Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking fuel tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveO90s4
Hi all,

Arrived home from holiday to find my 914, parked in the shed, surrounded by a very large puddle of petrol.

Was leaking from one of the connections at the bottom of the tank. 'Nipping' up the 22mm bolt reduced the leak to a weep, but did not fix the problem.

So I removed the fittings to see what the problem was.

Well, the short steel tube that protrudes into the tank (and which the nut goes around) was bottoming inside the tank. That meant the nut could not seal when done up tight.

The solution was simple:- cut4-5 mm off the end that goers into the tank so when the nut is done up it seats on the washer, without the tube bottoming out.

My 1975 car had a rusty tank - this is a tank from a different model. Maybe Fritz changed the specs between years (or I'd put the wrong tubes in to the wrong holes).

In any event, all fuel tight now, but worth checking the tube shaft length and tank receiver length if swapping tanks.

Cheers

Dave

second wind
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jan 29 2017, 03:23 AM) *

Hi all,

Arrived home from holiday to find my 914, parked in the shed, surrounded by a very large puddle of petrol.

Was leaking from one of the connections at the bottom of the tank. 'Nipping' up the 22mm bolt reduced the leak to a weep, but did not fix the problem.

So I removed the fittings to see what the problem was.

Well, the short steel tube that protrudes into the tank (and which the nut goes around) was bottoming inside the tank. That meant the nut could not seal when done up tight.

The solution was simple:- cut4-5 mm off the end that goers into the tank so when the nut is done up it seats on the washer, without the tube bottoming out.

My 1975 car had a rusty tank - this is a tank from a different model. Maybe Fritz changed the specs between years (or I'd put the wrong tubes in to the wrong holes).

In any event, all fuel tight now, but worth checking the tube shaft length and tank receiver length if swapping tanks.

Cheers

Dave

Haven't driven my '73 2.0 for a month and noticed a running stream of gas leaking out yesterday...WTF !!! Turns out end of fuel line rotted to hell. Fuel line under a year old....anyone know why it failed? I use BG 44K all the time but rep says it does not hurt fuels lines.....any ideas out there? Thankj you.
gg
jmill
Do you have ethanol added to your fuel out there? Not all fuel lines can handle it.
second wind
yes we do.....supposedly designed for ethanol....german hose $4 plus a foot.....fabric on outside.....also have type that is twice as thick with thread line in center of tubing...looks much sturdier.....hate to pull tank but may have to this summer.....or sooner if it springs another leak.....
gg
dangrouche
http://goodyearrubberproducts.com/2012pdfs...ds/page0032.pdf

30R9 rating hose; you can get the hose at any FLAP
second wind
I get the new 30R9 hose.....has been around for years now....how can a parts store still stock old type hose? What about the additives eating the hose.....ever heard of that?
Thanks....
gg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.