Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flashing red brake warning on combo gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveO90s4
Hi all,

1975 model, now with the infamous flashing brake warning light. I had the oem master cylinder and front callipers overhauled when I bought the car about a year ago. Recently I could hear the flasher unit clicking as I drove, and now this has 'grown' to the red light flashing too. I have confirmed that the park brake switch is working properly. I can stop the flashing only by disconnecting the wire from the reconditioned master cylinder. There is no reset switch on that master cylinder. I am very confident that the brakes are working properly: good pedal feel, stops straight and well, no residual pressure holding any brakes on, etc etc. I have no reason to believe I need to bleed air out of the system or do any other work on the brakes - other than for this flashing light issue.

I've done lots of searches, but other than for disconnecting the offending wire / switch ( which I'd much prefer not to do) I'm unsure what to do next. Maybe buy a new switch for the reconditioned master cylinder?

All suggestions very welcome.

Thanks

Dave
Krieger
Hi Dave. Are you sure there is no switch on the master cylinder? It is on the unit that screws into the side of the master cylinder. The wire your talking about is plugged into it. The "switch" is just a small black rubber pin/nub that sticks out of the side of that unit. Just push it in with your finger 3-4 mm. You can get at it without jacking up the car. Just turn the steering wheel all the way right and get your body on the ground.
DaveO90s4
Hi Andy, well I'm pretty sure. I looked and looked and looked while I had the car up on the hoist. I'll go and have another look tomorrow and post a photo / findings.

Thanks

Dave
bdstone914
If there is no switch there must be something in the hole plugging it.
Dave_Darling
See if you can get a decent pic of the switch.

--DD
914Sixer
Switches from 74-76 all have reset button. Make sure the rubber tip is on it. If it is missing a a small white dowel will be sticking out instead.
DaveO90s4
Hi all,

Photos attached. Can anyone see a reset switch anywhere?
DaveO90s4
And one more photo
914Sixer
Interesting, the switch is a early style with one pole not two. Never seen one like that. I can post a picture tomorrow of a NOS switch with reset button.
DaveO90s4
Thanks Mark, I'd appreciate that

I see this switch is sometimes referred at as the brake light switch. Maybe the two pole version does activate the brake lights. But not on my car - on my car the brake lights are activated by a contact switch inside the car under the wooden floor boards. That is working properly.

Maybe I need a new single pole switch with reset button?

Dave
eyesright
I tried and tried to fine the cause of my '76 flashing brake light...I hate to admit it but I finally just pulled the lead off the flashing bulb.
boxsterfan
Had same flashing brake light on my 1974. Was never able to find the problem. I too never saw a reset button on the MC. Who's got a pic of one?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(eyesright @ Feb 4 2017, 08:59 PM) *

I tried and tried to fine the cause of my '76 flashing brake light...I hate to admit it but I finally just pulled the lead off the flashing bulb.

Same what I did on my 75 since 2012. Never had a problem with it anymore.
80cap
This thread just solved a problem I was having! I couldn't find the source causing my flasher relay from clicking. It is the brake switch on the master cylinder. Now I have the same problem as in this thread. I pulled the wire and now more clicking but as mentioned my master cylinder doesn't have a switch.
Brian screwy.gif
80cap
After disconnecting the brake warning wire from the master cylinder my interior light wont work on the door switches. The ground path to the switches opened. So now I have a continuous buzzer warning when the key is on telling me the brake warning light is supposed to be on but now the interior light works again. screwy.gif
Dave_Darling
The switch without a reset button is supposed to reset itself when the balance between the two circuits is restored. Could be that this one is sticking somehow?

--DD
80cap
When I get a good pedal I'll let you know. I am also have trouble bleeding these brakes. the system is all new from PMB.
914-300Hemi
I just replaced my master cylinder from pmb iand now the brake light is flashing. I guess I will reset the wire from the MC and see if that fixes the issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.