Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intro - 914 coming soon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arne
Hey, all. Thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Arne and I'm addicted to cars. (Audience replies, "Hi, Arne.")

While I'm new here, and don't yet have a 914, I'm not new to fun cars, nor am I new to online car forums. Prior (and current) fun rides include '81 Scirocco S, Jetta GLI 16v, Corrado G60, MGB, BMW e21 323i, multiple Datsun 240Zs, a 944 and an '84 911 Carrera 3.2. All but the 911 are gone.

Online, I'm somewhat active in the 911 tech board on Pelican, am a moderator at myaudia3etron.com, and am a retired admin on classiczcars.com.

In real life, I retired last summer, and so I now entertain myself by buying, repairing and selling fun cars. The last one was the 944 listed above. I live in Western Oregon where rust is not as prevalent as in other parts of the country due to lack of road salt use.

I'm here now because I have a tentative deal pending on a '73 2.0. Might be a few weeks before I take possession as we are waiting on clear papers from Oregon DMV. But once past that hurdle, I'm sure I'll be needing some advice as I learn my way through getting the car back on the road.

Since intro threads always need pictures, but I don't yet have my 914, here's a few of some of the other cars.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Frankvw
Welcome Arne. A 73 2.0 is a good choice. Since you are used to different forums already you know what to expect here ...you think !
This is a great place. Better then you will expect.
Looking forward to see your 914 in the upcoming posts.
SirAndy
welcome.png
PlantMan
welcome.png

Cool Cars
StratPlayer
welcome.png
simonjb
welcome.png
altitude411
QUOTE(arne @ Jan 31 2017, 11:17 AM) *

Hey, all. Thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Arne and I'm addicted to cars. (Audience replies, "Hi, Arne.")

If you looking for a good twelve step program well...

Ya just stepped in it! beerchug.gif And it doesn't wash off with soap or even brake cleaner.

welcome.png
ConeDodger
I can vouch for Arne. He's a retired admin on ClassicZCars.com. He had a discussion over there about jumping to Porsche.

Welcome Arne! biggrin.gif welcome.png
Ferg
welcome.png you have good taste!
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif
arne
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 31 2017, 01:02 PM) *

I can vouch for Arne. He's a retired admin on ClassicZCars.com. He had a discussion over there about jumping to Porsche.

Hi, Rob. And thanks to all for the welcome.

Yeah, hard to believe that my jump from 240Z to Porsche was that long ago. Like Rob's bumblebee, my 240Z has been in Norway for 5 years now. I'm definitely looking forward to the 914, I like learning new things as I move into cars I've never had before.
KELTY360
welcome.png
iankarr
welcome.png

and welcome to the addiction...
Shadowfax
welcome.png
The first BMW I had was an '82 323i. I loved that car. driving.gif
Krieger
Hi Arne! welcome.png
arne
QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Jan 31 2017, 01:27 PM) *

The first BMW I had was an '82 323i. I loved that car. driving.gif

My 323i was a kick to drive. 5 speed, factory Recaros, limited slip, Alpina/Bilstein suspension, staggered 15" BBS. One of the most fun to drive cars I've owned.

But most of my car obsessions only last 5 years or so, and then I move on. That was the case with the e21 and later with the 240Zs. I'm into the 911 5 years so far, not ready to turn loose of it yet, but still ready to try something a bit different. Hence the 914.
Krieger
Your 911 could be a great donor car to convert your 914/4 to a 914/6. biggrin.gif
JRust
welcome.png Arne is a great guy I met at a Saturday cars/coffee in Eugene. I may make the trip down this Saturday Arne. All depends on the weather. Be great o see another 914 in the area as well. Good choice on the year 914 as well
arne
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 31 2017, 01:49 PM) *

Your 911 could be a great donor car to convert your 914/4 to a 914/6. biggrin.gif

Indeed. But I'm pretty certain I could find a suitable 3.2 for that job without having to dissect a perfectly good 911.

But the reality is that I suspect my end goal (which is subject to change later) will be mostly stock in this case. Because even as neglected as the car is, it is mostly original. Complete fuel injection, all 5 Fuchs, Sapphire IV AM/FM mono radio, etc.

