Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 for 914....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
So now I've got a problem,

-My car is just about perfect for what i want right now, it's driving great, and most of the work I entended to do on it is done.

Today a friend of mine who has an 83 sc coupe offered to sell it for 10K or maybe a bit less.. I know the car, it's solid, no rust, maintenance is up to date, engine is strong, and doesn't "need any immediate work" what to do...there's no way I could keep both, but I could sell the 914, and use that $ and a bit more to buy this car...I've always wanted a 911, but I haven't even thought about selling the teener, and wouldn't even be considering it if this hadnt come along....

what to do.....help!
Aaron Cox
get a loan, refi the house wink.gif
JerryP
QUOTE (7391420 @ May 2 2005, 08:26 AM)
-My car is just about perfect for what i want right now, it's driving great, and most of the work I entended to do on it is done.

Why get rid of something that is perfect and just what you want.....unless it is not really just what you want? wink.gif
Eric Taylor
Don't do it man ohmy.gif . The 911 would be a great car, but it just won't be the same. You won't have the same pride of ownership as with your 914, because you haven't done the work on it, plus it's just not a 914!:)
Eric
well,

a 911 would have some advantages, such as a back seat, less rust issues, more comfy on the highway...I don't know, I just know that this is a good car, and it would be a good deal, but it pisses me off to think of selling the teener after all the work ive put into it..

Hawktel
Keep the 914. SC's are 10 grand all day long. Keep the 914 now you got it perfect, save up the 10 grand, and add in a SC to work on in a couple years and be the envy of all your sophisticated friends.

Also, I'd recommend not jumping into the 911 world without alot of attention and study. Your 911's have different issues, and getting a wrong one can easily ruin your day.
markb
QUOTE (Eric Taylor @ May 2 2005, 08:34 AM)
Don't do it man ohmy.gif . The 911 would be a great car, but it just won't be the same. You won't have the same pride of ownership as with your 914, because you haven't done the work on it, plus it's just not a 914!:)
Eric

agree.gif
DipShit
You garage SHOULD look like this!
Mueller
QUOTE (DipShit @ May 2 2005, 10:25 AM)
You garage SHOULD look like this!

your garage is just like mine...a running 911 and ataken apart 914, laugh.gif biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (7391420 @ May 2 2005, 11:36 AM)
well,

a 911 would have some advantages, such as a back seat, less rust issues, more comfy on the highway...I don't know, I just know that this is a good car, and it would be a good deal, but it pisses me off to think of selling the teener after all the work ive put into it..

you call that a back seat?

buy the 911 to park NEXT to the teener, don't sell the teener... too much blood, sweat, and tears to make it your own and then sell it..
I wish I could have both, but there ain't no way, the more I think about it the less likely I am to do it, but it is tempting.....I think part of the lure is the stupid 911 thing, but I really like the sc's and carrera's and they are great cars so its not just an emotional thing.. and it would be really nice to have a back seat where the dog/child could go... now, if I'm taking the wife somewhere, there's no extra room...
Joe Bob
I'm still kicking myself in the ass about selling my 914/6....I like my 911 but the ROCKET was something special....damn thing is rusting away in Santa Clarita....
Brando
Hmm... 911 SC...

Any unwealthy 914 owner (unwealthy would be one that doesn't have 20k just 'sitting around' collecting interest) probably shouldn't get into owning a 911. The newer ones just get more expensive. 911SC, although one of the BEST Porsches ever made (914, 911SC, 993 are the top 3 in my book) is not one of the cheapest. New fuel head--and new as in refurbished because NOS are non-existant--go for about $2k alone for the CIS system. Broken head studs? $3k-$4k for a new top end (total may vary with labor). New 'sporty' bushings all around? $1000-$1800. New, larger sways front and rear? $1000+. 911s are not for the faint of pocketbook.

And when you go from 914 to 911... you're moving from the world of a true sport car, to the world of a sport-luxury car. dry.gif luxuries = 400lbs of extra wiring and parts, who the hell needs luxuries?
william harris
No the perfect garage should look like this. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Hmmmmph....
markb
QUOTE (7391420 @ May 2 2005, 09:32 AM)
I wish I could have both, but there ain't no way, the more I think about it the less likely I am to do it, but it is tempting.....I think part of the lure is the stupid 911 thing, but I really like the sc's and carrera's and they are great cars so its not just an emotional thing.. and it would be really nice to have a back seat where the dog/child could go... now, if I'm taking the wife somewhere, there's no extra room...

I love our 82 SC, but if I could only have one, my underpowered 914 would win, hands down, every time. Just my .02
tat2dphreak
that looks like a Richard Meier house, Z... awesome shot! smilie_pokal.gif

Brando
Sammy, you're right.

I was taking into context the extent of possible cost of repairs. The changes I mentioned were akin to the same things most teener owners do to their cars. I'm planning on doing sways and new bushings together the cost is significantly less than the Early 911/911SC counterpart changes.
It's a tough call, first I'd need to sell the 914 and make some decent $ in the process. Even if I could afford to own both, I wouldn't because I drive the 914 whenever it's nice out, so one car would end up sitting all the time.

-I seriously doubt that owning an sc would be much if any more than a 914, the engines are bullet proof, the clutch on this car is new, and the cis injection has a great reputation.

