Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More new parts comming soon Late relay board cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Just finished doing a test pull on the "late" style covers. Went with a slightly thinker plastic and these are very sturdy, but look just like OEM. Will post up a GB as soon as we have all the costs figured out.
rjames
Nice!
914Sixer
aktion035.gif Sweet !
mtndawg
I'm ready when you're ready.
Mikey914
Anybody got a picture of the rubber band. Thought I did, but needed to get that finished too.
Rob-O
Finally! Can't wait!!
914werke
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 4 2017, 04:52 PM) *

Anybody got a picture of the rubber band. Thought I did, but needed to get that finished too.

I have an OE one on my LE. smile.gif
914Sixer
AA is selling them on Ebay . One small and one large. Why can't you just use nitrile O rings? You can buy them in bulk what ever the sizes are.
bdstone914
Where do the rubber bands go? confused24.gif
Rob-O
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 4 2017, 08:55 PM) *

Where do the rubber bands go? confused24.gif

'76 models (and I believe some '75's) had a rubber band across the top holding the cover on. You can see a few indentations for them on the top of the cover.
Rob-O
I think this was all hashed out before, but did the earlier, angled relay board covers have those indentations on them?

Will these have holes drilled in them for the versions that used a threaded rod and knurled nut to hold them in place? I seem to remember this long thread about the subject.
Mikey914
The tops are basically the same with the slant being the main difference (for clearance on the retractable seat belts. The hole for the rod mount can easily be drilled as it has a locator on the part. I can do it no problem. I'll take a look again and see if I can get the info off that thread. From my recollection the rubber was not gray. The bands can be made simply enough, but nitrile is not ideal for this application.
Rob-O
I'm okay with drilling the hole myself, but others may not. Of course you won't want to drill all of them, since the '75/'76 guys won't need that. Having a locator should make it super simple.

I agree that nitrile wouldn't be good here. I'd guess the engine bay heat would speed up the deterioration of nitrile. But there has to be something that's already out there that you could buy in bulk. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

I seem to remember seeing both black and grey bands on the later cars. I certainly could be wrong about that.
porbmw
Are there rubber bands that also attach the battery cover to the battery...would they be the same/or similar?

And

Rubber bands that go on the end of the "early jacks"?

GregAmy
Dammit...I opened the thread after reading the subject, thinking you were actually going to make "late relay boards"!!!

Someone needs to make (or refurb) those things, the problem are cropping up all the time...and those boards are not getting any younger...
Mikey914
I just want to make the bands for this the correct color. Why copy a copy?Especially if it's not correct. I thought these were black. And not a round profile, but rectangular.
Need some CWs to set me on the right path here.

Also do have the jack strap (early Bilstien) rubber to make the mechanism return, as well as the rubber end bumpers (doughnuts).

Mark

http://shop.914rubber.com/Bilstien-jack-ru...m?categoryId=-1
Mikey914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 6 2017, 12:03 PM) *

Dammit...I opened the thread after reading the subject, thinking you were actually going to make "late relay boards"!!!

Someone needs to make (or refurb) those things, the problem are cropping up all the time...and those boards are not getting any younger...

I know that Brad Mayer is doing a refurb service. Try 914LTD.
MArk
Mikey914
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Feb 6 2017, 11:47 AM) *

I'm okay with drilling the hole myself, but others may not. Of course you won't want to drill all of them, since the '75/'76 guys won't need that. Having a locator should make it super simple.

I agree that nitrile wouldn't be good here. I'd guess the engine bay heat would speed up the deterioration of nitrile. But there has to be something that's already out there that you could buy in bulk. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

I seem to remember seeing both black and grey bands on the later cars. I certainly could be wrong about that.

Yes,
This should be a simple process, I'm sure that I can do this pretty easily, I'm just trying to determine the "correct" profile, and color. The problem is that if the part is not exactly like the OEM, and the alternative is the only option, eventually you see more of the non OEM get installed and it's had to determine the correct part as many have both.
Rob-O
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 6 2017, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Feb 6 2017, 11:47 AM) *

Yes,
This should be a simple process, I'm sure that I can do this pretty easily, I'm just trying to determine the "correct" profile, and color. The problem is that if the part is not exactly like the OEM, and the alternative is the only option, eventually you see more of the non OEM get installed and it's had to determine the correct part as many have both.

