Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Cans Stuck Open
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
m170seeker
So, I was driving with the headlights on and then turned on my running lights. I started to smell a little plastic burning (electrical) and I got a little smoke out of the dash vent next to the headlight switch. I turned both sets of lights off immediately but the cans stayed up. Now, everything seems normal but the cans are definitely stuck in the open position.

Any suggestions were to start? Fuses all seem solid.

JFG
Check the wiring in the front trunk where the loom splits off, goes throught the hole and up the rear of the bucket to the motor.

Mine had rubbed, shorted and melted.
m170seeker
QUOTE(JFG @ Feb 5 2017, 04:45 PM) *

Check the wiring in the front trunk where the loom splits off, goes throught the hole and up the rear of the bucket to the motor.

Mine had rubbed, shorted and melted.

Thanks. Ill look at that.
Larmo63
Are the relays installed? They are under the plastic covers.
Dave_Darling
The lights won't go up without the relays.

There is power going to the "headlights down" contact on the motor assembly the whole time the lights are closed. It is likely that your "headlights down" wire is not carrying power any more, or has some other sort of problem like that.

If you turn the knob on the back of the headlight motor clockwise, you should be able to get the light to go down.

--DD
Larmo63
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 6 2017, 09:09 PM) *

The lights won't go up without the relays.

There is power going to the "headlights down" contact on the motor assembly the whole time the lights are closed. It is likely that your "headlights down" wire is not carrying power any more, or has some other sort of problem like that.

If you turn the knob on the back of the headlight motor clockwise, you should be able to get the light to go down.

--DD

Ahhhh, I didn't read the first post.....drrrrrrr
falcor75
Take the fusebox down and start looking for crispy plastic... :-(
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.