Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk latch issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
summerfun72
Just bought this 72 and I'm already showing my inexperience. I am not a mechanic. Got the car purchased and into my garage. Popped the trunk, wiped it out and then closed it, but it didn't latch. So I kind of slammed it and it latched. However, now it won't open. The button just goes in and out. Now what?
mepstein
Try pressing down on the trunk while you unlatch the trunk.
If that doesn't work we'll go to step 2.
summerfun72
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2017, 08:27 PM) *

Try pressing down on the trunk while you unlatch the trunk.
If that doesn't work we'll go to step 2.
I'm ready for step 2. I have tried pushing down while pulling up. Pushing down while pressing button, while lifting up etc. The button doesn't seem to do anything at this point. I think I need to "pop" it somehow or take the lock/button off somehow. The "how" is the question.
mepstein
in the engine compartment, push out one of the cups for the top latch, and using a bunch of extensions, unscrew the 10mm bolts that hold the lower catch to the body.
IronHillRestorations
One time I used a 3 iron to operate the latch through the cup hole
altitude411
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Feb 6 2017, 06:16 AM) *

So there is a use for a three iron?... idea.gif

* I'll have to retrieve mine from the lake when it thaws... dry.gif
GaroldShaffer
Had same issue on a parts car. Sounds like the nub on the back side is worn short. Hold a shop towel over the lock, push it in and push down on the lid just above the lock. Now take a rubber mallet and give the pushed in lock a few firm whacks with the mallet.

Yes the lock got stuck pushed in, but once the trunk was open I was able to remove the lock and unstick it. If that doesn't work then yep, step #2 as stated above. It's a PITA, but can be done.
iankarr
try inserting the key into the button, turning it 45 degrees to the left and then pushing. Works on mine!
thelogo
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Feb 6 2017, 09:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Feb 6 2017, 06:16 AM) *

So there is a use for a three iron?... idea.gif

* I'll have to retrieve mine from the lake when it thaws... dry.gif

When swinging those long irons make sure to use your golf glove.

Unless your freddy couples flag.gif
summerfun72
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2017, 11:15 PM) *

in the engine compartment, push out one of the cups for the top latch, and using a bunch of extensions, unscrew the 10mm bolts that hold the lower catch to the body.

Damn. I did it. It wasn't easy, but it worked. Thanks for the help.
mepstein
beerchug.gif

welcome.png
SO.O.C914er
Indeed welcome.png the more you touch your car the more you will need the brain thrust of 914world.
Rand
QUOTE(summerfun72 @ Feb 8 2017, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2017, 11:15 PM) *

Damn. I did it. It wasn't easy, but it worked. Thanks for the help.

Nice. Post some pics!
summerfun72
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Feb 8 2017, 09:47 PM) *

Indeed welcome.png the more you touch your car the more you will need the brain thrust of 914world.Turns out is was the cam piece on the back of the push button that had broken off. I ordered a new one from that place in Atlanta. Should take care of that issue. Now on to next issue. The trunk has two pivot type spring bars that tension the lid as it goes up. One side is fine and the other side has come free. The trunk opens kind of lopsided. I tried to push the other side back and latch it, but the tension is to much for me. I'm going to need a cheater part rigged up somehow on this one. Any thoughts?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.