Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Where to get a crate to ship a type IV motor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I have a motor that I need to crate up for shipping. Where do I get a crate for that?

TIA
brant
I've built my own in the past
Started with a pallet
ConeDodger
Build it. ^ + 1
barefoot
I made my own, although not a long block. Base is 3/4 ply. This one to be sent out for align boring and crankshaft refinishing (2 cranks). Not shown is cover (sides & top) that screws on over what shown:

Click to view attachment

Dion
Build it! Shipped an engine last year.
Can fit a lot. Begin with a pallet.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jan 28 2017, 08:03 AM) *

I made my own, although not a long block. Base is 3/4 ply. This one to be sent out for align boring and crankshaft refinishing (2 cranks). Not shown is cover (sides & top) that screws on over what shown:

It looks like you bolted the engine to the bottom board using the mounts, and I assume the trans bolt holes. Is that correct?
IronHillRestorations
I'm lucky that we have good friends who own a pallet company. I'd source a nice used pallet, fasten some blocks to it, and lag screw the engine to it. I just recently crated a early 911 engine and trans to go to Europe. It also helps to have a decent wood shop.
bdstone914
Next to my shop. soon to be available. used to ship marble. In Riverside. you want to drive out it is yours. i can put a dibbs on it if you are interested.
Bruce
Mark Henry
The pelleted crated boxes in the above pic's is correct.
You need it on a pallet so the shipper can get the forklift forks under it, you need it strapped in and a HD reinforced box in case they drop or run into it.
Andyrew
Crates are built by the shipper in pretty much any industry.

You want to make sure the pallet base where the engine rests has a solid wood surface like what Perry posted to prevent from damage of the forks. The most common 2 issues with freight damage are from the forks and from them placing pallets on top of pallets that were not designed for it.
db9146
Don't use particle board for the sides and top. Its heavy and not very strong structurally.

Click to view attachment

Here's how mine arrived...luckily, all was okay but it had me sweating it for a little while.

McMark
Also, always remember, any shipping vessel needs to stand up to abuse. When that engine is in the back of a truck, they will cruise over speed-bumps, take corners a little too fast, brake hard, etc. The pallet may slide around and your engine MUST be strapped securely to the floor. I usually add blocks of 2x4 to limit sliding and ratchet straps to keep it from bouncing. Also, consider that your straps may slide to a looser position during shipping and become ineffective. Plan ahead and don't put the straps where they may slide.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.