Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- Another welder question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mihai914
I am to the point where I need a welder ASAP, not just for the 914 but for other cars also.

I did my homework and the most bang for the buck in a 120V small application would be a Lincoln SP-135 Plus, with infinite voltage and wire feed control, followed closely by the Millermatic 135. The best price for these units new are above $500.

I tried looking for a used one locally and the shops are all trying to sell them 50 to 75 bucks under the price stated above. Not worth it IMO.

I know I also have to buy a bottle and gas, maybe a electronic mask but I should do with a normal one...

The big problem is budget, it is zero, zilch, nada.

I saw this Campbell Hausfeld for around $200, it comes with a shitty regulator though (no gauges) but it's a mig.

Does anybody have experience with this unit, I know it doesn't compare to the above but can it get me through? Should I take the risk?

Any help would be appreciated. welder.gif
URY914
What are you going to be welding, sheet metal only?

Paul
mihai914
QUOTE (URY914 @ May 1 2005, 04:14 PM)
What are you going to be welding, sheet metal only?

Paul

Lots of practice first because I have to learn and then sheet metal mostly (like hell hole patching), no heavy stuff for now like a rotisserie.

Mihai
URY914
I'd still like to see you go with a larger capacity unit. You'll find a use for it someday.

Paul
mihai914
Paul,

Higher capacity as in a 230V model?

The reason I'm making such a big thing out of this is that in Canada there are no online places to sell a good welder at a good price.

Only thing available is a Lincoln mig pak 10 or mig pak 15. Welding supply places ask close to $900 CDN (+ 15% taxes) for one of those good units when you can purchase from the states (weldinsupply.com) for $500 US quite a difference.

Same thing with bottles $300 locally vs. $75 online.

The local market sucks so much that I can probably resell a welder bought in the US and make a profit!

Same shit applies to buying car parts online. And while I'm at it beer is cheeper in the US also mad.gif

Sorry for the rant, I feel better now

Mihai
URY914
You seem to have more than just welder issues. smile.gif

Paul
riverman
Mihai,

Try Praxair. They have a model called the Lincoln SP100-T. It's the same as the SP-135, but it has a step transformer and wire-feed - and it costs about $200 less.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.