Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Koni Shock Refurbishing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
See: http://performanceshock.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=3965

I just removed all 4 Konis ( Red Sport) and rear springs from the 914; had anyone used Performance Shock to rebuild shocks and does their pricing make rebuilding a better bet than purchasing new ?

And, what might a set be worth as cores for rebuilding ?
mepstein
People get shocks rebuilt for 2 reasons
Custom valving
Rebuild of older shocks that are unique for the car.
Just getting a regular shock rebuilt is usually close in price to new once 2 way shipping is added in.
Krieger
I've been to and have used PSI in Sonoma. I had them dyno test a pair of shocks. They are a quality organization if you decide to rebuild. I would not hesitate to use them. Last time I checked Koni Reds are not availlable so rebuilding existing is a great option. I think Koni yellows are still availlable, but are stiffer in their adjustment range. I found the same that mepstein did. Rebuilding is the around the same cost as replacements of you can find them.
bdstone914
I think Koni reds are available from Paragon Products. I would be curious as to the pricing. I have a crate full of Koni red shocks have need rebuilding.
Bruce
sled9146
I have also used them with great results. They are very thorough and do high quality work. Among the advantages of rebuilding, you can change the bounce or rebound to better fit your needs. As tires get better and horsepower gets higher, the original settings from 1970's production may not fully meet your current needs.
ConeDodger
They're about two miles from my smog shop if you want me to stop by and check them out. I hear good things about them fro Eric Purcell who took over McMarks spot in the business park. He's a MIT trained engineer who has been a race engineer since forever...
Tom_T
Hey Jim,

First, if you're the original buyer of them on your 914 since May 1980, then they're covered under the Koni Lifetime Warranty, see here:

http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/About/Warranty/

If not, or if they just want you to exchange out, then you can have them restored by Koni in Hebron KY, or by one of their approved Tech Centers listed at the link below, & Performance Shock is on their list - but there is also a SoCal TC on there too in Canoga Park - much closer to you. Just scroll down the Services block at the link below:

http://www.koniracing.com/services.cfm

PS - Here is the ProParts Services info for Canoga Park at the link below:
https://propartsusa.com/pages/shock-services

Maybe see if anyone on here has used ProParts?? confused24.gif

PSS - A few years back, someone at Koni had told me that the resto/refurb of vintage Konis still owned by the original owner & done by the Koni Service Center in KY is covered by the lifetime warranty, but you should call them to verify that is still the case.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
The warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship. It does not repair, rebuild or replace worn out shocks.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2017, 11:24 AM) *

The warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship. It does not repair, rebuild or replace worn out shocks.

That was not what I was told by the Koni Rep in 2011, Mark.

Of course, I only have about 15,000 miles of street use on mine after my 1980-83 rolling resto (Resto #1) then stored in my garage since 5/85, so he may have felt that anything non-cosmetic that needed replacement would've been defective.

Jim (or anyone else) should check with Koni on that.

Even if it only covers the defective part(s) of a restoration/refurb (if any), then that is a bit of cash saved, & makes it worthwhile to use Koni's center or authorized 3rd party centers.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
jim_hoyland
Since I replaced the Konis with new Bilsteins I wasn't thinking of using them again; but rather, getting them into the hands of someone that could use or needs them. I'll call them Monday to get some pricing
Tom_T
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 5 2017, 01:13 PM) *

Since I replaced the Konis with new Bilsteins I wasn't thinking of using them again; but rather, getting them into the hands of someone that could use or needs them. I'll call them Monday to get some pricing

Out of curiosity Jim - Do you prefer the ride of the Bils over the Konis (when new)?

When I was looking into my new shocks during my first resto i 1980-83, I drove 914s with both Bils & Knois, as well as stock Boge - but preferred the better ride/handling of the Koni Reds.

Those Koni Reds sill be a nice core set for someone wanting them, I'm sure.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
horizontally-opposed
Have had PSI dyno dampers for me, and know folks and friends who have used them on everything from old cars to a Carrera GT and a 997 GT3. My experience was superb, and that's all I've heard from others. PSI appears to be a great resource, and knows its stuff.

I still have a pair of worn out rear Koni reds, and the cost to rebuild sent me to new Bilstein HDs. But I learned I am a Koni guy, not a Bilstein guy (unless Bilsteins are custom re-valved...). So I am thinking about having my rear Koni dampers rebuilt by PSI at some point. They can also turn them into double-adjustables, if you wish. But that gets expensive enough that I start wondering about Von dampers or something else.

In any event, PSI is worth checking out further. I wouldn't hesitate to work with them. Just seemed super knowledgeable and super professional.
Tom_T
I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the SoCal Koni authorized service group Pro Parts in Woodland Hills CA? confused24.gif

ProParts Services info for Canoga Park at the link below:
https://propartsusa.com/pages/shock-services

Like PSI, they're one of the three 3rd party Koni Tech Centers on Koni's list.

TIA beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914_teener
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 5 2017, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 5 2017, 01:13 PM) *

Out of curiosity Jim - Do you prefer the ride of the Bils over the Konis (when new)?

When I was looking into my new shocks during my first resto i 1980-83, I drove 914s with both Bils & Knois, as well as stock Boge - but preferred the better ride/handling of the Koni Reds.

