Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 score of the Century
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
sixnotfour
the car has all 914-6 parts for the conversion , OG done back east then Jon bought it.
brought to Seattle, Mike Crandall bought the 2.0 914-6 engine that was in it,

yes it is a 2.4 but not by numbers

motor specs
2.4 S spec heads new guides valve job
2.2 E pistons
E cams
std crank
resized rods
oil bypass mod
Lightened flywheel
Balanced
new rings, bearings,rod bolts,chains,gaskets.

Jon miles on motor ? probably 3k on motor ?

People with '73.5 CIS cars would love to have those heads! I have a local friend that has one and it's a cool oddball engine.

wow really I have a bunch of those heads and some nos pistons
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(dcheek @ Feb 17 2017, 08:36 AM) *

P.S. Who is JP?

JP Stein, late member here. Started with a 73 2.0 autocrosser he called "the Shitbox". Converted it to a 2.7L Six. Hand-hammered the flares to fit bigger rubber, roll bar/partial cage, good brakes, all the stuff you would likely want for an autoXer. Development continued...

Another guy on here, Britain, co-drove it with him for a while, then bought the car. And put a Scooby Turbo engine in it, and grafted Lotus Elise suspension components onto it, with trick inboard rocker-arm bits and the whole nine yards. The car is fast--and Britain is faster.

JP was an old curmudgeon, and willing to help out any time he could. Miss the old guy...

--DD
PeeGreen 914
unsure.gif blink.gif WTF.gif What happened to my car? barf.gif

Any chance your friend wants to sell it back to me? I miss this car so much. I had to sell it to save my house at the time but I have wanted to get it back ever since.

Jon

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 17 2017, 05:43 PM) *

Any chance your friend wants to sell it back to me? I miss this car so much. I had to sell it to save my house at the time but I have wanted to get it back ever since.

Jon

Jon-
You can never go home again, that includes cars. There is nothing worse than a car that left you in great shape, and re-appears in horrible shape. Let it be heartbreaking from afar, up close might be too much to take. Trust me, I've had cars come back around, and to see the sins of others is hard.
PeeGreen 914
Yeah, but this car is different. It's like a kid to me.
SirAndy
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 17 2017, 07:28 PM) *

Well there's a blast from the past!
beerchug.gif

PS: welcome.png
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 17 2017, 07:35 PM) *

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 17 2017, 07:28 PM) *

Well there's a blast from the past!
beerchug.gif

PS: welcome.png

Hey Andy smile.gif Yeah, it has been a while. beerchug.gif
messix
jon didnt you cut the rear body panel behind that valence?

that would be definitive id of your old car.
mepstein
Here's the old ad for the car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=104679&hl=
dcheek
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 17 2017, 05:43 PM) *

Jon

Jon,

After reviewing the pictures and description, this is definitely your car. Once again World comes through and solves another mystery. As Unobtainium has stated, I don't think you could stomach the return of your beloved 914. Time has taken it's toll. As mentioned earlier, this car has been left out for, what was purported to be a year. I'm positive its been way longer that that. And, to make it worse it was parked under a mass of trees, so leaves and debris have built up in all the crevices - much of it has turned to mud. There are also some rust spots along the top of the front fender that are perforated through. The paint is toast.

On the plus side, underneath and in the engine compartment look solid. Likewise with the rear trunk - solid as a rock, as it didn't leak. We can't open the front trunk. We will have to remove the bumper and manually release the latch. Like I said we plan on putting on my lift tomorrow to get a better look underneath and power wash the exterior to expose what needs to be done. I will post pictures of the progress.

I have convinced my friend to take the car on a trailer to a professional independent Porsche mechanic and racer. I've known this guy for 40 years and know his knowledge and ability. He will be hired to get the car running. From what I can tell the previous owner didn't use the car that much. He had many collector cars which were garaged. I guess the 914 had a low priority since it was relegated to the driveway. That being said I think that the motor is sound and can be restored to running condition without a teardown. You know, rebuild carbs, plugs, fluids, gas tank flush etc. should do the trick.
I just think this should be done be someone that has rebuilt many early 911 engines and can prevent a catastrophic event upon startup.

