Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to get cheapest quality rear brake calipers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
funk
At first I thought oh everyone has these but then online once you goto the cheakout box it says item unavailable, unless you want to buy top shelf prices at pelican? any way does anyone know where to get rebuilds? Best price for rear calipers or front and rear?oh yeah for a 1976? but really some people may want to know early?Thanks
Matty900
QUOTE(funk @ Feb 1 2017, 05:25 PM) *

At first I thought oh everyone has these but then online once you goto the cheakout box it says item unavailable, unless you want to buy top shelf prices at pelican? any way does anyone know where to get rebuilds? Best price for rear calipers or front and rear?oh yeah for a 1976? but really some people may want to know early?Thanks

Try Eric at PMB http://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes/Late_914_Rear.html
ConeDodger
How important is stopping to you? confused24.gif
mepstein
Eric at pmb. Because it's alway cheaper to get it done right the first time.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 1 2017, 05:58 PM) *

Eric at pmb. Because it's alway cheaper to get it done right the first time.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
ThunderbirdDrive
PMB all the way.
Just had my set of rears arrive over Christmas.
Great quality.
Now I need to wait for the snow to melt up in Canada and hibernation time to end.
horizontally-opposed
Cheapest + brakes

Sounds to these ears like discount + sushi

blink.gif

Ah, and "quality" isn't qualitative. I am sure you meant "high-quality," no? If so, PMB is a great place to start!
funk
thanks for the reply's yup stoppings nice!! I suppose its coming down to putting the money where it will count and saving things like new seals for later !! driving-girl.gif
Mikey914
Spend the money with Eric you will not be disappointed.

I'll be around later when you need seals biggrin.gif
cary
If you want to be frugal. Order the parts from PMB and rebuild them yourself.
They have a couple nice DIY videos on the web site.
Rears are fairly complex with the ebrake and air gap adjuster.

Factory fronts $380 each. Factory rears $1550 each.
NAPA, RockAuto and ECS Tuning have some off brand fronts at $50+, plus core charge.

Good Luck .................
Mark Henry
Wood stick, bolt and some hockey tape for the handle, done. biggrin.gif

Or you could do it right. slap.gif

shades.gif
dcecc1968
Perhaps OP meant "...cheapest, quality brakes..."?

The power of the comma
RichPugh
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Feb 2 2017, 09:41 AM) *

Perhaps OP meant "...cheapest, quality brakes..."?

The power of the comma

lol-2.gif I was thinking the exact same thing! I read "cheapest quality", not cheapest, quality"... haha
Andyrew
Cheapest?

Buy the rebuild kits from Eric and rebuild them yourself. Takes about 2-3hrs a caliper to rebuild them.
Tom_T
I think you got the message about Eric Shea's PMB restored calipers, which is what you want to get & be able to really stop, & not be replacing a cheaper rebuilt set later, which will cost more than doing it right at PMB the first time.

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog.html

That said, I want to add a word of wrning about a specific low quality rebuilder of brake parts for VW & Porsche of which you should beware. I'll warn you that you'll see some lower cost rebuilds by Cardone sold by many suppliers, & they're poorly done & have had many problems. I bought a set from the old Automotion group which were so bad & rusting in the boxes, that I sent them back immediately. Total crap!! stromberg.gif

So don't be tempted by stromberg.gif

Cheers beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
stugray
I have a set of recently rebuilt rear calipers with all parts and almost brand new porterfield pads.

Not certain of Early versus Late (didnt even now there was a difference), but they came off of a 71 car.

Mikey914
Sorry misread, you said cheapest quality, I don't think URO has made any yet, but until they do here you go, might be a push though dry.gif

Wonder if they need an updated Periodic table to reflect the new element they are using craponuim biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 2 2017, 01:45 PM) *

Sorry misread, you said cheapest quality, I don't think URO has made any yet, but until they do here you go, might be a push though dry.gif

Wonder if they need an updated Periodic table to reflect the new element they are using craponuim biggrin.gif

What??? blink.gif No hockey tape on the handle! Are you nuts man???? screwy.gif

My solution was a simpler design biggrin.gif
krazykonrad
Rear brake calipers are expensive because of the parking brake set-up. If I'm right (which I rarely am) the only car to share the 914's OEM rear brakes is some model Ferrari. So the Ferrari guys buy them all up.

That second sentence may be totally unsubstantiated BS, but I heard it somewhere, so I'll repeat it here.
Dave_Darling
I believe the Ferrari in question is the 308. The Ferrari version has larger pistons than the 914 caliper has, but is just about the same otherwise.

--DD
mepstein
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 2 2017, 06:54 PM) *

I believe the Ferrari in question is the 308. The Ferrari version has larger pistons than the 914 caliper has, but is just about the same otherwise.

--DD

308 and 914-6 are the same casting and piston. Expensive from either marque. 914-4 is completely different.
funk
Whoa now we are talkin serious auto history. For all AA haters just ignore this but I see centric sells rear for 100$ cheaper than PMB just so all you cheapos know!! but they don't look nearly as nice as pmbs!! I wonder if they are functionally as equal to pmbs?
914forme
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 2 2017, 06:54 PM) *

--DD

Except the bleeder screws end up on the bottom of the calipers. You have to re-machine them and add bleeders in the top. Or take them off and stick something between the pads to bleed them properly.

Oh and Eric, does that service also.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.