Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nickle Plating Gas Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mowog4
I am making sone repairs to my fuel tank and was told anytime you welded a gas tank it should be sealed. Instead of the chemical sealers, I am thinking about having it nickel plated. It was done on a friends motorcycle and worked great. Any thoughts?
Ed
bdstone914
You want to plate the inside or outside?
Mowog4
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 5 2017, 05:18 AM) *

You want to plate the inside or outside?

Inside, to prevent rust from the welds
jmill
No idea but it sounds cool. Plate both sides and polish up the outside.
bdstone914
I dont think it is possible or needed.

The inside of the tank has a huge baffle. not even sure if nickle plating would seal anything. based on the used tanks i have seen i dont think any coating was used originally.
mb911
Why not yellow zinc? Cheap and would prevent rust.
IronHillRestorations
Find a Gas Tank Renu shop in your area. Great process for fuel tanks. Just have them do the inside. It's worth shipping the tank if required. It's been several years, but the last time it cost me about $250.

They won't give you the lifetime guarantee if they don't do the inside and outside, but since our cars tank doesn't live in the elements, you don't need to have the exterior of the tank treated, and you can paint to look oem.

http://www.gastankrenu.com/loc-dealer.htm
Amphicar770
Gastank Renu in NJ did my tank (Fingers Radiator). I had them do the inside and outside but had them leave the top of the outside unfinished. Just hit that with some epoxy paint as it is all you see once tank is installed.
Mikey914
i think playing the inside would require a setup with the electrode inside the tank???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.