Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension colors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Puebloswatcop
Hey guys, I am getting ready to blast and powder coat all of my suspension and steering parts, am toying around with changing the color from the basic black. Does anyone have any suggestions, maybe pictures to help me decide?
mepstein
Satin black, gloss black

Yea, I'm partial to keeping it black. biggrin.gif
Krieger
The Stones said it best "paint it black"
bdstone914
Dayglow hot pink. Dont fear to be different.
914Sixer
What ever you want biggrin.gif
struckn
Black and white BAR CODE. smile.gif
Front yard mechanic
Peach screwy.gif
Montreal914
Other than black, common colors are these, but pink would stand out blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
amfab
What color is the car?
Olympic 914
I went with a Charcoal color, it was called Glimmer and has a little metallic shine to it. this color would probably go good with a lot of body colors.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
amfab
That charcoal looks nice
914_teener
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Feb 4 2017, 10:20 AM) *

I went with a Charcoal color, it was called Glimmer and has a little metallic shine to it. this color would probably go good with a lot of body colors.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That blue is so freakin cool looking.

It is definitely my favorite 914 color....

Next to Ivory White of course.

Puebloswatcop
Thanks for the suggestions and Pics.
To those who recommended pink, WTF.gif thanks allot, now I can't let my wife on here or I will be painting hers pink...Hell she made me buy her a pink toolbox when those came out....lol.

The car hasn't been painted yet, so I guess once I decide on a color for the car I will see what I think would look best, but I may just stay with a satin black
My 914
I am partial to red. It complements most colors and adds a nice detail to a car.
IronHillRestorations
I'm a factory look kinda guy.
Puebloswatcop
Okay, so I have decided to go with a dark charcoal color. The calipers are a bright red so I think it will look pretty nice when done.

Again to those of you who said pink, the wife saw that and now wants me to paint her 914 pink. Told her no way no how , will never happen.....Thanks you guys.... av-943.gif
Jett
I went with whatever elephant thought was best smile.gif. I asked for a stock look.
mbseto
I remember going to the vintage races at mid-Ohio as a little kid. I saw a suspension painted yellow and thought it was the coolest thing. All the linkages stood out and you could easily see how it worked. That experience was formative for me, helped turn me into a car guy.
PanelBilly
Nice colors.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 11 2017, 10:31 AM) *

I went with whatever elephant thought was best smile.gif. I asked for a stock look.

Man that does look sharp......
Puebloswatcop
So I liked the look that 914 Teener had. The dark Charcoal just looked sharp. So I went to my local Powder Coating shop, Platinum Powder Coating, in Colorado Springs. The folks there were very helpful and I chose a dark Charcoal with fine metal flake in it. They coated 16 parts and the price was more than reasonable. I did blast the parts which saved me about 25% on the cost.

After Blasting

Click to view attachment

Powder Coated

Click to view attachment

And thanks to Elephant Racing it is now going back together.

Click to view attachment

Now I have to decide on the color of the strut housings, I am thinking Red or Yellow....They are Konis,. Any Ideas?

beer3.gif piratenanner.gif
mepstein
Looks great!
Puebloswatcop
since my rear Konis are yellow I think I will go with Yellow for the front struts as well, hope the combination looks good drunk.gif
boxsterfan
Paint the suspension aubergine.
bulitt
Keep it a neutral color so when you discover the rest of the car is rotted the suspension will look good on any color tub biggrin.gif

Ask me how I know.... mad.gif
AZBanks
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Feb 4 2017, 11:20 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I would say that you stole my idea but since you did it first, I guess I'm stealing yours.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Mar 14 2017, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Feb 4 2017, 11:20 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I would say that you stole my idea but since you did it first, I guess I'm stealing yours.

Not sure I would call it stealing, I would call it sharing drunk.gif
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 14 2017, 05:54 AM) *

Keep it a neutral color so when you discover the rest of the car is rotted the suspension will look good on any color tub biggrin.gif

Ask me how I know.... mad.gif

Oh believe me I know. I have done allot of work to this one already. Most of the really bad stuff has been repaired sawzall-smiley.gif
tazz9924
Click to view attachment Just gonna set this here
Puebloswatcop
ar15.gif So pissed off, my Lemforder ball joints came in so I was going to mount them in the arms.....the damn nuts that go on will only thread part way. The nuts that came off the old ball joints (original Porsche) thread all the way on so it isn't the new ball joints, problem is with the new ring nuts, I would send them back but I cant friggin remember where I bought the damn things.....Just broke down and ordered the damn things from Porsche, pretty expensive but pretty damn sure they will fit properly. sheeplove.gif
Elliot Cannon
Paint them black. They'll eventually be black anyway. av-943.gif
Puebloswatcop
So I finally got all of the parts to re-assemble the control arms
Click to view attachment
The Lemforders are here
Click to view attachment
And here are the ball joint fasteners and washers....from Porsche... a tad on the pricey side but you cant beat the quality...Besides, I like the German Writing
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
As you can see the quality of the Porsche part (on the right) far outshines the POS part that I cannot remember where I purchased it...In fact they are so proud of what they manufacture, they engrave it....
Click to view attachment
And here it is installed, torqing these to 180 lbs by yourself is a bitch, wish I had the jig
Click to view attachment
So now I just have to put the lock washers on and the cotter pins in and they are done.

One step closer biggrin.gif
Larmo63
Once you drive the car for a while, it all ends up being pretty dirty in there. It's a bit disappointing after all the thought that goes into building these suspension systems, but what the hell, these cars are meant to be driven. driving.gif
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 25 2017, 10:12 PM) *

Once you drive the car for a while, it all ends up being pretty dirty in there. It's a bit disappointing after all the thought that goes into building these suspension systems, but what the hell, these cars are meant to be driven. driving.gif

That is true, I am going to drive the hell out of them both when they are back together..... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.