Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bleeding Brakes with a Shop Vac
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
I usually have to do all the work on my car alone and therefore sometimes have to come up with ways of doing things that would be much easier with an extra person. Also I don't like to wait on that extra person.

Anyways. started bleeding the brakes using a Mity-Vac pump and although it worked OK, I came up with the idea of using the shop-vac to provide a constant vacuum. I used the bottle and bleeder adapters from the mity-vac kit and an vacuum attachment used for detailing, it has an adjustable vent so you can cut down on the vacuum.

I was starting out with no fluid in the lines or calipers since all were new, I did bench bleed the master before install though.

So I hook it up, make sure the reservoir is full, turn on the vacuum and open the bleeder. leaving it run for a couple minutes until I see brake fluid in the mity-vac bottle. ( it doesn't suck it all through real fast, no worries there) moving around the car until I am pulling fluid from all four corners. shutting it off and closing the bleeders to empty the bottle. You will have to empty your bottle numerous times. As usual you have to keep a close eye on the brake reservoir.

Then go back to the rear and start again, but this time I pump the brake pedal (by hand) Just leaving the vacuum on to prevent air from going back into the line and keeping any bubbles going in the right direction. OUT.

You can't rely on seeing bubbles in the line cease since the vacuum will pull air around the rubber fitting to the bleeder. this may not happen if you use a tight fitting hose right on the bleeder.

This trick turned a PITA job into a simple one-man job.

Hope this helps anyone having a problem bleeding brakes, at least it gives another way of doing things.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The rust on the rotors is a result of using kerosene and propane heaters in an unheated shed. unavoidable for me.....
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Jan 27 2017, 05:56 AM) *

I usually have to do all the work on my car alone and therefore sometimes have to come up with ways of doing things that would be much easier with an extra person. Also I don't like to wait on that extra person.

Anyways. started bleeding the brakes using a Mity-Vac pump and although it worked OK, I came up with the idea of using the shop-vac to provide a constant vacuum. I used the bottle and bleeder adapters from the mity-vac kit and an vacuum attachment used for detailing, it has an adjustable vent so you can cut down on the vacuum.

I was starting out with no fluid in the lines or calipers since all were new, I did bench bleed the master before install though.

So I hook it up, make sure the reservoir is full, turn on the vacuum and open the bleeder. leaving it run for a couple minutes until I see brake fluid in the mity-vac bottle. ( it doesn't suck it all through real fast, no worries there) moving around the car until I am pulling fluid from all four corners. shutting it off and closing the bleeders to empty the bottle. You will have to empty your bottle numerous times. As usual you have to keep a close eye on the brake reservoir.

Then go back to the rear and start again, but this time I pump the brake pedal (by hand) Just leaving the vacuum on to prevent air from going back into the line and keeping any bubbles going in the right direction. OUT.

You can't rely on seeing bubbles in the line cease since the vacuum will pull air around the rubber fitting to the bleeder. this may not happen if you use a tight fitting hose right on the bleeder.

This trick turned a PITA job into a simple one-man job.

Hope this helps anyone having a problem bleeding brakes, at least it gives another way of doing things.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The rust on the rotors is a result of using kerosene and propane heaters in an unheated shed. unavoidable for me.....

Looks brilliant! It's amazing what you can do if you decide to do it yourself and by yourself. I bought out a guy's parts one time and he had all these crazy contraptions to work on a 356 by himself, reverse handled handtrucks, engine/jack cradles, the guy was an engineer and he lived in the middle of nowhere and he said if he couldn't figure out how to do it himself, it wasn't going to get done, because no one was stopping off at his place.
rhodyguy
Very cool. Where did you source the vacuum adaptor?
Olympic 914
It was part of this inexpensive kit, I picked it up at and estate sale for probably a dollar or two.

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Vacuum-Attachm...DGGZNP11HMWFAYA

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Priced right for sure. Gonna get a kit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.