-sure if I blew an engine that'd be big$$, but so would the 914, and while I do alot of work on it, I would not be re building any engines, that kind of work is over my head.. all in all, the biggest thing maintenance wise is that parts for 911's are much easier to get.

-the bottom line though is, I love driving the 914, we all know how much fun they are, I previously had an 87 928s4 5 spd, 951, and a 968, no question, the 914 is the most fun to own and drive.
Brando
OT but how did you like the 928 S4? I'd heard they could eat 911s all day long in the straights. So rare 'round here to see 928's i've yet to have the chance to play with one.
That car was pretty sweet, it was the fastest ride I've ever had and I never had any real issues with it, on the highway they are amazing, as in-keep driving it and you are going to loose your license amazing,.I remember a trip we took in it up to Montreal, in Vermont and for a bit over the border in Ca, we were crusing at 115 easy, and it still felt like we were going maybe 75, the car is that good of a cruiser. The down side, is those 911's will eat you up around the corners because that thing is heaaaaaaaaaaaavy! I put 17's on it, with avs sports and that made a big difference, but you cant hide the extra 700lb or so of fat that they carry around.. still a sweet car.
Britain Smith
Mine is the other way around...the 914 is my daily driver and the 912 is getting a facelift.

-Britain

user posted image
Root_Werks
$10k for an SC isn't a great deal unless it is some sort of low mileage car etc. If you have to borrow money to get the 911, pass. wink.gif
anthony
I disagree. If it's a very clean well-maintained car, $10K is a steal. People will say you can get SCs for $10K all day long. Yes, you can but they all need $3K in work and are 10 footers.

Still, 7391420, my advice to you is to stay with your 914. If you can't afford to buy the SC outright then forget it. Most 911s, even "low mileage" clean cars need a couple grand in this and that. People often defer the full service before they sell and almost all these cars need things like shocks, tires, ball joints, and bushings. Then you add in the torsion bar upgrades and all the while you are theres and you've dumped $3K into your SC in the first year. Sure, you can cut upgrade/maintenance costs drastically if you do it all by yourself. It's just like a 914 in that regards so it doesn't have to be that painfull. Not all of us though are as skilled as Sammy and can't do an upper end for $1k let alone turbo charge our engine.

That said, I love my SC and I love my 914. They ofter vastly different Porsche experiences. (Insert here most of what Sammy said.) The SC offers power and comfort that the 914 lacks. The SC also gets looks and attention that a 914 doesn't (that's actually a negative in my book).
Michael N
If i had to choose I would get rid of the my 911sc over my 914. Although the 911 is faster it is hard to beat that low to the ground, well balanced, go-cart like feel of a running 914.
mistro
So now I've got a problem,

Today a friend of mine who has an 83 sc coupe offered to sell it for 10K or maybe a bit less.. I know the car, it's solid, no rust, maintenance is up to date, engine is strong, and doesn't "need any immediate work" what to do...there's no way I could keep both, but I could sell the 914, and use that $ and a bit more to buy this car...I've always wanted a 911, but I haven't even thought about selling the teener, and wouldn't even be considering it if this hadnt come along....

what to do.....help!

So 7391420 if your finished with your internal debate give me the guy's number, I'll buy it and you can drive down I-95 whenever you want to take it for a spin! Kinda like the boat theory, don't own one, just know lot's of people that do! Rgds, Michael who owns a boat and a 73 914 2.0
Gint
Best of both worlds! This question is what led me to buy my 914/6.

BMartin914
You'll regret it in the end dood!
nebreitling
QUOTE (Brando @ May 2 2005, 09:58 AM)
And when you go from 914 to 911... you're moving from the world of a true sport car, to the world of a sport-luxury car.

LMAO!!! only on this site do people regard an early 80's 911 as a sports-luxury car!! (and i agree!!! laugh.gif )

if it's got heating AND cooling, then it must be luxury!
Yeah,

it's pretty funny that a 22 yr old 911 with ac is luxury!,

"I disagree. If it's a vary clean well-maintained car, $10K is a steal. People will say you can get SCs for $10K all day long. Yes, you can but they all need $3K in work and are 10 footers. "

-I agree with that, this car is very tight, just had a 5k paint job (faded paint-no accident) has new tires, ssi exchangers, all the carerra updates, and a clutch with about 3k miles on it.

-I think it has about 120k miles, but its a nice car, well maintained, I dont think it's a steal, it's not perfect, but it's a good deal, we'll see...

-Adam
smrz914
Just one question. Do you really want to buy a car from a friend? I have always heard it's a bad idea. Just a thought.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (smrz914 @ May 3 2005, 04:12 PM)
Just one question. Do you really want to buy a car from a friend? I have always heard it's a bad idea. Just a thought.

it's a bad idea if they misrepresent it... it sounds like he has been around the car personally, not just trusting his friend... maybe I'm wrong though....

I bought my 914 from my best friend... best man at my wedding....

he bought it off ebay, planning on tinkering with it until he found a ghia he liked... he found a ghia before even picking the teener up, so I picked it up for him, paid him back... it was a much better investment than my previous 914(which I *think* dlee has now... )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.