Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB - early brake pressure regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
mepstein
Want to buy, or trade for a part you need. Im looking for an early brake pressure regulator in good core condition that I will be able to use to have restored. (It can't be rusted beyond use please) I have a late model if you want to trade or other parts you might need. smile.gif
Email mark@markepstein.net
Thank you.
914werke
Mark how are you ID'ing the early from the late?
mepstein
I can show you the late so you know which one it's not. Thanks
stugray
I have a couple, post your pic so we can tell early from late.

mepstein
Late
bdstone914
I probably have a couple if you need one. PET shows the break between early and late at VIN 474 291752.
altitude411
So is this just a date code thing? early/late. Here are the early/late images from PMB site http://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes.html ( he uses the same photo for both early/late) and mine from my six and they all look the same as your photo... confused24.gif
* except for your rust and my dirt/filth biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
No, Eric may use the same picture but the two are different. Bruce/bdstone, can you dig up an early one?
davep
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 2 2017, 08:32 PM) *

I probably have a couple if you need one. PET shows the break between early and late at VIN 474 291752.

Missing a digit there, but as I recall my 4742915749 is supposed to be on one side of the divide, but is actually not.
GaroldShaffer
Here are the two different styles. Haven't cleaned these up yet, but you get the idea.

Mark sent you a PM

bdstone914
Looks like Gerald has you covered.
mepstein
Garold - thank you. The effort you put into this was way more than any proffit you could hope to make but once again you help me anyway. beerchug.gif
Mark
Eric_Shea
Mark, the picture you have is of an "Early" not a late (T-fitting).

Here's the skinny, and, think "economies of scale"

Early pressure regulators had a fluid inlet at the bottom and a fluid outlet at the top. A single inlet was fine but, the outlet now needed to go to the left and the right sides of the car. A brass "T" fitting with a banjo bolt was employed to do the job.

The valve had always been bossed for multiple outlets but, only the one at the top had been tapped to 10x1. In Garold's picture above you can see the boss on the early regulator on the left (circled in green).

Later pressure regulators were simply tapped on the top "and" now the back side facing the firewall. The right side line went into the back and the left side went directly into the top. This did away with the more expensive components (brass T fitting, banjo bolt and copper washers). You can see the later one with the same boss tapped to 10x1 on the right (circled in red). Eliminating the T was a cost saving measure.

Click to view attachment

So... the down and dirty; early ones have the brass T, later ones do not. If your pressure regulator is missing you can tell by the VIN or, by your lines. Early ones have straight line ends that go directly into the T. Later ones have 90 degree bends at the end of the lines.
mepstein
One last question E - when was the transition to late?
I thought my '74 would have a late regulator on it but I guess it's an early one as well.
bdstone914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 6 2017, 06:47 PM) *

One last question E - when was the transition to late?
I thought my '74 would have a late regulator on it but I guess it's an early one as well.

Changed at VIN 47429 15751
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.