Unfortunately Jon, I don't think any amount of cajoling or money will pry the keys away from my friend. This is his first Porsche and he's on cloud nine.

Dave
PeeGreen 914
Well if he has any questions on it let him know I'm happy to help. I don't care the condition, I would like it back, but if not I would like to see it back to what it was.
sixnotfour
it had bubbles in the fenders cowl and at the taillights when Jon owned it...
your buddy should think of making a huge profit and buy a nice clean runner.. idea.gif stirthepot.gif popcorn[1].gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 19 2017, 08:41 AM) *

it had bubbles in the fenders cowl and at the taillights when Jon owned it...
your buddy should think of making a huge profit and buy a nice clean runner.. idea.gif stirthepot.gif popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif

I did over 95% of the work on her. Easy to whip her back into shape.

pete000
They should call this site "It's a small 914 World after all"
rhodyguy
After the Washington build comment it was pretty easy to figure out it was jon's car. Only so many fiberglass flared, red 6 conversions with Sparco seats in or from Washington.
dcheek
Spent all day today vacuuming and powerwashing. Got her on the lift. No rust anywhere except on the top driver's side fender. I will post pictures tomorrow.
Dave
jmill
OMG! WTF! That was my all time favorite conversion. I even had pictures of it for my computer wallpaper.
PeeGreen 914
He sure he doesn't just want to make a quick profit? sad.gif
dcheek
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 19 2017, 02:36 PM) *

He sure he doesn't just want to make a quick profit? sad.gif

It's a keeper, sorry but he's not flipping it. Trust me, he's got the money to do it justice.

Dave
My 914
Its pretty amazing and sad what neglect can do to a car. Looking at the picture of what it was in its prime, its hard to believe that someone would basically abandon it.
dcheek
QUOTE(My 914 @ Feb 20 2017, 04:34 AM) *

Its pretty amazing and sad what neglect can do to a car. Looking at the picture of what it was in its prime, its hard to believe that someone would basically abandon it.

I think we rescued it in time. Another couple of years outside would have done it in.

Dave
Front yard mechanic
Wish the po would offer to buy my rust bucket back
rgalla9146
That front spoiler looks great. Where is it from ?
greenie
QUOTE(My 914 @ Feb 20 2017, 04:34 AM) *

These are my thoughts also, I will never understand how someone can spend the money on something and then do nothing but let it rot.

Painful for Jon no doubt to see what's become of his baby.

This photo was taken of Jon's car and mine in June 2008.
I hope the new owner gives her the attention she deserves.

sixnotfour
Rember it was an estate sale, the owner is dead rip
championgt1
Bummer to see the car in the current condition.

Jon, long time no see. Hope you and your family are well!
billh1963
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 20 2017, 02:22 PM) *

I was thinking the same thing. Who knows what issues the PO was facing before he passed away.

Wile it's a shame the car was allowed to sit, I can certainly sympathize that a material object is the last thing you are worried about when facing an illness.
greenie
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 20 2017, 11:22 AM) *

That's a good point Jeff. RIP to the previous owner.

With an eye toward your future estate I would be willing to take the green six off your hands and offer a guarantee to keep her in pristine condition. driving.gif

dcheek
The Cleanup.
Rear trunk no rust
Click to view attachment
Front trunk no rust
Click to view attachment
Broken headlights and tons of debris underneath
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Only rust on top of drivers side fender
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Doesn't look bad after a days worth of cleaning
Click to view attachment
Bad gas pumped out
Click to view attachment
On my lift to check for rust - none to be found!
Click to view attachment
My '76 with the '74
Click to view attachment
pete000
Nice to see it re enter the World !

aktion035.gif
Beeliner
Fabulous!!!! Great car!! beerchug.gif

Now check the dates on the tires before you hit the highway....

