Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 score of the Century
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
dcheek
A very good friend on mine scored what I think could be deal of the century. He is a VW collector and has restored/modified many air cooled VW's over the years. He is not that familiar with Porsches and has asked me to give him advise as to what he has purchased and what he should do with it.

I got a call this past Sunday that he purchased a Porsche 914- 6 from an estate for $1000.00 !!! Of course, the first question I asked was what the serial number was to determine if it was a real "6". Turns out that it was a '74 converted to a "6". From the pictures it looks like it has an early naturally aspired 911 motor. My question is where is the serial number on the motor? We are curious as to how old the motor is and determine what the displacement could be. The motor does turn and there is no outward signs of rust including the Hell Hole.

Tomorrow I will accompany him to inspect further and take some more pictures. I would like to find the engine number at that time.

Dave

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Shadowfax
Awesome find! If your buddy wants to triple his money let me know and I'll take it off his hands lol-2.gif
I think most 911 engine numbers are near the fan shroud. An expert will chime in soon I bet.
db9146
You can find the engine # on a 911 engine to the right of the fan on an "upright" support near where the fan shroud meets the right cam chain housing (facing the fan).
dcheek
QUOTE(db9146 @ Feb 6 2017, 07:27 AM) *

You can find the engine # on a 911 engine to the right of the fan on an "upright" support near where the fan shroud meets the right cam chain housing (facing the fan).

Will I have to remove the right air cleaner?
tomeric914
QUOTE(dcheek @ Feb 6 2017, 10:31 AM) *

Nope. Stick your camera in there and take some pics. You'll find it.
dcheek
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Feb 6 2017, 07:51 AM) *

QUOTE(dcheek @ Feb 6 2017, 10:31 AM) *

Nope. Stick your camera in there and take some pics. You'll find it.

Thanks. I will post more pictures tomorrow.

Dave
struckn
popcorn[1].gif

WOW!!!!! That has got to be the best deal ever from what is indicated so far. Hope so, probably can buff out the paint too?
R_u_dd
What a dream to find a six, even an original four with a six. That setup in running form would cost about $30k to build. If you have to rebuild that engine it may still run you a pretty penny, but you've got a great starting point. That's a great find for the price!

Do us a favor and post updates on what you have to do to get it running.

Great story.
Mark Henry
blink.gif Wow and I thought my boy scored a deal.

Doesn't matter if that car is a total POS, just in parts seen it's worth more than 4x what he paid for it.

The bad is he can forget about winning the lotto biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
You can use your iPhone to take a picture of it. Location is as noted on the drivers side next to the fan.
Larmo63
The type of motor is located facing up close behind the engine serial number. This may shed more light on what engine you have in the car.

The carbs alone are worth twice what he paid. I wonder if the flares are steel and if they were well done?

beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 6 2017, 01:56 PM) *

The type of motor is located facing up close behind the engine serial number. This may shed more light on what engine you have in the car.

The carbs alone are worth twice what he paid. I wonder if the flares are steel and if they were well done?

beerchug.gif

Since it has warts, I'm betting glass. It just seems to work out that way most of the time.
rgalla9146
The serial number is on the drivers side of the fan support, it is arranged vertically
facing the relay board.
The engine type number is near the serial number and is on the horizontal
surface, you'll need a mirror to see it.
The type number will tell you what it started life as.
This format.... 901/ ?? or 911/?? or 930/??
malcolm2
Google it.... "911 engine number location"

This is from Pelican. I guess it is gonna be tuff to see with all the leaves in there and with the engine turned around.

Post says RED arrow in the S#, yellow arrow is the type.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I also found this info for figuring out what the # means in the same thread:

This decodes as:
6 = Engine designation, 6-cylinder unit.
2 = 911E (Type 911/01 if manual transmission, type 911/04 if Sportomatic.)
0 = Model year 1970 (basically same as ’71).
2183 = Sequential number (Sportomatic would be 8xxx).
timothy_nd28
What does the green arrow mean? confused24.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 6 2017, 03:32 PM) *

What does the green arrow mean? confused24.gif

I closed the page... but I think it was some kind of resistor.
mb911
That is awesome.. Very cool
PanelBilly
Right place/ right time!
My 914
It just goes to show you that there are still a few of those cars sitting out there!
dcheek
I'm bringing the following to inspect the car:

- kneeling pad
- flashlight
- strong magnet
- camera
- jack

Anything else you can think of?