Makes sense. For what it's worth, I remember them as having a rectangular profile as well.
porschetub
Wow looks great Mark thanks for the pm,can't wait to get mine ,using an early one and I have to remove the relay board to get my cover off which is a PITA.
brant
I need my name on the list when it is ready
Rob-O
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 7 2017, 06:02 AM) *

Probably already implied by my previous posts, but...me too!
StratPlayer
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 7 2017, 07:02 AM) *

Ditto
Mikey914
One more question for the brain trust. I know there is a big band on the top where does the small one go?
type47fan
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 7 2017, 04:53 PM) *

One more question for the brain trust. I know there is a big band on the top where does the small one go?

I'm not aware of the previous threads or discussions regarding these parts, so this might be redundant.

In checking through the 2010 914 PET, I found reference to the "cap" (relay board cover), P/N 914.610.111.13 AND the "round seal", P/N 999.701.445.40 for said cover.

Searching p/n 999.701.445.40 yielded three vintage Porsche applications:

911 Turbo '76-'77 K-Jetronic "round seal" 70 x 5

911 Turbo '76-'77 Turbo charger & waste gate "round seal" 10 x 5

914 '70-'76 "round seal" for "cap" (relay board cover) P/N 914.610.111.13

Rich (rdauenhauer), do you have a picture of the "round seal" on your LE?
Mikey914
PLease pics appreciated. As posted AA was selling 2 bands, I'm only aware of one.
Mikey914
Spend teh day working on these will have pics tomorrow.
Mark
914Sixer
Pictures
Mikey914
I was trying to find a picture of the OEM installed. The I think the band I made is too thick (rectangular), but it these are round I do think it looks right.
Anyone got an OEM?

Rectangular
Mikey914
Round

And where would the 2nd band go (if there is one)?
sithot
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 9 2017, 02:21 PM) *

Round

Here's a picture of a '76 cover and band. Up until 2008 this car won just about every concours it was entered. Last shown at the Charlotte PCA Parade. (not mine)
Click to view attachment
sithot
Me too on the cover. Thanks!
Mikey914
Covers in stock - Just not listed I guess that helps.
sithot
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 31 2018, 05:28 PM) *

Early, not late?

Thanks
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Mark when you make it, PLEASE do not punch the hole in it, let the final user do it as the hole is what ripped the cover to begin with. We have a lifetime supply of battery and relay board cover original factory bands for the cars, as well as the knurled nut that we had made as an exact reproduction. Should be a good compliment to your cover.

The relay cover band was used on the 75 76 models only as the factory found out that the stud was ripping the covers.
Mikey914
QUOTE(sithot @ Jan 31 2018, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 31 2018, 05:28 PM) *

Early, not late?

Thanks

Both in stock, early is already listed ~
http://shop.914rubber.com/Early-style-rela...m?categoryId=-1

The late will be listed tomorrow
No holes drilled. Gotta Check I had got sidetracked making them when I got the call for upgrade.
Krieger
QUOTE(sithot @ Jan 31 2018, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 9 2017, 02:21 PM) *

Round

Here's a picture of a '76 cover and band. Up until 2008 this car won just about every concours it was entered. Last shown at the Charlotte PCA Parade. (not mine)
Click to view attachment

WOW! I have never seen that before. I need one of those bands!
Mikey914
I have both of these listed up now.
Thanks for reminding me. It's kind of funny, I have many other parts I've made that I haven't even gotten listed yet. You will see these soon too.
mark

Late -
http://shop.914rubber.com/Late-Style-Relay...m?categoryId=-1

Early -
http://shop.914rubber.com/Early-style-rela...m?categoryId=-1

pvollma
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 2 2018, 01:31 PM) *

I have both of these listed up now.
Thanks for reminding me. It's kind of funny, I have many other parts I've made that I haven't even gotten listed yet. You will see these soon too.
mark

The cover on my 76 is OK, but it is missing the band. Will you have the bands available as a separate item? I don't see a band as part of the cover listing.
Mikey914
Yes will get them listed up this next week. Threw Sean out 2 different versions. Let me know what you think.
mark

Also interestingly enough the early has the band indentations as well.
nditiz1
Can someone shed some light on the whole rubber band vs screw down top? I have here a picture of my PO modified relay cover that is think, but has cracks and epoxy on it. I went to replace it with another one from a seller on here and didn't realize I picked up an early style, oh well. Anyway I was so happy to see Mark made the late style one, BUT am I to use the rubber band on this new one or drill a hole in the top?

IPB Image
Mikey914
You can go either way. I personally used the stud with nut and washer on mine as the rubber band has to go behind the board against the wall and I was too lazy to remove the board to put it in place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.