Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 1974 Porsche 914 2.0 with upgrades and extras
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
johnbot
Hi, thought I'd list here first before Craigslist.

1974 Porsche 914
vin # 4742919103
Located in Altadena, CA 91001

See here for Pictures.
Porcshe 914 for sale

Purchased my 914 years ago but have a family now and don't have time to give it the deserved attention. Runs.

Work performed by previous owner:

- Front suspension from a 1989 911 Carrera (larger torsion bars, larger ventilated disc and calipers, large sway bar, and an aluminum steering rack mount)
- Re-drilled hubs in back
- Rebuilt the rear trailing arms and cv axles
- New wheels bearings were installed along with poly-graphite trailing arm bushings
- Repacked axles
- Epsilon 3-piece wheels
- Rebuilt fuel tank
- Rebuilt pedal box
- New main window seal was recently installed
- Dynamatted
- Factory option center gauges

Work I've done over the past few years.

- Push-rod tube seals to resolve oil drips
- Stainless steel fuel lines
- New main targa seal
- Purchased a nice replacement targa top with all hardware and seals
- Replaced cap, plugs, wires.
- Installed Ignitor Electronic Ignition
- New Battery

Things that are included that should be installed.

- I am including a Bursch exhaust along with a very nice Triad exhaust that want to be installed. (There is a less than impressive exhaust on it now)
- Full Carpet kit (new)
- Fiberglass FlexDam from 914 Rubber http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Fiberglass-f...ubber-914FD.htm
- Many additional parts

There's also two large bins with parts that will be included with sale.

I am looking for $6000 dollars cash or cashiers check that can be cashed locally. I am somewhat negotiable if you are serious. Thanks for looking.

John
ndfrigi
wow this will sell fast!
mepstein
Looks great!
iwanta914-6
PM Sent

Yes I tend to show a lot of interest in buying a 914 and then back out and end up regretting it, but I'm interested in this mainly because it's a 2.0L and the 5 lug conversion. Black is not my favorite color (looks like olympic blue under the carpet though) and I'm not sure what's going on with the paint on the driver's side rear fender, but if it's solid and runs, I have to take a serious look at this.
billh1963
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 31 2017, 10:24 AM) *

PM Sent

Yes I tend to show a lot of interest in buying a 914 and then back out and end up regretting it, but I'm interested in this mainly because it's a 2.0L and the 5 lug conversion. Black is not my favorite color (looks like olympic blue under the carpet though) and I'm not sure what's going on with the paint on the driver's side rear fender, but if it's solid and runs, I have to take a serious look at this.

Looks more like a dark green to me.

Also, that blue you are seeing is the sound deadening logo

Is the car carb'ed or still have FI? I may have missed that.

This is your car, iwanta

popcorn[1].gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 31 2017, 10:37 AM) *

Looks more like a dark green to me.

Also, that blue you are seeing is the sound deadening logo

Is the car carb'ed or still have FI? I may have missed that.

This is your car, iwanta

You're right, it does look dark green. I thought I saw blue on the floors, but apparently my eyes are not seeing things correctly today.

I asked the carbs or FI question in my PM to the seller as well.
johnbot
Sorry All, I was in a rush to post so forgot some stuff. Good eye, the color is a dark metallic green that was done by previous owner 8+ years ago, there is some bubbling on one of the quarter panels possibly due to lack of prep in that area but who knows, it's stock FI and the engine bay is clean. I'll try to post a couple more photos after work. I have a few PM's already and will be working my way through them. Thanks again for looking.

John
johnbot
Also there's some remnant black spray paint on the nice gold anodized rims that I was slowly removing (flakes off easy to reveal but will take some toothbrush time to get it all off). Why on earth they decided to spray the rims who knows...

Shadowfax
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 31 2017, 10:37 AM) *

This is your car, iwanta

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif do it, man. Looks like a great deal.
iwanta914-6
Already up on Craigslist I see...oh well.
billh1963
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 31 2017, 04:56 PM) *

So? You giving up already?
johnbot
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 31 2017, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 31 2017, 04:56 PM) *

So? You giving up already?

getting things into pipeline so I'm ready to sell before weekend. 914 world PM'er such iwanta914 are getting priority if an offer is made etc. That being said, I need to make this thing move fast so it's not occupying my wifes spot in the driveway wink.gif

Let me know if you're leaning towards a purchase and I'll keep you in mind.
87m491
"oh well", so you bought it?!

