuel lines and replace as needed Start with the tank back. They rot out with age and heat and can cause a fire if one in the engine compartment leaks onto the heat exchangers.
I am in CA and have tons of parts for these cars.
Bruce

It has the 1.8L so not sure how it will do with the fat tires. Will have to wait and see once it's on the road.
PanelBilly
So they're only giving you $500 to haul it away? I don't know if that's a very good deal. You might check the manual for the proper tire pressure. They look like they might be a little low to me.

This is the place to get help, but you'll need to put up with a little bit of teasing. I'd offer up some beer to the locals in return for some help to evaluate the car.

Welcome
forrestkhaag
welcome.png
A bold move indeed. You will have fun with it. Are you currently married? Here are some tips.

Create a kitty. Not a pink hat kitty / Rather something with a clearly defined and succinct purpose / a coffee can in which you can stuff nickels and fives and an occasional 20 thereto.

You will be surprised how your budget decisions change.

Addiction is a curious thing. welcome.png

You start convincing yourself that the beast is worth feeding. Then you feed it. More and more.

(Do you have kids?) If so, sell the beast (the 914 - not the kids - I have two) and continue spending your hard earned money on things that matter. (Charles K. aside.....)

Otherwise, tell your girlfriend or lovely wife that your wallet was stolen and you cant take her out this week. Tell her that the jewelry that is missing and located at your local pawn shop was stolen and hocked by someone other than your lying eyes...

Then tell her the boring-ass Subaru had a malfunction and does not LUV your ass anymore (then squirrel away the 300 bucks for the fake Suby repairs for sway bars or Koni's for the 914) then.. well. You get the picture. You have made a life decision Pal. You have joined a club from which there is no return. Dues are paid to FS posts and Pelican (who by the way. are in cahoots) so hold on to your hat, and bust out your wallet.

welcome.png poke.gif sheeplove.gif hissyfit.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.