Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 score of the Century
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif Looks amazing. Can't wait to see it on the road.
daytona
Thanks Dave,
Those are really nice seats. I am trying to decide which seats to put in my conversion, but I find it difficult/hesitant to chose just from a photo and without actually putting my but on it.
Thanks again,
Bill.
Literati914
QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 5 2018, 07:29 AM) *

Front bumper installed with AA "plastic" bumper top. While it's a fraction of the cost of the correct rubber part, it doesn't look as good as the rear. This will be replaced.

Click to view attachment

Dave

Hate to hi-jack but I'm not finding this plastic bumper top at AA .. can someone help with a link or search term?
Geezer914
$1000.00 at an estate sale? Man you stole this car. You should play the lottery too. Nice resto job to put it back on the road. Enjoy it!!! beerchug.gif
dcheek
QUOTE(Dougster @ Jun 20 2018, 10:06 PM) *

QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 5 2018, 07:29 AM) *

Front bumper installed with AA "plastic" bumper top. While it's a fraction of the cost of the correct rubber part, it doesn't look as good as the rear. This will be replaced.

Click to view attachment

Dave

Hate to hi-jack but I'm not finding this plastic bumper top at AA .. can someone help with a link or search term?

Call George at Automobile Atlanta and ask him if he still has it.

Dave
dcheek
Had the rims of the wheels polished.

Click to view attachment

Wheels taped and ready to paint centers.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Dave

dcheek
Painting the hardware before re-assembly

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Dave
dcheek
Rolled the car out this weekend to check panel fit and affix spoiler.
I must say, the paint looks fantastic with the newly finished wheels.
Waiting for the dash to come back from the upholsterer so the windshield can be installed. Once that's done the engine will be fired up and carbs adjusted by the engine builder. The light can be seen at the end on the tunnel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif Looking good beerchug.gif
My 914
As you say, it's nice to see that light up ahead, especially as we get into the summer months.
dcheek
It's been some time since the last update.

New dash installed before windshield
Click to view attachment

Windshield installed with black "tape" instead of glue. Also, new windshield molding.
Click to view attachment

Rally clocks that were bought at Hershey this year installed where the radio would normally go.
Click to view attachment
Dave
DRPHIL914
looking good!! I have not put my new windshield trim on the car yet. Where did you get yours and how did it go on? any advice about the process , or just straight forward? Got my new trim from 914rubber to replace my worn original chrome trim. I am hoping it goes on as easily and the other came off. I also did new clips and used the butyl tape. - is that a brand new windshield? Got mine from Porsche dealer, seems to be a perfect fit.
dash looks super nice as well!
dcheek
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 16 2018, 07:39 AM) *

looking good!! I have not put my new windshield trim on the car yet. Where did you get yours and how did it go on? any advice about the process , or just straight forward? Got my new trim from 914rubber to replace my worn original chrome trim. I am hoping it goes on as easily and the other came off. I also did new clips and used the butyl tape. - is that a brand new windshield? Got mine from Porsche dealer, seems to be a perfect fit.

This is my friends car (and project). He's taking is kid to college. I will ask him all your questions and get back to you next week.

Dave
porschetub
What a good start and the work done so far is amazing,top marks smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif .
dcheek

Trim from AA. Went on pretty easy. Used metal clips instead of plastic. Windshield installed by a profession who supplied the windshield. Note tint at top. Here is a picture of the label on the glass.
Click to view attachment

Dave

dcheek
Minor setback.
Started motor for the first time since repair of cylinder/piston. Engine fired right up but was backfiring and would not hold idle. Checked EVERYTHING twice but could not find a timing mark on the flywheel. Decided to take it to Rennsmith in Dover NJ time get a baseline timing mark established to make sure that is okay. If there still is a backfiring problem we will experiment with carb jets. It sounds like its running too lean.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Dave

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dcheek @ Aug 20 2018, 12:25 PM) *

Trim from AA. Went on pretty easy. Used metal clips instead of plastic. Windshield installed by a profession who supplied the windshield. Note tint at top. Here is a picture of the label on the glass.
Click to view attachment

Dave

I am going to try and install mine tonight, hopefully it goes in as smooth as the old came out. My glass I got from Porsche, is Pinkington(OEM) no tint though on mine, wish I had done the tinted version. also had the person who does all of the dealerships installations do mine, took them like 10 minutes.
- any way, car looks great, hope you can get that lean running issue sorted out. - its not that hard to get the TDC established and marked, do the static timing and then mark your 27 degree as well. I did this while the motor is out and we were setting the valve clearances.
mb911
1 cam timed off by 180 degrees?? Btdt
dcheek
Engine is finally sorted out. Carbs needed adjustment. Finally on the road and what a blast to drive. Very fast (and loud).