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 31 2017, 01:56 PM) *

billh1963
QUOTE(johnbot @ Jan 31 2017, 05:04 PM) *

getting things into pipeline so I'm ready to sell before weekend. 914 world PM'er such iwanta914 are getting priority if an offer is made etc. That being said, I need to make this thing move fast so it's not occupying my wifes spot in the driveway wink.gif

You are absolutely doing the right thing. Use all the venues you can.

You should include some engine pictures and some under the car shots as well...including the infamous "hell hole". Also, post the original color code (located on the A pillar on the driver's side (by the door hinges). People will want to know the original color.

I've found a little video of the engine running (even better of the car driving) helps sell a car very quickly.

If the car is pretty solid it should sell fast at that price. The 911 suspension is not cheap and a good running 2.0 with FI is hard to find. Unless the rust is heavy, someone who is serious will move quickly.

If I weren't in the middle of building my double workshop I would have already made an offer!
johnbot
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 31 2017, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(johnbot @ Jan 31 2017, 05:04 PM) *

You are absolutely doing the right thing. Use all the venues you can.

You should include some engine pictures and some under the car shots as well...including the infamous "hell hole". Also, post the original color code (located on the A pillar on the driver's side (by the door hinges). People will want to know the original color.

I've found a little video of the engine running (even better of the car driving) helps sell a car very quickly.

If the car is pretty solid it should sell fast at that price. The 911 suspension is not cheap and a good running 2.0 with FI is hard to find. Unless the rust is heavy, someone who is serious will move quickly.

If I weren't in the middle of building my double workshop I would have already made an offer!

Thanks for the tips! Some other 914world peeps asked about engine pics , vids and color code so I'll be trying to update those tonight.
iwanta914-6
Not giving up! I have some quotes coming in on uship to get an idea of transport cost which appears to be about a $1000+. About what I expected.

Johnbot informed me that the color code is L64K Zambezi Green, which is lovely.

I'm not a rich man by any stretch so forgive me if I am reluctant to throw money down on a car that is 1500 miles away and I cannot see with my own eyes.
iwanta914-6
Are there any other forms of payment you might be willing to use? Something like escrow.com perhaps? Seems like the preferred method for a number of transactions around here lately.
billh1963
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 31 2017, 08:22 PM) *

Not giving up! I have some quotes coming in on uship to get an idea of transport cost which appears to be about a $1000+. About what I expected.

Johnbot informed me that the color code is L64K Zambezi Green, which is lovely.

I'm not a rich man by any stretch so forgive me if I am reluctant to throw money down on a car that is 1500 miles away and I cannot see with my own eyes.

It's your money...no one can spend it for you. smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
Get on a plane and drive it home.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 31 2017, 08:36 PM) *

Get on a plane and drive it home.

1500 mile trip with a 44 year old car that I'm not familiar with and unpredictable weather on salt covered roads? Sure, why not...lol.

Wife does want to take the kids to Disneyland over spring break...kind of the same general area... idea.gif
iwanta914-6
Well, booked the trip to Disneyland so that puts the 914 idea on the back burner for a while. So I'm out for this one... (shocking, I know)

Good luck with the sale.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 1 2017, 06:16 AM) *

Well, booked the trip to Disneyland so that puts the 914 idea on the back burner for a while. So I'm out for this one... (shocking, I know)

Good luck with the sale.

iwant914-6 why take over a FS thread with your posts that add nothing to the seller's ability to sell his car. Maybe start your own thread when you see a car for sale that you want to comment on, you have been a member here since 2009 and your only contribution has been commenting on everyone's "for sale" threads. Maybe there should be a time limit on membership here for people that don't own a 914, how about 5 years?

Free bump for seller looks like a nice car!
rhodyguy
Disneyland will be there forever. Clean looking 914s? Not so much.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 1 2017, 06:36 AM) *

iwant914-6 why take over a FS thread with your posts that add nothing to the seller's ability to sell his car.

No, he did contribute the original color. beerchug.gif

No reason to rake him over the coals. Nothing in the forum rules states you must own a 914 to be a forum member.
billh1963
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Feb 1 2017, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 1 2017, 06:36 AM) *

iwant914-6 why take over a FS thread with your posts that add nothing to the seller's ability to sell his car.

