Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Engine Drop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
well im gonna be prepping for the new arrival of the longblock so ive decided to pull the engine and tranny out of the car...so far ive got planned is to jack up the rear end high enough to pull the engine out. Build a wooden dolly for then engine to be rolled around in, and place jacks underneath the engine before dropping the engine just for safety incase the floor jack fails under the weight. But from there im clueless as to what else im gonna have to do.... confused24.gif thanks in advance

-Dan biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
check the pelican article, a great step-by step on removing the engine... some of the wording won't make sense until you see what they are talking about... pretty easy really...
Rand
Also search this forum for engine drop. There are quite a few threads with helpful info.
dlo914
thanks wayne...i'll do just that... confused24.gif hehe dur dur...i did that for the valve adjustment...should've thought of it off the top of my head wacko.gif smile.gif
neo914-6
make sure to drain ALL the gas and disconnect the line, don't ask me why... screwy.gif

lapuwali
You can BUY a wooden dolly that's perfectly adequate for $20 at nearly any hardware store. Check for appliance dollies. Engine and gearbox weigh less than 500lbs, so one of the 1000lb units will be overkill. However, I strongly prefer getting one of the motorcycle/ATV jacks for $60-80 instead. They'll support both in a flat position, and they have wheels on them. With the floor jack and dolly method, you have a balance problem getting the engine/gearbox up and down, and then have a problem of out to get it from the jack onto the dolly, and back. It's doable, it's just a pain. With the ATV jack, it's up, disconnect, down, roll away, fix, roll under, raise, connect.

jet1
Go slow. I messed up my engine tin when I dropped my engine. The tin and the fuel rails can get caught up as the engine starts to drop. Also, check that everything is disconnected ( trans ground strap). and the engine mount bolts will more then likely give you trouble, so spray them with something to loosen them up first. Good luck!
dlo914
wavey.gif THANKS GUYS!!!
rhodyguy
go and have the bottom of the car steam cleaned if it's still running! first thing! thank me later.

k
nebreitling
it's easy -- you can do it how you like with a little common sense and a view towards saftey.

disconnect
slow, controlled, and secure drop
roll out.

voila.
Jeroen
Check the "914 info" link at the very top of the page
go to "tech articles"
there's a very good article with lots and lots of good pics there...

Friends don't let friends go to the pelican site for info headbang.gif
Dave_Darling
And why not, Jeroen??

If you want my experience--
Double check all of your disconnections before you start lowering the engine out. I always forget to disconnect something--never the same thing twice! One time I looked up to see my battery tipped about 30 degrees over toward my engine, WHOOPS!! Good thing it was a sealed battery, or forgetting to uhook the positive battery wires might have dumped a lot of acid onto the poor motor and car....

--DD
Jeroen
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ May 3 2005, 02:30 AM)
And why not, Jeroen??

Somehow, I knew that would grab your attention laugh.gif
j/k of course

but sometimes people are looking for stuff that's right there under their noses
Dead Air
We just did this last week. I posted pic's. I like the pelican article about LIFTING the car instead of DROPPING the engine. Do a search for "Meet Ordella" All the problems you could have were already done there!!
skline
I think I have done it everyway you can, the safest way is lift the car not the engine. Take the wheels off and lower the car and engine on top of a piano dolly, unbolt everything and lift the car. It was pretty easy but do watch the engine tin and make sure you have everything disconnected before you take the wheels off. Piece of cake, I can drop one alone in about 30 minutes. That is after about 20 or so drops in the past. The first one took me several hours.
tdgray
Ah Yes but..... the real trick is putting it back in. ohmy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.