Those Koni Reds sill be a nice core set for someone wanting them, I'm sure.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Won't speak for Jim Tom but I went from the stock setup with Boge...brand new...to Bilstein Sports with 140 lb progressive springs.

Night and day difference at least for me. You can also have custom valving for the Bils.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2017, 09:04 AM) *

Custom valving
Just getting a regular shock rebuilt is usually close in price to new once 2 way shipping is added in.

Yes and no on bilsteins smile.gif
The fronts are worth getting rebuilt, the rears are not.

Don't know if this is the same for the koni's.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 5 2017, 06:34 PM) *

Custom valving

I don't pay for shipping when I buy through the shop. But I looked on Amazon and they sell bilsteins for $143 with free ship. So it probably won't be much cheaper for someone to send in cores to get rebuilt and pay shipping in both directions. I think the Amazon price is less than my - wholesale - shop price. blink.gif
Brett W
I have used PSI twice, since Koni NA stopped doing in house work. I didn't have any major complaints with PSI"s work, but they can't recharge Koni shocks. So you essentially get de-gassed shocks which in my book is a problem. PSI doesn't have the equipment to recharge Koni shocks and they don't seem to have a problem with that.

After trying Bilsteins on my car and several customer cars, I am no longer recommending Koni products. The Bilsteins are such a better option. The nice thing with the Bilstein products is the parts inside are all the same from stock parts to race parts. You can take basic Bilsteins off the shelf and run them as stock non adjustable shocks, then you can pull them apart, add double adjustable shafts, different valving, etc. The sky is the limit.
Tom_T
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 5 2017, 02:11 PM) *

Won't speak for Jim Tom but I went from the stock setup with Boge...brand new...to Bilstein Sports with 140 lb progressive springs.

Night and day difference at least for me. You can also have custom valving for the Bils.

Keep in mind that when I got my Konis, my 914 was my DD, so 140s would've killed me for the long distances I was driving from OC to UCLA for grad school, work, life, etc.

Plus, I'm guessing you've done yours in more recent times on an older car than they were in 1980, & that the Boges may have been tired by then, if not a replacement set.

However, I agree that the stock Boge was not great & more soft/compliant, which was why I liked my Koni Reds!

Nowadays in my 2nd resto/repair project, I want to keep the old school Koni Reds with the old school Koni Red "Special D" with the "winged shock" logos, so I'll get them restored by Koni in KY! smile.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
jd74914
QUOTE(Brett W @ Feb 5 2017, 10:04 PM) *

I have used PSI twice, since Koni NA stopped doing in house work. I didn't have any major complaints with PSI"s work, but they can't recharge Koni shocks. So you essentially get de-gassed shocks which in my book is a problem. PSI doesn't have the equipment to recharge Koni shocks and they don't seem to have a problem with that.

Really? screwy.gif How is shock oil cavitation not a concern?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Brett W @ Feb 5 2017, 07:04 PM) *

After trying Bilsteins on my car and several customer cars, I am no longer recommending Koni products. The Bilsteins are such a better option. The nice thing with the Bilstein products is the parts inside are all the same from stock parts to race parts. You can take basic Bilsteins off the shelf and run them as stock non adjustable shocks, then you can pull them apart, add double adjustable shafts, different valving, etc. The sky is the limit.

Interesting on PSI.

Yes, this is why I was talked into Bilsteins. I find the low-speed damping characteristics fine, even quite good, but I find the high-speed damping makes the car "fidgety" over small imperfections to the point of real annoyance. Even on HDs, my 914 simply does not have the smooth ride it did on Konis—and I've never met an off-the-shelf Bilstein Sport damper for the 911 I liked. Revalved, they can be wonderful—if someone knows what they are doing. I wonder if the 914 dampers are any better.

So maybe it's time to revalve the Bilstein HDs, but that can be a rabbit hole all its own.
Mark Henry
Reading some interesting info on rebuilding and revalving shocks. It doesn't look that hard. The biggest cost would be a small nitrogen bottle and regulator.
Where would you put a schrader valve on a front bilstein insert?.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2017, 07:19 PM) *

Custom valving

I don't pay for shipping when I buy through the shop. But I looked on Amazon and they sell bilsteins for $143 with free ship. So it probably won't be much cheaper for someone to send in cores to get rebuilt and pay shipping in both directions. I think the Amazon price is less than my - wholesale - shop price. blink.gif

Wow....I see rears as low as $122 each blink.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 6 2017, 01:13 PM) *

Reading some interesting info on rebuilding and revalving shocks. It doesn't look that hard. The biggest cost would be a small nitrogen bottle and regulator.

Custom valving

If you are going stock, it's just not worth the effort to rebuild. I imagine they charge you to repaint or you have to do it yourself vs Amazon one click, shows up 2 days later, pull it out of the box and install.
I would like like to do something with the dozens of old shocks we have in bins but....
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 6 2017, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 6 2017, 01:13 PM) *

Custom valving

If you are going stock, it's just not worth the effort to rebuild. I imagine they charge you to repaint or you have to do it yourself vs Amazon one click, shows up 2 days later, pull it out of the box and install.
I would like like to do something with the dozens of old shocks we have in bins but....

Maybe not in the US, but if you can get a rebuild kit for $30 each it would be worth it for us cheap DIY canucks.
I'll have to look where to put a valve when I pull mine off soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.