Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh Air Inlet Box and Fan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ross
Hi 914 World,

I heard today that that there might be some threads or videos on the process of removing the fresh air inlet box and fan/engine and just thought I'd ask if you all know where they are?

My plan is to replace the fuel tank & lines and while I'm in there to refurbish the air box & fan/engine. The fan unit currently doesn't work, but I heard that a good cleaning is what most of them need.

Thanks for any help, Ross
BeatNavy
One thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=243407

Also, create a shortcut on your browser for future searching: https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=00240834...772:ajvfxschcgc

Fresh air blower (I assume that's what you're talking about) is a pain. The basic overview is:

1. Clean the contacts inside the dash, first. Remove the ash tray and if needed remove the heater controls unit just enough so it'll slide out from the dash. There's a single nut that holds that assembly to the front firewall. Do not disconnect the cables unless you want a real project.

2. If that doesn't solve all your problems, you need to remove the unit up front. Check out the threads on how to do that. Requires removing the fuel tank, IIRC.

3. Clean up/refurbish the blower and connections after breaking those little clips that hold the pieces together.

4. Have fun putting it back.

Before you do get in there, buy one of those seal replacements from 914Rubber, and consider getting some 1" drain hose to replace the old plastic one that's in there.

914_teener
agree.gif

I did it twice.....

Check and service your windsheild wiper arms ...grease ....lube and make sure everything works for the next decade.

That.s why I did it twice.
Ross
Thanks Guys, This has all been very helpful. Don't know if I'm quite able to follow it all... and I'm feeling a little intimidated... but I am going to try it soon. In my case, the fan motor next to the gas tank doesn't work, so I will clean it all out. Do you all know if I would be able to split up the projects 1. Clean out the motor box in the trunk and 2. do another project of cleaning the sliders inside the car? Or should I do then both together?
BeatNavy
Not sure what you mean confused24.gif

Yes, start by trying to clean the contacts inside the dash. Those are ground wires that control the different fan speeds, and they often get dirty and pitted. Cleaning those may make the motor work again without having to pull it up front. Remove the ashtray to see inside, and you may be able to reach in there enough with swabs or something else to try to clean it up. You'll get better access, however, if you undo the nut that holds those controls to the firewall. That will let you remove the whole assembly from the dash a couple of inches without disconnecting any of the cables.

Even if you plan on going under the hood and removing the motor assembly, you need to clean those controls. You don't want any more resistance on those circuits than is already there by design.
clapeza
My blower motor stopped suddenly, so as part of the while-I'm-in-there cleaning and sealing my fuel tank, I pulled the blower box. Took everything apart and found the blades wouldn't turn by hand. Further disassembly, all the way down to the bare motor, found a tiny rock had somehow found its way inside, between the coils and magnets! Once it was removed, the motor now turns freely.
Now to get it all back into the car!
jim_hoyland
You have a nice project; if you go slowly and take pictures as you proceed, you will be able to post them with your questions. A lot of peeps have been down this road at one time or another; few have forgotten the agony of the project. Pictures will save you lots of time.

Good luck.... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.