Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: splitting gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
I've been looking at taking the rear covers off to aid cleaning, removing stuck bulbs and renovating.

I'm a tad hesitant though as i don't know what is loose inside. For example will springs fling out into the never to be found again place?

Can the outer rings be removed from the gauges?

I have the multi function gauge (temp fuel 4 lights)

Speedo and rev counter
mepstein
If you do a search there's a lot of info. Probably a - how to - on you tube.
McMark
The rings can be pried off. PITA, but not hard. Wear gloves for when you stab your hand with your prying screwdriver.
76-914
Mark's correct. You only need to bend up about 2/3 of the ring's radius before it will slide off. Nothing to lose when you remove the screws from the backside. beerchug.gif
porschetub
Face done on a flat surface with a cloth underneath,I used a combination of a blunt ended kitchen knife and various flat screwdrivers.
Don't forget to keep moving around the edge so you evenly pry open the ring,only open it a small amount @ a time,if you swear a lot don't worry its part of the job headbang.gif ,I have done 3 now,first one took the most time.
wndsnd
Can you get new rings and bezels when you screw them up the first time?

smile.gif
Ansbacher
Why doesn't someone create a special tool to do this? Like maybe some sort of gentle can opener. It's a horrible and time-consuming task. Please, someone!

Ansbacher
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Feb 8 2017, 06:57 PM) *

Why doesn't someone create a special tool to do this? Like maybe some sort of gentle can opener. It's a horrible and time-consuming task. Please, someone!

Ansbacher

I have them in stock!
$29.99 each plus shipping

IPB Image
Ansbacher
Mark, I assume you have them in metric? biggrin.gif

Ansbacher
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Feb 8 2017, 09:29 PM) *

Mark, I assume you have them in metric? biggrin.gif

Ansbacher

Butter of course! laugh.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 9 2017, 01:26 PM) *

Ansbacher

I have them in stock!

IPB Image

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif ,exactly what I have used.
pete000
If you mess them up like I have North Hollywood Speedometer has replacements. Not sure if they will sell them separate.
altitude411
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 8 2017, 05:26 PM) *

Ansbacher

I have them in stock!

IPB Image

Any chance I could get one in a left hand version or do I need to sit on the other side of the work bench?
914fahrer
The left hand version biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
rothaus
Paint can opener works as well.

IPB Image

Cheers
Engelbert
bdstone914
QUOTE(rothaus @ Feb 23 2017, 07:06 AM) *

IPB Image

Cheers
Engelbert

I made a tool like that from a flat blade screwdriver.
jkb944t
QUOTE(rothaus @ Feb 23 2017, 05:06 AM) *

IPB Image

Cheers
Engelbert

I just got done with a gauge disassembly and used a combination of a screwdriver and the butter knife. I can certainly see how the paint opener would have possible worked better than the screwdriver to get it started.

Jeff B
7TPorsh
North Hollywood Speedo just did an overhaul on my speedometer(see in pic) and they replaced the old chipped bezel with a good used one. It looked like the one on the clock. I ruined my old one just seeing if i could take it off. After 45 minutes it was off but totally tweaked. Unless you know what you're doing I wouldn't recommend it.

A lot of the 911 guys swap out 95% condition bezels for new ones so there is some good stock.

It would be great if 914rubber made all[u] the sizes....even the standard VDO size...I would love to pop new ones on all mine...

Click to view attachment
ruddyboys
Did this to a gauge a few years ago, when you bend them back then never look the same, the metal is wavy from bending.
iankarr
Yes, but the bending is usually covered but the rubber sleeve and invisible from the front. Totally agree that someone should invent a tool!
timothy_nd28
This is a tool for re-crimping the bezel ring back on. I've never seen a tool for removing a bezel ring.
Click to view attachment
porschetub
Yep agree.gif ,also I found out the hard way that the repainted bezel must be left to dry for as long as possible,they tend to get marked easily when refitting otherwise.
Would the professionals sell the bezels on their own ???,surely they would be doing themselves out of some business that way confused24.gif
timothy_nd28
I've been sending my rings to Bruce Stone for powder coating with great results. Since they are powdercoated, the paint doesn't chip when reinstalling.
I haven't found any company willing to sell new bezel rings, believe me I tried. blink.gif
7TPorsh
I think the pros heat them up and have some puller to take them of. otherwise they curl up like a guitar string...
914forme
confused24.gif

Not sure what is so hard about doing this. Sure the pro tool is very nice, some where some one has a complete article on how to do this poke.gif

confused24.gif
914forme
Found it

See anyone can do it shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.