Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NTB SUCKS!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
So in my search for new rubber for the teener, I decided on a 205/50/15 for my Fuchs. I called my Cousin up for a deal/advise on some tires. (Handling Performance Engineer for Michelin) He is going to get me some 'good' rubber in a few months when they have their 'fire sale' but he suggested the Goodyear g-Force Sport as a great candidate for what I was looking for in a tire.

I immediately checked Google and came up with The Tire Rack where they have them for $75ea. At that SAME MOMENT, there was an ad for NTB (National Tire and Battery) on the TV, and they said "We'll beat any...yes any...price on any tire we carry or they are free!" Sweet! I pass them every day on the way to work! I called in to check and see if they had them in stock. "Yup...sure do, I can have them here Monday morning." I then asked about the price-match guarentee, and he said all I needed was proof of the price, or a phone number that they can call and verify. Here's where it goes down-hill....

Me: How much are they from you?
NTB: $89.90 a tire, plus mounting, ballancing, and disposal of the old tire.
Me: I've got them at $75 from Tire Rack
NTB: We can't beat them...they are a wholesaler.
Me: So...I can buy from them...that makes them a retailer too.
NTB: No it doesn't...they can't be both. They don't have a retail location you can drive to.
Me: Ahh...I get it. Ok, Summit has them for $76.95 each...we'll do that then.
NTB: We don't match them either.
Me: Why not, they have a retail location that I can drive to. (Tallmadge headquarters is about 30min from me.)
NTB: That's different.
Me: How?
NTB: Well they are also a wholesaler.
Me: But you just said they have to have a retail location.
NTB: That's not what I meant.
Me: Well, that's what you said....you are changing the rules.
NTB: That price is below our cost.
Me: I'll bet 'Free' is too, and that's where you are headed.
NTB: Well, you'll have to call corporate about that.
Me: Oh I will...now what about just mounting tires I buy there? (I didn't realize at the time that Summit does it for free.)
NTB: $16.50 for mounting, ballancing, and disposal.
Me: I'm bringing rims with no tires....how much without disposal.
NTB: Doesn't matter, we still have to charge disposal. The tires had rims on them at some point.
Me: They may have, but I just bought them from Canada. That's Canada's problem.
NTB: Nope, it's ours.
Me: I have the documentation to prove it.
NTB: It doesn't matter....look we have customers here.
Me: Ok, I'll just call corporate to complain then...
NTB: :Hangs up:

So I called Corporate. Filed a complaint, and then called Summit racing. They were SUPER cool, and even matched Tire Rack's price. I also get mounting and balancing for $10 a wheel, and no disposal because I don't have tires on them. I'm driving down now, and I'll have everything done this afternoon.

You can BET that I'll have free tires out of NTB before it's all over. Couple of 'Nastygrams' may be needed from our Attorney, but I'm usually able to handle this stuff without needing to dip into our retainer. I'll mount them up on a set of Empi's I have and keep them as spares, or to sell. This is going to be good...

Moral of the story: NTB sucks, Tire Rack is cheap, and Summit Racing rocks.
CptTripps
I forgot to mention that NTB also wholesales under the name "TBC" so that argument is going to go nowhere when I get my call from NTB on Monday. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that part of the story...

When I called and filed my complaint with NTB, they told me that someone from 'upper management' would call me on Monday to discuss compensation. biggrin.gif
xsboost90
ive bought three sets of tires from tire rack, almost always delivered the next day. I have friends in high places so mounting is usually free! Tire Discounters kills me though, we cant mount those new tires because you didnt buy them here, but we WILL mount use tires.. confused24.gif
Marlow
but he suggested the Goodyear g-Force Sport as a great candidate for what I was looking for in a tire

Did you mean BFGoodrich instead of Goodyear? or is there something I don't know?

I just bought a set of 205/60/15's g-force Sports for $61 a tire at Discounttiredirect (TireRack was $65 and more for shipping). About $30 shipping to Virginia. Just have to find a local installer now.

NTB sucks, even when they were NTW. They tried several times to tell me I had loose tie-rods on several vehicles -- I had two different mechanics at another shop check them and say they were OK. They also gave me a hard time about matching prices on some BFGoodrich's for my truck a few years ago (but no problem over the phone). After I complained loud enough at the store they caved.
mk114
I would like to bring up one point , would you sell your teener for less than you paid for it. as much you got a good deal you have to remember that not every company is up to this digital age. NTB (personally don't care for them, I think they are cheap) The buy tires from a wholesaler like Tire rack. Their point is that they have a store front where if you had a problem you could bring your trouble too. so remember this they have to pay for store front, sales people, mechanics, electricity, hoists, alignment equipment, alignment rack, water, gas, property tax. They are a retail business. The tire rack is a warehouse a they consist of a boy who put your order out for delivery. I think your are bieng very narrowsighted. Most people miss that when you buy from a place like the tire rack you are paying for all those extras you never even thought about. Oh if you Blow a tire who do you take it too? Is your delivery boy going to repair or replace it for you. There are alot people you are taking for granite, don't be so sure you are getting screwwed next time.

And for the tire disposal thats a state tax (take that up with your state government)
Andy
I've always had good experiences with both Summit and Tirerack.com

I think the point is that if they won't price match they dang well better not advertise that they do - especially if they say "We'll beat anybody's price or it's free"! I expect companys to want to turn a profit but that's outright lying to back off a claim once they don't like where it's going. How is it different than upping the price 200% once you're at the register because it took them longer?

