Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why is my front stabilizer bar shifted to the left
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Garland
The bar will rub the left strut when on the houst, and is shifted to the left also when sitting on the ground. It's a 73 stock bar, the mounts look OK, not torn.
Joe Bob
Check up where the bar goes thru the body....under the tank.
skline
If it ripped through, you can fix it with a kit from Engman. I have one I am going to install on the Chalon just for the rigidity.
Garland
I will pull the tank, but what could cause this? Bad bushing?
Garland
The mount's look fine from the wheel well side! Is the bushing mounted inboard on other sheet metal?
ArtechnikA
before you start getting radical and pulling parts, realize that the antiroll bar is the same as a 911 but the 914 is a little narrowr. in cornering, the bar can slide axially and clunk into the strut tube.

on my car i wound up using a pair of travel-limiting collar bushings (spacers) between the lever arms and the pillow blocks. nothing fancy - i think i used 1-1/2" PVC Schedule 40 pipe, available at Home Depot for about a buck. probably only about an inch wide, one each side.

so - first - check for axial movement, center the bar, and add some spacers on each side to keep it centered. you may still have something big wrong, but check the cheap and easy stuff first.
Garland
Thanks, I will post after I inspect it again.
Eric_Shea
I would say two new proper sized nose cone bushings will solve your problem.
rhodyguy
haynes states, "Secure the stabilizer lever so that 1/8" (3mm) of the square shaft projects beyond the lever face". are you sure your bar is centered? the bushings are the one item i haven't tackled in the front end. they're next on my hit list.

k
Eric_Shea
the bushings are the one item i haven't tackled in the front end. they're next on my hit list.

Oh... and while you're at it... biggrin.gif laugh.gif lol3.gif
rhodyguy
...put in that electric windshield washer pump! BEFORE i put the switch for the pump in i SHOULD install the color match dash face dry.gif. do i have to remove the hood and tank to put those bushings in? where do i get those little tank screens and gaskets? would a tank painted RED look good? i don't do well on slippery slopes wacko.gif

k
dmenche914
when your gas tank is out, get your fresh air blower working if it ain't, and then add some aluminum bug screen (window screen) painted black, over the fresh air intake, this will provide years of trouble free service, by preventing leaves, and pnie needles, and bugs from getting in a clogging up the works. The factory sreen (If you got one, some early cars did not) only prevents the biggest leaves from getting in, and is not enough protection.

This job is best done witht he gas tank removed, so do it while you can.

For the sway bars, besure you back up the mounting that goes thru the body with metal on the inside, else the bushing can tear loose where it attaches to the body.

good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.