Dave
pete000
Fiberglass fenders?
Dave_Darling
Bring a screwdriver, or other poking implement. Use it to test metal to see if it's thin enough to not have any strength.

--DD
porschetub
Certainly sets a new bench mark in the "bargain buy of the year'',I'am betting its a 2.7 if its an older conversion,these motors sold for peanuts years ago because they were the one to avoid.
I remember when I bought my 911 motor 18yrs ago,it was sitting complete on a wooden pallet in my friends VW shop,I said what are you doing with that and he replied" its for sale make an offer" I offered $1000 for it and settled on $1500,@ the time we had young kids and not a heap of spare cash,borrowed the money off the inlaws and the rest is history...ended up with a great running engine.
Can't wait to see updates on this thread,good luck to the new owner.
horizontally-opposed
Even if things like hell hole and longs need work, it was a score.

Even if it needs paint, and other visual things, it was a score.

Even if the mechanicals need to be gone through, it was a score.

In other words, it was a SCORE!!!

Car even has "the look," which isn't always easily achieved. Very cool find...
rgalla9146
QUOTE(dcheek @ Feb 6 2017, 07:43 PM) *

I'm bringing the following to inspect the car:

- kneeling pad
- flashlight
- strong magnet
- camera
- jack

Anything else you can think of?

Dave

ME ! smile.gif
Luke M
Nice score... looks like a MFI engine see the pic. Looks like the heads are plugged up where the injectors would be located. 2.0 to 2.4 are MFI so case & model # would be a great help to id it.

Oh and take Rory with you he knows what to look for.. beerchug.gif
dcheek
Update

We have to wait until Saturday February 11th to meet with the person who is in charge of the sale.

I will post pictures and more information Sunday.

Dave
sixnotfour
exhaust is JPs old exhaust ???
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
SKL1
Wait- it has leaves, etc in the engine compartment- better not risk it...
dcheek
Picked up the car today (finally).
It has fiberglass fenders, Sparco seats with shoulder harnesses and Weber carbs. Underneath is very clean with suspension work, oil cooler etc.

Since the owner has passed away and he has no relatives, information as to what was done on the car unknown. From what his girlfriend said he spent 60K for the conversion from a guy in Washington state. It does look like a profession conversion. We are trying to get his name to ask all the necessary questions.

Supposedly, its been sitting outside for a year but it looks like more than that to me. My friend, the new owner, is going to clean it up just to get a good look at what needs to be done. This is his first Porsche, and needless to say he is VERY excited.

The engine number is 46122821. I thought all 6 cylinder engines started with 6, not 4 ??? Can someone decipher the number to get an idea what year and displacement the motor is?

Here is a picture on the trailer ready to be hauled to its new home.
Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(dcheek @ Feb 14 2017, 03:53 PM) *

The engine number is 46122821. I thought all 6 cylinder engines started with 6, not 4 ??? Can someone decipher the number to get an idea what year and displacement the motor is?

I believe some of the late '60's engines started with a 4? I'll have to check my red book when get home.
defianty
QUOTE(dcheek @ Feb 14 2017, 08:53 PM) *

The engine number is 46122821. I thought all 6 cylinder engines started with 6, not 4 ??? Can someone decipher the number to get an idea what year and displaceme

Great find.

Are you sure that's a 4 at the front and not a star? 6 cylinder engine numbers are seven digits not eight. Ignoring the 4 at the front would make the engine a '72 2.4T which would of had MFI originally as someone mentioned.
dcheek
QUOTE(defianty @ Feb 14 2017, 01:51 PM) *

The engine number is 46122821. I thought all 6 cylinder engines started with 6, not 4 ??? Can someone decipher the number to get an idea what year and displaceme

Great find.

Are you sure that's a 4 at the front and not a star? 6 cylinder engine numbers are seven digits not eight. Ignoring the 4 at the front would make the engine a '72 2.4T which would of had MFI originally as someone mentioned.

