Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: onto the electrics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
The dashboard and internal wiring is a bit of a mess, some i stripped and labeled and some was already stripped and or broken.

I started to tackle this today and i have a few questions to start.

There are 4 wires taped up and marked as seat back light. 1 wire is black with a red stripe and is not connected to anything in the loom. where should this wire connect to? i have found no broken wires in the region where this reaches.

These connectors below are blank and i don't remember anything being removed from them by me, can someone advise what they are for?
Click to view attachment

The connector below, in the engine bay is connected to a severed wire in a sleeve in the tunnel, i think it goes to the rear heated screen but not sure why they would be linked to something in the engine bay?

Click to view attachment
JFG
Is this connector for the heater blower?

Click to view attachment

The wire connection below was loose but next to the brake light switch, is this for the switch or just there by coincidence in the mess?

Click to view attachment
80cap
Im not an expert but the black wire with a red stripe is a battery hot
Bus wire for the interior light. You need to find the other piece which
Should be hot with the battery connected. Then there should be two brown wires one is a switched ground the other is hard ground. The wires in the other picture, are unknown to me.
Brian
JeffBowlsby
Start by telling us what model year 914 you have.

Center console connections

Rear window defroster at relay board connection

Heater fan connection
JFG
Sorry guys it's a 74 2.0 model

I've added the extra pictureof the brake switch.

Thanks for the info it's a big help.

I'll get back to it on thursday for further work. The amount of damaged wires on this car seemingly rewrites laws of physics as it should have caught fire in a dozen places!!
80cap
I have the same question on the center console. What color wires do what? 2 grey,,
2 black, 1 red with a white stripe connected to 1 black, 1green with a black stripe, 2 brown,(grnd).
Brian
JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
The 2 grey wires take the "lights are on" signal through the center tunnel to the back of the car. That powers the parking lights, the engine compartment/rear compartment light, and the license plate lights. Those should get connected to a black wire with a blue stripe.

The 1 black wire is power to the clock. Always hot.

The green with black stripe is the oil temperature sender signal.

The red with a white stripe should be "switched" power, only on when the key is on. It would be powering the voltmeter and temp gauge.

--DD
JFG
I've been throught the harness from the fuse board back to the interior light.

Black / red stripe wire that was severed has no matching severed wire anywhere. But the fuse board layout has the interior light powered by no.11 fuse. I have 2 black/red stripe wires (joined together) coming from that fuse. 1 goes up towards the dash loom and the other goes to the connecter by the tunnel previously identified as the centre console connections.

I can only assume this is where the interior light black/red stripe connected.

Is this correct?
Olympic 914
popcorn[1].gif

I am sorting out my wiring now and these Questions / Answers are very helpful.

Good luck with your project.

JFG
Can someone identify this part? It has brown & brown/white wires attached.

Click to view attachment

Finally for now, the relay below, the hazard/indicator relay. When i took this from its socket to clean it i found one of the spades was silver but looked burnt. The other three prongs were gold in colour and just dirty/crusty.

Click to view attachment

I opened the relay and inside looks perfect with no visible signs of damage.

Just to be on the safe side i want to have a spare/replacement.

Are these relays standardised in pin patter and internal workings, so when i go to the auto electrical shop i buy the correct part?
Dave_Darling
When does that black/red wire have power? Is it always hot? If so, then that is very likely where the interior light power came from.

I can't really see the component with the brown/white wires attached. If they really are brown with a white tracer stripe, then the component is probably the "door ajar" button.

The square relay looks like the high/low "dimmer" relay. Those relays are fairly standardized for older European cars at least.

--DD
JFG
I'm trial fitting the bare dash to continue checking the loom before final installation. In the pic below there are 3 wires. Are these for the demist window switch?

Click to view attachment
NS914
Its amazing what ya learn from other people's questions....I wondered about this wire and now I know...thanks Op and Dave!

[i]

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 31 2017, 07:48 PM) *

The 2 grey wires take the "lights are on" signal through the center tunnel to the back of the car. That powers the parking lights, the engine compartment/rear compartment light, and the license plate lights. Those should get connected to a black wire with a blue stripe.

The 1 black wire is power to the clock. Always hot.

The red with a white stripe should be "switched" power, only on when the key is on. It would be powering the voltmeter and temp gauge.

--DD

JFG
QUOTE(JFG @ Feb 7 2017, 01:02 PM) *

I'm trial fitting the bare dash to continue checking the loom before final installation. In the pic below there are 3 wires. Are these for the demist window switch?

Click to view attachment

Should be yellow / grey - red / white & brown

Two of those may be it but odd they are bound together and all go to where the defog switch was fitted.

More rummaging needed.
Dave_Darling
I think I am seeing:
Black/blue--generally instrument illumination
Brown--always ground
White/red--I am not finding any on the wiring diagrams. Red/white would be switched power, but that looks like a red stripe on a white wire. If the wire were gray, it could go to the parking lights, but I'm not sure about white.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.