Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with 1974 LE correct colors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
daytona
Hi guys,
I need help with correct LE colors and the paint scheme. I have a 1974 LE popsicle that has had a 6 cylinder conversion done. I will keep it as such but want to return it to the LE popsicle paint colors. Some time ago I found a thread that had several photos of a very nice popsicle but I can't find it now. Could some one with a correct popsicle car post some photos? Also I would like to have the correct color codes for the white and red (looks orange to me) accents.
Thanks for the help.
Bill.
Gustl
you can find anything you want at Jeff's LE pages bye1.gif
Tom_T
agree.gif .... with Wolfgang.

Assuming that you're actually referring to a "Cremecicle" - IIRC it would be L80E Light Ivory with Phoenix Red L32K Rockers, Valances/Bumpers, Side Decals & Wheels - but do check my memory at Jeff's LE website....

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

PS - Ooops, I see know that Wolgang's was a link, so you have it twice!

If you still have the original 2.0 for it, by all means hang onto that, cuz the LE is worth more as a numbers matching car, than as a -6 conversion.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914werke
smile.gif
daytona
Hi guys,
Thanks for the help.

Tom_T, yes I do mean creamsicle. Creamsicle, popsicle...
Unfortunately I do not have the original 2.0L. When I got the car the conversion was already done. There were other modifications done to it such as Carrera flares, 5 lug hubs, 911S front suspension and brakes, front oil cooler, and so on...

Thanks all for the link, I will check it out.
Bill.
Johny Blackstain
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Would love to see some pics of before & after & am very curious about what you're going to do about your wheel choice. shades.gif
Ferg
Yes, post pics.

My Creamsicle also has a non matching motor, so a six conversion has crossed my mind idea.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jan 31 2017, 02:08 PM) *

Yes, post pics.

My Creamsicle also has a non matching motor, so a six conversion has crossed my mind idea.gif

I've often dreamed of it Ferg, a nice 3.0 with flares, maybe a custom LE spoiler with the ends curved to match the flares. The hard part would be the wheels; to have it done right you'd have to use gas burners painted LE style, however they're too skinny for flares so it would have to be those wider, much heavier aftermarket ones dry.gif sad.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jan 31 2017, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jan 31 2017, 02:08 PM) *

Yes, post pics.

I've often dreamed of it Ferg, a nice 3.0 with flares, maybe a custom LE spoiler with the ends curved to match the flares. The hard part would be the wheels; to have it done right you'd have to use gas burners painted LE style, however they're too skinny for flares so it would have to be those wider, much heavier aftermarket ones dry.gif sad.gif

Nice simple MFI 2.4 and I'd keep the 4 lugs and narrow body. I'd likely find nice orange tartan for the seat inserts though.
daytona
Ok, ok. You guys are twisting my arm so I guess I'll just have to post some photos of the car.
The photos show the car as it was when I purchased it from someone in this forum almost a year and half ago, and it is still the same today. I enjoyed the car as is for the past 14 months but now I am ready to start some modifications. The car came with a 2.2L S engine that is being replaced by a 3.0L. The car will go to the body shop for some paint and to clean up some details. The idea is to paint the car in the original creamsicle paint scheme including the 7"/8" Fuchs wheels now on the car.
The interior will remain mostly stock except for the seats. I am getting ready to order some sport seats but I can't decide if to have the inserts done in black and white hounds tooth, or a red tartan insert. I do have a center console for it but I think I will install a center deposit box. The new 3.0L engine is supposed to be ready by the end of the month so in the next 8 to 10 weeks the car should go through a transformation.
Sorry for the photos, incredible as it may seem I hardly have any photos of it out in the world.
Please feel free to offer comments and suggestions.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
daytona
Here are some additional photos. As you can tell some of the photos are at a local Porsche club KK. By the way, at one time I also owned the copper colored 914 seen in the KK photos. That is a very cool car that I wish I still owned. Copper exterior with factory white leather interior.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Ferg
Nice looking, I like your vision for it.

Mine was still in the original light ivory white, but had black bumpers, rockers ect. I brought them to a painter friend and along with the wheels, transformed it back to proper Creamsicle color scheme.

I have hounds tooth'ish done by the previous owner It looks good.

Click to view attachment
daytona
Hi Ferg,
Thanks for the nice comments. I am leaning towards the hounds tooth inserts. I really like that look.
Bill.
dlkawashima
Keep in mind there are a lot of variations to the houndstooth pattern. Some look more like a Ninja star and some look more like a checkerboard. If I recall correctly, lakewell.com supposedly carries the correct Porsche pattern, if you're going for that.

BTW, that's matthepcat's old car, out of San Jose. I didn't know it was an original creamsicle.
daytona
dlkawashima,
You are correct, this is Matt's old car. The fact that it was a creamsicle came out during the time that it was for sale.
I have been looking at GTS seats. They appear to have the correct houndstooth pattern for the inserts. I am still not sure if I am going with houndstooth or a red tartan insert for the seats. I guess I won't know till the last minute.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(daytona @ Feb 2 2017, 11:46 AM) *

I am still not sure if I am going with houndstooth or a red tartan insert for the seats.

To further confuse matters, you might also consider houndstooth in a red/black pattern. This company has a very good reputation on the early911registry site:

http://classiccarrestorationsurrey.co.uk/f...ta-houndstooth/

Click to view attachment

From what I've read their fabric is virtually identical to what Porsche used back in the day.

Here's an example of the wrong houndstooth pattern. She makes it look good but I wouldn't upholster my seats with it biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
daytona
Thanks dlkawashima,
The company that you suggested in the UK has some nice stuff.
I really like houndstooth and didn't think that you could make it look bad. However, Ms. K has come close.
Bill.
PanelBilly
The car is too modified to have any value as a Creamsickle. I'd just make it into some kind of an outlaw at this point. Doesn't mean you can't do a Creamsickle paint design, but don't limit yourself to it thinking it will add value.
mepstein
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 3 2017, 10:35 PM) *

The car is too modified to have any value as a Creamsickle. I'd just make it into some kind of an outlaw at this point. Doesn't mean you can't do a Creamsickle paint design, but don't limit yourself to it thinking it will add value.

But don't convert it back. A well done 6 conversion has as much value as an LE car an is a lot more fun. Do the paint if you like it. That's all the LE cars were and some options.
sixnotfour
4 lug mahles can be rebarreled to any width beerchug.gif
picture is 15x7
daytona
Hi guys,
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
I fully understand that this car has been modified to the point of impractical return to a stock LE configuration. The car was modified long ago and will remain that way. I have wanted a 6 conversion for a while and now I have this one. I can't wait to drive it with the new 3.0L in it. The fact that it is an LE is just a subtle bonus that may not mean anything to anyone else.
I have no illusions of this car being worth more because of the LE paint job. My idea of returning it to the creamsicle paint scheme was 1. because I like it, 2 because it was the original paint scheme of the car (like an homage to the original LE), and 3 cause I thought it would look cool on a flared car. Plus someone early on suggested the name screamsicle that I liked.
Had this car been an unmodified LE I would return it to full stock configuration, but as all can see the car has been modified a bunch.
My goal now is to make it as good as it can be. A safe and enjoyable to drive Scremsicle.
Although I have to say that a friend is trying to convince me that a Martini theme paint job would be very cool. I am listening, the car has not been painted yet...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.