Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ballast resistor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
While trying to install my wire mess I found a ballast resistor. Did a 914 use them ?
I am not running breaker points.
Brian screwy.gif
iankarr
The ballast resistor is usually necessary (depending upon your ignition setup), but often built in to the coil. On my car with an electronic ignition module I needed an external ballast resistor or the coil would get scorching hot and stop firing.
Dave_Darling
What does the ballast resistor look like?

The 914 did not have an external ballast resistor in the coil circuit. The coil has enough resistance that it is not needed.

Some D-jet cars (73 2.0 at least) had a resistor in series with the head temp sensor. That might look like a ballast resistor.

--DD
80cap
Dave
Here is a picture of the resistor.
80cap
Another view. Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Not stock at all. Unless you have a coil that very specifically needs a ballast resistor, I'd leave it out.

--DD
Mark Henry
Many old school FLAPS replacement coils needed it, the OE and bosch replacement (blue) coil doesn't.
Stick with bosch unless you're using a matched coil for something like a pertronix, etc.
walterolin
Identical resistor came with my 70 1.7. Djet.
McMark
agree.gif

Not original, usage depends on coil, use a Bosch Blue coil and toss that.
80cap
Thanks
It will go in the trash heap that keeps growing!
Brian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.