Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resealing transmission questions...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Hey guys!

I'm ready to start tearing into the transmission tomorrow. It's weeping from a number of places. I've done the input and output seals before, so that's no big deal.

My questions:

1. I've got a small leak at the shifter. Are there any things to watch out for when I start taking this apart? Any BTDTs?

2. Is it worth trying to replace the end cover gasket, or am I asking for trouble taking it apart? I don't think it's leaking, but as long as I'm in there... unsure.gif

thanks!

-Rusty smoke.gif
Brad Roberts
Tailshift or sideshift ?

B
Allan
As a fairly newbie I can only tell you from experience. That is limited to the seals you can replace without breaking open the cases. All of them are fairly easy as I'm sure you know. The shifter seal was actually one of the easier ones. Not much of a problem. Just make sure it is in neutral when you do it. I wish I could be of more help.
Rusty
Duh! biggrin.gif

It's a sideshifter.
Brad Roberts
Drain the gear lube.

Pull the two M8 nuts down. Make sure it is neutral. Small taps with a soft face hammer will get it broken free (we call it the shift console) Once you have it broke free of it's seal it will act like it is caught on something (it is). YOu have to hold your mouth just right to manuever it down and out of the hole.

Once you get it out and away from the tranny. Make a mental note of the orientation of the shift selector on the steel shaft that runs through the console. You will need to knock out the roll pin in the top or bottom of the steel shaft and remove one of the selectors. Then you can knock that seal out that is probably filling your plastic shift cover with gear lube. When you have it down.. you will also see the rubber "O" ring that seals the console to the tranny case. Replace it also. When I go back together I use a very small amount of sealant around that "O"ring. Clean up the case studs also.

I have parts sitting here I can shoot pics of if you need help. I'll be here for the rest of the day working off and on.

B
Rusty
Thank you, Brad. As always, your skills are unquestioned.

What kind of sealant do you prefer? Some RTV or a silicone?
Brad Roberts
Oh.. FYI: laugh.gif Bueller doesnt know his ass from a whole in the ground about trannies...LOL Sorry Mueller. For those watching at home... Mueller and I go way back.

RTV is fine. I use black so it doest look like "Orange" hell. Just a little bit.

You'll need a long punch or a crappy flat blade to knock the old seal out.

B
Trekkor
I did this in January, I think.

I managed to replace all the seals without draining the fluid, though.
( could have been a disaster )
( just had it changed, too )

Getting the roll pin out can test your patience. smash.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.