Checked the toe in and it was way off. Used my Quick Trick alignment tool and adjusted accordingly. Now it tracks properly.

Just a few minor items to take care of. Like door panels. Looking for RS stile door panels with the pull strap to open door. I know they're made for a 911. Does anyone have a source for a 914 RS style door panel?

Loosening the tie rods to adjust the toe in:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Interior minus door panels:
Click to view attachment

Dave

Larmo63
Look on eBay for door panels, Appbiz makes them.
2mAn
just went through the entire thread... wow! a great score but an even better resurrection... RISE of the Phoenix! haha

I dont think theres ever going to be a situation where this car leaves the current owners hands now
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dcheek @ Aug 20 2018, 12:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Dave

if I had known metal clips were available I would have gone that way as well! I broke 3 new plastic clips when installing the trim!, this is not a job for the faint of heart. Tech tip: do not do this if you are tired, such as at the end of the day when you have been already fighting door seals that don't fit either, and you are at the end of your rope patience wise! I had to walk away and come back later. we did eventually get it in but I did have to replace several clips- yes its possible to do with the windshield in place but not easy! Anyway.... your car looks super! love the seats!!
billh1963
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 25 2018, 01:55 PM) *

if I had known metal clips were available I would have gone that way as well! I broke 3 new plastic clips when installing the trim!, this is not a job for the faint of heart. Tech tip: do not do this if you are tired, such as at the end of the day when you have been already fighting door seals that don't fit either, and you are at the end of your rope patience wise! I had to walk away and come back later. we did eventually get it in but I did have to replace several clips- yes its possible to do with the windshield in place but not easy! Anyway.... your car looks super! love the seats!!

You can replace windshield clips with the windshield in?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 25 2018, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 25 2018, 01:55 PM) *

You can replace windshield clips with the windshield in?

I did on 3, not easy but they broke and I didn't have a choice, if the gap is even all the way around, you can. I took the pin out and put the clip in place and then worked the pin into the center and pressed it in carefully with a plastic putty knife.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(dcheek @ Sep 25 2018, 06:03 AM) *

Engine is finally sorted out. Carbs needed adjustment. Finally on the road and what a blast to drive. Very fast (and loud).

Checked the toe in and it was way off. Used my Quick Trick alignment tool and adjusted accordingly. Now it tracks properly.

Just a few minor items to take care of. Like door panels. Looking for RS stile door panels with the pull strap to open door. I know they're made for a 911. Does anyone have a source for a 914 RS style door panel?

Loosening the tie rods to adjust the toe in:

Interior minus door panels:

Dave

Looks great and love seeing it back on the road. I see there is a lot of my little "additions" still obvious piratenanner.gif

What a great car. Thank you to the new owner for making this car right. beerchug.gif

I hope to come out some day and give her a spin.
dcheek
An unfortunate update.
This past Sunday on a the Garden State Parkway the hood flew up at 60 MPH.
The hinges hyper extended beyond the stops and bent the cowl on both passenger and drivers sides. We had to bend the hood hinges back with screwdrivers to get the hood back down for the ride home. Needless to say, hood pins are on order. While this is very sad event, nobody was hurt and it can be fixed.

Repair is already underway. The fact that the paint is fresh, and there is paint left over will assure a match.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Dave
Atech
QUOTE(dcheek @ Oct 3 2018, 12:57 PM) *

An unfortunate update.
This past Sunday on a the Garden State Parkway the hood flew up at 60 MPH.
The hinges hyper extended beyond the stops and bent the cowl on both passenger and drivers sides. We had to bend the hood hinges back with screwdrivers to get the hood back down for the ride home. Needless to say, hood pins are on order. While this is very sad event, nobody was hurt and it can be fixed.

Repair is already underway. The fact that the paint is fresh, and there is paint left over will assure a match.

Dave

what a bummer sad.gif
billh1963
How did that happen? Hood not latched or a defective latch?
falcor75
Oh man I feel your pain. I had that happen on my first car just after I had replaced both front headlights and the grille and hood after hitting a deer. The new hood and latch had sat outdoors on a junked car and the latch didnt spring back so on the first drive I smashed the new hood and windscreen.....
dcheek
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 3 2018, 10:16 AM) *

Really not sure what happened. My guess is it rattled out of adjustment due to the stiff ride this car has. Now I know why race cars have hood pins.

