Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 on a rotisserie...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RD Evans
Looking for suggestions on how to lift a 914 body high enough to place on a rotisserie. Currently building a small workshop and was thinking of bulking up the framing and using so type of electric hoist on each end of the car? Suggestions appreciated!
Aaron Cox
It really only takes 2-3 guys to lift a tub....

do you have friendly neighbors? wink.gif
guywan914
I used an engine hoist with a chain attached to the center support for the seats. the weight is al ittle to the rear but worked well. Good luck with it.
jd74914
You could always block it up on some cider blocks and just keep jacking, though I thinks Aaron's method is better. IF memory serves me correctly the tub only like 500lbs. If you do it with some guys lifting the tub, just make sure you have someone to bolt it into the rotisserie smile.gif
RD Evans
Yea..neighbors are nice but most are women and my wife is a little sensitive about me asking them to help me in the garage happy11.gif . So I need a solution that works with just me and maybe one other person. I'm going to use 2x12's for ceiling joist (loft up top) and was thinking about doubling up a couple of the joist at the length of the 914. I wonder how much a tub weighs?
jd74914
Well, you must have some relatively strong male friends. cool_shades.gif

If you strengthen the joists you should be ok. 914 tubs aren't that heavy. You could also weld together a hoist to lift the teener with (by the center) and the you just have to steady it to bolt it to the rotisserie.
736conver
I used an engine hoist.
william harris
Well, I'm a little crazy, but I did it by myself using only two large floor jacks, six jack stands and lots of 2x10s. The 2X10s are needed because the floor jack will not lift high enough to mate to rotisserie (it's real high). So I would lift each end, place 2X10s on top of the jack stands and bring it on up. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS METHOD. It scared the hell outta me, but I had no one available to help and really wanted to get going. Chris Foley used a hoist and a sling bolted into the seat adjuster brackets. Says the car pretty much balanced there. boldblue.gif
RD Evans
I've heard the seat adjuster location suggested before but in my car's case, that would be real scarry! Floor pans are coming out. I think the chain hoist suspended from reinforced ceiling joist will be the best solution.

William..how tall are the uprights on your rotissirie?
william harris
Let see if this picture helps.
Gint
I know to get mine off the rotisserie, we had 5 or 6 guys and withheld the beear until the job was done. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.