BTW Most of the tire shops around here claim price matching but won't, they also are huge about their "support" but unless you're friends with somebody there they won't honor it (or must pro-rate it, my favorite scam). Personally over the years I've tried three sets of tire guarantees;

1 sidewall = uncovered due to abuse. (Goodyear Store - I think)

~4 supposed broken belts (felt like bad alignment, discovered after sitting over winter) = uncovered due to exceeding speed rating! (ZR!) Yeah... dry.gif (BO Tire)

1 unfixable leak = covered! But cert had it prorated, less than a year old and it meant I paid 80% of full MSRP tire value and for new mount and balance... Cheaper to walk out on it. (Discount Tire)

Personally I'll keep sourcing tire myself, paying a reputable shop to mount and balance them, and dealing with replacement on my own. Unless I decide I'd like to start paying for "stem lube" rolleyes.gif
jd74914
We've never had problems with the Town Fair Tires around here. They'll mount your tires for cheap, and do some price matching. The best part is that they are quick and even let my dad drive his 911 on the lift, and let him check the points that jacked it up with. The manager even supervised. I'm going to go there when I need new tires. To me customer service is worth the extra few dollars cool.gif
CptTripps
Yeah, BFGoodrigh...not GoodYear...sorry.

QUOTE (mk114 @ May 1 2005, 02:04 PM)
I would like to bring up one point , would you sell your teener for less than you paid for it.

That argument is BS. When they advertise that "if we can't beat it, they are free" I have 0 sympathy.

TireRack has a road-hazard policy I could buy, but I never do that. The 2-3- times I've taken tires in to ::insert name of company I bought from here:: because something was wrong, it's NEVER the tire's fault.

I don't give a shit who you are, they CAN'T charge for a disposal, if there is nothing to dispose. Call it something else then, not disposal.
CptTripps
So here's the latest...I put the rims in the car, and headed down to Summit Racing. They told me they couldn't mount the tires b/c if they damaged them, they can't replace them. I asked "PLEASE!" and the manager took me in the back, introduced me to the 'tire mounting' guys. Then said. "As your manager, I'm asking you to mount these rims please." The guys all shook their head 'No'. Manager explained that in training, they are told they'll loose their job if they mount a rim that wasn't purchased there. I thought that was pretty cool...even though I was pissed.

So I went to the NTB down here in Cuyahoga falls and asked 'how much' (hoping to get in an argument with the manager.

NTB: If it's loose tires, with loose rims, $10.50 a tire.
Me: Really....no disposal fee?
NTB: There's nothing to dispose of.
Me: That's what I thought...go for it!

I then explained my earlier experience with NTB, and before I could get into it, he sadi "Let me guess...the one in Hudson, or the one in Beechwood." Beachwood was right. He then spent 5min telling me about that store, and that he already knew the guy I'd get a call from and that I'd be getting a set of tires because of it.

I'll let you all know what else happens...this is fun.
Elliot_Cannon
Way to go CptTrips. Someone makes a claim on an ad, they better be able to back it up. Anything less is fraud imo.
cheers, Elliot
mk114
you missed my point

I 'm not trying to start a blog war

but companies draw up there price based on local sales not national sales I not saying you have a right to be pissed but they do have the right to not honor wholesale prices as part of it (I bet if you read the sales policy it states that have the right to refuse anyone service) They as a company have the right not to sale below their profit margin if they didn't they wouldn't be in busisness very long as retail Business that is.

I have gone the rounds with simalar companies in utah with the disposal tax (here thay have no choice the state imposes the tax on all tires sold) It's money makin scheme if you ask me.I agree with they should call it something els as such a handling tax or something

Morally you have the upper hand

Legally I don't think you have a case

The trick is you try to get the best value for your money I will pay alot more if they take care of me I would rather pay 100 dollars for a tire to someone who will be there if something goes wrong I buy my tires at a small mom and pop place that backs up everything they do. If I have afalt they fix it no questions asked, when my wife ran into the curb and broke this rim the fixed the tire for free. (i had to buy the rim of course)
CptTripps
QUOTE (mk114 @ May 1 2005, 05:35 PM)
you missed my point

I 'm not trying to start a blog war

but companies draw up there price based on local sales not national sales I not saying you have a right to be pissed but they do have the right to not honor wholesale prices as part of it (I bet if you read the sales policy it states that have the right to refuse anyone service) They as a company have the right not to sale below their profit margin if they didn't they wouldn't be in busisness very long as retail Business that is.

This isn't a blog...it's a forum. I got your point...but I still don't agree. If they 'refused my business' based on the fact that they wouldn't honor a nationaly televised ad, they'd be in a world of shit.

I read the (lack of) policy, talked to the people, and even researched the issue. I see what you are trying to get at, but I also have the legal upper hand. "See store for details" is on the ad, and the web site...when I went to the store, there was no clear 'rules' that any of the three that I have called.

Bottm line, it's a mess...but I'll win.
bmcwilli
You're BOTH right.

Depending on the situation and car I

1) My 914, 280Z, 72 Lotus Elan Sprint: order from Tire Rack, and have the local wizard (Digital Chassis, Durham NC) mount them. Tire Rack drop ships them to Digital Chassis..I never touch the tire. Brad, the owner and sole wrench at Digi Chassis knows what he's doing, has top notch gear and is CAREFUL with my Fuchs and Panasports

2) For my Dodge Truck and Mercedes E300, I buy retail at a LOCALLY OWNED shop that's located out in the sticks where I live. I pass 'em every day. These guys can price match the NTB's of the world, are careful, and they know me. They keep their appointments, and appreciate my business. In fact, I just saw the sales desk guy at the gas station this PM. HE recognized and greeted ME! Won't get that from NTB!

Don't take it for granted that the big box (NTB et al) are cheapest. Sturdivant Tires of Chapel Hill NC have taken great care of me, AND saved me money, without the need to BULLSHIT me.

Go get 'em Tripps! They promised the deal...now they gotta honor it. You probaably wouldn't have set foot in NTB if not for that bullshit ad.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.