It's definitely a 4. Maybe Hans was hungover on Monday when he stamped it!

Dave
Mike Fitton
Post a picture of the engine number it does not start with a 4, like above post must be a bad stamp of a star, is there a star at the end of the number?
defianty
There should be an engine type number stamped too in fairly close proximity to the engine number. They're in this format 9XX/XX, that will help identify the engine. My guess is it's 911/51.
mountainroads

Great find.

2.4T is a good guess and would be a logical candidate for a -6 conversion, since they were the cheapest and most plentiful. Black engine shroud supports that. (Black = T, Green = E, Red = S). The shrouds are somewhat swappable and paintable, so that's no absolute guarantee. Plus having the afore-mentioned MFI, as previously noted.

- MR
flyer86d
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 15 2017, 11:12 AM) *

Great find.

2.4T is a good guess and would be a logical candidate for a -6 conversion, since they were the cheapest and most plentiful. Black engine shroud supports that. (Black = T, Green = E, Red = S). The shrouds are somewhat swappable and paintable, so that's no absolute guarantee. Plus having the afore-mentioned MFI, as previously noted.

- MR

2.4 T MFI shrouds are yellow.

Charlie
mountainroads
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Feb 15 2017, 08:39 AM) *

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 15 2017, 11:12 AM) *

Great find.

- MR

2.4 T MFI shrouds are yellow.

Charlie

Good point. I was thinking older T's. One additional detail that might explain. Snipped from another site:

"the '73 shroud has a removable section that allows access to an engine mounted oil cooler nut that '72 & earlier shrouds don't. Alan Caldwell, August 2000 PANO, described '69-'73 shroud colors thusly:
911T-black
911E-green
911S-red
The exceptions: MFI 911T was yellow, and the '73 1/2 911T with CIS went back to black..."

So, if the original injection was CIS instead of MFI, the black shroud would be the correct color, *IF* the moter is actually from a '73 instead of a '72. I'm no expert. Are the CIS injector mounting ports the same as the MFI?. Also, MFI engines had a camshaft extension, drive pulley and additional tin work to make room for the drive belt. Unless someone went to the effort of removing the camshaft snout and building a cover plate, the pulley and/or snout should still be there. Otherwise, it wasn't an MFI engine to begin with.
- MR
Unobtanium-inc
Reminds me of one I looked at in CT several years ago, the leaves in the engine bay especially. This one was supposed to have been garaged, I guess there were trees in the garage, that dropped leaves...
I passed on the car, it was a converted 4. My PPI guy told me to run, don't walk.

$1000 is a super score!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 7 2017, 04:14 PM) *

exhaust is JPs old exhaust ???

Conversion done in Washington would lend itself to a triad exhaust like JP's

Great steal (score) biggrin.gif
brant
I was once told the 1973.5 CIA heads were
Unique to that model. Used to have a set
Long ago
porschetub
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 17 2017, 06:02 PM) *

I was once told the 1973.5 CIA heads were
Unique to that model. Used to have a set
Long ago

yes many run away from these motors due to the short production build and parts supply,on carbs they are a great motor if the original FI system has gone.
JmuRiz
People with '73.5 CIS cars would love to have those heads! I have a local friend that has one and it's a cool oddball engine.

Wonder what cam they have in that engine....hopefully it has an SC-grind if it still has CIS pistons.

If it's a full carb build with new pistons you're golden.
Will be fun to check and see what it has.
dcheek
Car going on the lift Sunday morning. We are supposed to have 60+ degree weather that day. More pictures to come, especially underneath.

Dave

P.S. Who is JP?
rhodyguy
I wonder if that is Jon bovey's ex car.
jd74914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 17 2017, 01:04 PM) *

Think you're right...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=95919&hl=

IPB Image
jd74914
If it is, here is the FS ad for it Dave. It would also mean your buddy got an even better deal with the TB diff and other new parts...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=104679&hl=
JmuRiz
Woah...that makes the find 100x better
914world crowd comes through again with the investigation
SirAndy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 17 2017, 10:34 AM) *
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 17 2017, 01:04 PM) *
Think you're right...

agree.gif

Great find indeed!
cheer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.