A blow out would not be pretty now.
PeeGreen 914
SHE'S SOOOOO PURTYY wub.gif

I love that after all these years my "SPECIALIZED" oil catch tube is still there. lol-2.gif

dcheek
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 20 2017, 02:21 PM) *

I love that after all these years my "SPECIALIZED" oil catch tube is still there. lol-2.gif

We were a little surprised when we opened the lid and found that! I joked that you must have been teched at the track and forgot this item and hastily fashioned an oil catch.
Dave
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(dcheek @ Feb 20 2017, 02:38 PM) *

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 20 2017, 02:21 PM) *

We were a little surprised when we opened the lid and found that! I joked that you must have been teched at the track and forgot this item and hastily fashioned an oil catch.
Dave

Something like that biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
It cleaned up nicely. A well done conversion with some trick stuff for the cost of an oil tank. Your friend did well, VERY well.
Rand
It's heartbreaking that Jon had to let it go, and that it sat neglected, then picked up so cheap. But holy wow, what a save. Really happy to see it in the hands of someone who will give it better care. She deserves to shine again. To the new owner: You scored beyond belief and we hope you treat her well.
sixnotfour
Speedware was a speed shop in Bellevue WA ,, so it's kinda a sign of the times, and all that is needed..not sure what you expected ??

Congrats on a great 914-6,, lots of pnw memories ...
dcheek
Trailered to the mechanic today. They will start next week to get it running.
Dave
rhodyguy
unless the car has been seriously dinked with, other than fresh fluids there may not be much more to do. the car was well sorted, VERY!, prior to leaving washington. it will be pretty loud. sending a pm.
PeeGreen 914
Too loud? rolleyes.gif piratenanner.gif w00t.gif

This engine will go to 7500 RPM without issue and it sounds purty aktion035.gif
dcheek
Can't wait to get her going again to hear that 6 cylinder roar again.
Dave
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 24 2017, 03:02 PM) *

With E cams? Was it still making power up there? I can't wait to get mine running right and try, but wasn't thinking that it would be making power much past 6,800.

Calling, Mr C... Does yours buzz up that tight?

To the OP, you got yourself a heck of a car there. And especially for only $1k.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Feb 24 2017, 08:49 PM) *

With E cams? Was it still making power up there? I can't wait to get mine running right and try, but wasn't thinking that it wouldn't be making power much past 6,800.

sometime you don't need power, just a few more RPMs before the brakes are applied biggrin.gif
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 25 2017, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Feb 24 2017, 08:49 PM) *

With E cams? Was it still making power up there? I can't wait to get mine running right and try, but wasn't thinking that it wouldn't be making power much past 6,800.

sometime you don't need power, just a few more RPMs before the brakes are applied biggrin.gif

If I can get this darn MFI beat into submission I'll find out where the motor likes to run at the first autocross next month.

When I started this project years ago it was being built to compete with Jon in the original poster's new 914. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story as this car gets put back on the road.
PeeGreen 914
Mark, by the time you get your mfi figured out they may have the Phoenix all sorted out and ready to roll poke.gif
dcheek
Update.

Working on trying to free up the throttle shafts on the carbs. The are frozen in the idle position for so long. Depending on how that goes they shafts and bushings might have to be sent out to be redone.

Dave
PeeGreen 914
Perhaps it is time to go to some nice new PMOs laugh.gif
JmuRiz
Might as well seeing as the car was so cheap for what it is!
Or EFI biggrin.gif
dcheek
Got a call from the mechanic today. Great news, carbs were cleaned, linkages lubed, installed a new set of points and it started right up. Of course this was with an external gasoline source, as the tank is coated with rust. Tomorrow we are trailering it back to the owner's garage to pull the tank and work on the brakes and other items to get it back on the road.

The mechanic was impressed with the build and way it ran. He said that there was really nothing to worry about other than sorting out the gas tank issue and, of course, the brakes, fluids and tires.

I will post more pictures as work progresses. At least mechanically the motor is sound, so on with the show!

Dave

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.