Dave
My 914
I like the look of hood pins on a 914.
JmuRiz
Bummer, had the same thing happen to my 356 right before I bought it from the previous owner.

356 owners all know that you need to pull up on the hood handle to make sure it really latched...no such luck on a 914.

I still have yet to get my cowl fixed...probably going to wait until I can afford a full color-change paint. Kudos to you for getting it fixed now!
RoadGlue
Oh wow, just seeing this now. Really sorry, but happy the repairs have already begun.

So I'm confused. The 914 have a safety latch. One pull on the cabin release to pop it, then it has a catch where you have to manually unlatch it by pushing down on the hood and then depressing the lever. I don't understand how it could have flown up even if the hood had been popped from the cabin or not fully shut.

I would triple check that the latch is correctly aligned.

I've never heard of this happening on a 914, though I'm sure it has.
mepstein
I would also make sure the lock and cable are lubed. If the lock pull did not return back to its neutral position, it might have let the latch remain open.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 4 2018, 04:31 PM) *

I would also make sure the lock and cable are lubed. If the lock pull did not return back to its neutral position, it might have let the latch remain open.

Very good advice.

However even with the latch open, the second catch should have prevented it from opening. Maybe it was misaligned during the rebuild process? I'm not at home, so I can't look at it, so I'm just going off memory.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dcheek @ Oct 4 2018, 08:51 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 3 2018, 10:16 AM) *

Really not sure what happened. My guess is it rattled out of adjustment due to the stiff ride this car has. Now I know why race cars have hood pins.

Dave

ugh! that sucks! well, 30 years ago i had the same thing happen to me on my ‘69 Austin Healey, made me sick to my stomach, and i had hood pins and forgot to put them in! ruined the hinges and attachment points on hood and bent the cowl so bad i had a gap under the windshield, so it could be a whole lot worse!
dcheek
Well, its been some time since my last post. There has been significant progress repair the damage of the front hood damage due to hyper extending the hinges on the Garden State Parkway at 70 MPH! Just have to repaint the hood and reassemble. Just in time for the New Jersey winter!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Dave
Larmo63
The owner should have repainted and re-installed stock side mirrors.

Those ghastly black ones need to go. barf.gif
sixnotfour
hood pins only work if you put the pins in ,,ask eric...the stock
safety catch should have prevented it ...
glad you got it fixed , really looks good driving.gif
mb911
Interested to see what the paint lines look like on the windshield frame? Am I missing something there? Only reason I noticed is I am working through that now and will be painting the frunk and windshield frame/cowl over the next few week's..
dcheek
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 5 2018, 02:06 PM) *

Interested to see what the paint lines look like on the windshield frame? Am I missing something there? Only reason I noticed is I am working through that now and will be painting the frunk and windshield frame/cowl over the next few week's..

Windshield trim was removed to be painted black with the rest of the brightwork.

Click to view attachment

Dave

mb911
QUOTE(dcheek @ Dec 6 2018, 06:02 AM) *

Windshield trim was removed to be painted black with the rest of the brightwork.

Click to view attachment

Dave

No I am sorry I meant on the cowl to A pillar there must be a tape line or a blend??
dcheek
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 6 2018, 07:56 AM) *

QUOTE(dcheek @ Dec 6 2018, 06:02 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Dave

No I am sorry I meant on the cowl to A pillar there must be a tape line or a blend??

Blended in.
dcheek
Update 12-20-18 - Repair to Hood Damage when latch let loose at 60 MPH

Hood straightened, painted inside and out. A pillar blended in. Everything wet sanded and buffed out. Time to reassemble everything.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Dave
PeeGreen 914
Looking pretty sweet. Wonder if he wants to trade smile.gif
dcheek
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Dec 20 2018, 04:18 PM) *

Looking pretty sweet. Wonder if he wants to trade smile.gif

Not a chance, sorry. He loves this car! But, you never know. If it is for sale you have the first right of refusal.

Dave
dcheek
Hood pins!

Click to view attachment

Dave

sixnotfour
first time for everything...never seen em like that before....

dcheek
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 23 2018, 02:23 PM) *

first time for everything...never seen em like that before....

I had the same response. It's going to interesting how it will attach in the frunk.

confused24.gif

We wil know by sometime next week.

Dave
dcheek
Installed newly painted windshield molding. Looks awesome.

Need a complete set of door panels including, passenger side arm rest and drivers side

map pocket. Posted WTB in classified.

Click to view attachment

Dave

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.