No, he did contribute the original color. beerchug.gif

No reason to rake him over the coals. Nothing in the forum rules states you must own a 914 to be a forum member.

I feel sad for him, actually.

Every day he doesn't own a 914 is one more day he doesn't get to experience the trials and tribulations of 914 ownership. Of course, he talks a good game but everything else seems to have priority over getting a car.

There was a letter in Panorama (or Excellence?) a few months ago from a guy who has been "close" to buying a Porsche for over two decades. He always had a reason why he didn't buy any car he looked at. He still does not have one. I felt sad for him as well. Not because of his indecisiveness; but, because of all the lost opportunities he had to enjoy his car.

I was in a similar situation for years...always looking but afraid to take the plunge. Then , I turned 40 and realized I was closer to "checking out" than "checking in". I bought my first Porsche, a 993 C4S , and never looked back. I have owned way over 20 Porsche's since then and am always looking for the next one.. The older I get the more I realize we only go through life once....you better enjoy it now. I've been to three Parades, all but one Okteenerfest, multiple car shows and local events and will be going to Amelia Island in March. I've met a bunch of people (some great, some not so great), made several new friends and been to some great places. I got to enjoy all of this by just taking the first step.

I really hope that iwanta (and others in his position) buy a car if that's what they want. If they don't, that's okay, too. Just always be honest with yourself.

Now, getting back to the car at hand, pending pictures this car may turn out to be an awesome 914 for someone wanting entry into the 914 world. It's a desirable year, desirable engine, and with the 5 lug conversion has a nice mod already done. I hope someone buys this car soon! I have a feeling someone will be buying it before the week is over.

yeahmag
This is a great car. I can personally attest to it and have helped John make it better over the years. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any technical questions on it.

-Aaron
87m491
HHmmmm, "Iwant a 914-6" is an ambitious screen name if you are "not a rich
man
smile.gif

But I'd like a 914-6 an I'm not rich, so we'll chock that up to aspirational motivation.
The real question is, do you really want a 914 at all, and if so how much?

Your sig says Minnesota, it might seem that you will always be 1,000 miles from a car you would be interested in so get over it!

As far as the sight unseen, I hear you. I've only done it twice over dozens of transactions, once 500 miles away and once 3,000, interestingly enough, both times for the same make/model/year of car so I thought I had a good handle on eventualities. Thankfully both worked out very well. If you've been on this board for 5 years, you should know what to ask and what the answers should be.

If you were ever gonna take a flyer this is it. What are you gonna lose? There is easily $4K in parts that you can sell, so if it is a real turd your down ~$1,500 and your time. That is a cheap tuition bill for 914s. How many folks have bought cars they saw and drove only to be upside down by 1/2 or more of the purchase price due to rust etc?

If it runs and drives, definitely fly and drive. You don't have to do it in February, schedule a time and pick it up later with your new AAA card! Then you can change your screen name to "I have a 914!"

smilie_pokal.gif

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 31 2017, 05:22 PM) *

I am reluctant to throw money down on a car that is 1500 miles away and I cannot see with my own eyes.

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 31 2017, 05:22 PM) *

I am reluctant to throw money down on a car that is 1500 miles away and I cannot see with my own eyes.

beer.gif
yeahmag
Can't say I really blame him there, but shipping a car isn't that horrible. By the time you add in a plane ticket and gas you are only a few $100 off. Add time off from work and what not and you are probably even. Says the man who will do anything to save a dollar... :-)
eman 928
Hi, I didn't see it mentioned in the thread so far, what is condition of car as far as rust is concerned?
billh1963
John has added more pictures to his original link. The one shot of the hell hole looks good. Of course, pictures of the longs and under the car to see the pans would help.

I sent John a PM but haven't heard back from him.

Some of you BDMF'ers better make a move or I'm going to have to buy it! dry.gif
914z
PM sent
rhodyguy
RT MSP to LAX non-stop runs $180. dry.gif huh.gif
yeahmag
Talked to John earlier today, sounds like the car is sold.
johnbot
Sorry for the delay all it's been a hectic last couple days. Someone did swing by and dropped cash so I had to take it.... going to miss the 914 but pleased it's going to be restored to its former glory. thanks again for the interest.

John

billh1963
Excellent news and congratulations!
thelogo
Hi im pasadena area id like to check out the car

Cash buyer here

Pm sent

Josh
ric birks
Josh, it would appear the car has been sold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.