In fact, at first inspection the only non-original things I saw were the tires, a quad-tip Ansa style exhaust and the underdash 8 track player. aktion035.gif
injunmort
welcome, i love the 323 and 240z. you will enjoy your 914. if those two haven driven you over the edge, the 914 is cake and alot of fun.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 31 2017, 06:51 PM) *

welcome.png Arne is a great guy I met at a Saturday cars/coffee in Eugene. I may make the trip down this Saturday Arne. All depends on the weather. Be great o see another 914 in the area as well. Good choice on the year 914 as well

Remember the first WCR in Medford? McMark and I took a side trip to a Z car event at the Medford Nissan dealer. I think I saw Arne's car at that?
arne
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 31 2017, 05:08 PM) *

Remember the first WCR in Medford? McMark and I took a side trip to a Z car event at the Medford Nissan dealer. I think I saw Arne's car at that?

Could be. I think I took the Z to Medford once, can't recall when. That was a long time ago.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(arne @ Jan 31 2017, 10:42 PM) *

Could be. I think I took the Z to Medford once, can't recall when. That was a long time ago.

There was a very nice red Z. Mark and I didn't talk to anyone. It would have been 2009 or 2011?
Larmo63
welcome.png

Yeah, sure, he says he won't do a six. Sure.

You'll need a twelve step program to rid yourself of the dreaded 914 fever.

Good luck and welcome!
arne
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 31 2017, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(arne @ Jan 31 2017, 10:42 PM) *

There was a very nice red Z. Mark and I didn't talk to anyone. It would have been 2009 or 2011?

Sounds about the right timeframe. I painted the Z in 2007 and sold it in 2011.
SO.O.C914er
: welcome.png Welcome to the wonderful world of 914. My brother drove the wheels off of his 240z driving.gif
arne
Still waiting on papers from DMV, best guess is yet another 4 weeks. It's an odd deal. I am also pursuing a derelict '82 911SC, but that one doesn't seem likely to happen any time soon.

Here's a little teaser.

Click to view attachment
flat4guy
Welcome and congratulations. Looks like a nice place to start your project, good luck and keep us posted with pics.
porschetub
I sense the OP wants to do a six conversion or am I reading to much in to it ?????
arne
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 15 2017, 10:52 PM) *

I sense the OP wants to do a six conversion or am I reading to much in to it ?????

Oh no, definitely not. Will keep the 2.0 in it, complete with stock injection. Not going to jump into a six convert on my first 914. The goal on this car would be to keep it essentially stock, no serious mods.
boxstr
Welcome from all of the happy campers at CAMP 914.
Craig at CAMP
arne
QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 16 2017, 08:07 AM) *

Craig at CAMP

Thanks for the welcome, Craig. Here's a coincidence - you posted my 911 for sale in late 2009, two years before I bought it from Todd. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-car...rera-coupe.html
boxstr
I thought it look familiar. Nice car.
Craig at Camp. quote name='arne' date='Feb 16 2017, 08:28 AM' post='2455187']
[quote name='boxstr' post='2455182' date='Feb 16 2017, 08:07 AM']
Craig at CAMP
[/quote]
Thanks for the welcome, Craig. Here's a coincidence - you posted my 911 for sale in late 2009, two years before I bought it from Todd. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-car...rera-coupe.html
[/quote]
arne
Well, things change, but maybe for the better. Today I closed a deal on a '73 2.0, but not the silver one I was originally after. Still no clear papers on that one, and the more I looked into it, the worse the rust looked.

The one I closed on today is yellow, and largely rust-free. Looks like the battery tray may have been replaced in the past, but the hell hole itself is solid, as are the rocker and long underneath.

Three previous owners, even the past 7 years in storage has been indoors. 74,000 miles is claimed original from the seller, and the car in general looks like it.

Not many pictures yet, it is in confined quarters for now. Will have it towed home early next week, and then the fun begins.

First will be to go through my normal process for bringing a long sitting engine back to life. I've been told by the seller (and others not involved in the deal have confirmed) that the car ran when it was parked, driven there under its own power. So I'm hoping that it won't be too difficult. (Famous last words...)

Will be starting a new thread on the car soon. But here is a starting pic...

Click to view attachment
euro911
Congrats on the 73 purchase ... and welcome.png
Cairo94507
welcome.png Well that looks like a great start. Looking forward to seeing more once you get it home. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.