Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Severely OT: Jaguar Forums?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andy
So here's the blasphemous part - the teener just went away to make room for a ~40k mile Jaguar V12 XJS convertible. So not only is it an English boat of a water-pumper, it's a huge Concours Weenie vehicle too!

In my defense, my 914 never ran in my ownership, I bought it from a guy who was going to make it electric and never found the time, I was going to make it a V8 car but never found time, the new owner wants to make a racer (hopefully he has more time biggrin.gif). The Jag was Dad's mid-life crisis car, I have a lot of good memories of the car and really didn't want to see it go away after Dad died last summer... So I kept it.

So mechanicals are backing up on me (Always have with this thing), I have the room again to start fixing things, are there any good Jaguar Boards? I know I can't expect to find anything as good as 914club smile.gif , but is there anything worthwhile? Thanks in advance!

-Andy

PS Found jcna.com (one XJS post a week!) and jag-lovers.org (kinda cumbersome layout).
lapuwali
You're right, you won't find anything as nice as 914club. This place is VERY unusual (in many ways). Most single marque boards are, um, rather low quality, or zero traffic. This place not only has good traffic, but there's a wide diversity of people and wants here, not just racers or just concours weenies or just super-cheep fixer-uppers.

Let me know what you find, and if you don't find anything, let me know that, too. I may (alas) be forced to start one if there aren't any now. My father in law has a '74 E-type bought new, and keeps threatening to give it to my wife, which means it becomes my responsibility to fix up. And before you start drooling, it's a 2+2.

MattR
My little brother inherited a 76 jag xjs with a bad fuel pump. I did a bit of searching and found jag lovers, but i didnt like the layout either. I couldnt find much else though.

I know lucas electronics are really reliable and easy to fix, but a forum would be nice IN CASE anything ever goes wrong and I cant fix it in a few minutes wink.gif
GWN7
Try http://www.jagsthatrun.com/
Cap'n Krusty
John's Cars, in Texas, is your friend! Also, XKs Unlimited, in San Luis Obispo, CA, and East Coast Jaguars in DE. Worldpac resellers also have a pretty good selection of things you might need. When I still worked on Jaguars, I found the XJS to be one of the better models. The Cap'n
Hawktel
Now that Ford own's Jaguar, can't you just strip it down, toss in a Ford big block, Replace all wiring with something else, and call it good for Jag meets?
rick 918-S
Had a XJ6.... Cali car, blah blah blah. Ho hum, do da, snooze, wallet hurt all the time, I understand the sentiment but yawn...
sjhowitson
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

At least tell us year and all that good stuff. We need to see if it worthy to take the 914's place
Scott S
Had an XJ12 that we did the V8 conversion on - made a lot of calls/orders to Johns Parts. We are currently on the upward swing on an XK140 restoration. They can be fun, but we (my brother, dad and I) wont mingle with our local Jag guys/club - VERY pretentious (sp) and arrogant, and the only really nice local cars are either brand new or they are race cars (the race car guys are nice/fun). Very wierd group of people.... not fun weird like this group!
djm914-6
Jag site? I've lurked at Jag Lovers dot org for awhile.
http://www.jag-lovers.org/
Jeroen
My dad just bought a Jag last month (after driving only Porsches for 25 years, I guess he's getting old biggrin.gif)
S-type R
It's a 2002 with only 1500 miles on it ohmy.gif
4.2 liter supercharged V8
That thing hauls serious ass

No electric problems (yet) lol2.gif
Andy
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ May 2 2005, 11:46 AM)
Had a XJ6.... Cali car, blah blah blah. Ho hum, do da, snooze, wallet hurt all the time, I understand the sentiment but yawn...

Well of course snooze and yawn, you only had half the proper engine in there! rolleyes.gif

Seriously I have no misconceptions about the cars performance, it's a 1991 "Classic Collection" dad bought less than 2 years old (mid-life crisis) and it was a huge toy for him - I'm keeping it for sentimental value.

user posted image

It is a good looking car though, the motor seems to be very healthy or I would consider swapping out for a Chev - I am probably going to swap in a manual transmission though. Stupid factory three speed auto has always driven me nuts on this car. The Concours status of it is kinda funny to me, because if it stays with me that's out the window. (See the Jeep in the background!).

Has anyone had experience with Keisler Engineering? Their stuff is a bit spendy but looks like exactly what I want (sway bars and manual transmission).

Thanks for the input!

nebreitling
QUOTE (MattR @ May 2 2005, 10:23 AM)
I know lucas electronics are really reliable and easy to fix,

BUWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif smilie_pokal.gif laugh.gif huh.gif clap.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (Andy @ May 3 2005, 03:15 PM)

It is a good looking car though, the motor seems to be very healthy or I would consider swapping out for a Chev -

The V12 is a pretty robust engine. So is the six-cylinder, for that matter. The problem with Jags has never really been the engine itself, which is why I find the whole Chevy conversion idea misguided. For a long time, Jag had serious problems with suppliers of electrical and hydraulic parts, which the engine swap doesn't fix.

Lucas from the 50s to the early 80s used the cheapest crap available, which is why all of the (perfectly justified) jokes about Lucas arose. By the mid-80s, they'd shaped up sufficiently that they could nearly rival the Japanese in reliability. Today, their stuff is fine, except for the "vintage repro" stuff they made, which they reproduce all too well. How a roomful of engineers who lived in a wet climate expected bare brass-plated connectors to last longer than 12 months is entirely beyond me. Perhaps they were all sailors and expected you to polish the corrosion off the connectors constantly, just like they had to do on all of the brass fittings on their boats...

Jags were also famous for leaky power-steering racks, until the factory finally took a hard line with suppliers in the mid-80s.
MattR
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 3 2005, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (MattR @ May 2 2005, 10:23 AM)
I know lucas electronics are really reliable and easy to fix,

BUWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif smilie_pokal.gif laugh.gif huh.gif clap.gif

Im glad someone finially got that! dry.gif

lol2.gif boldblue.gif
mk114
I understand the attraction my best friend has a xj12 2 door and of course a corvette
I have the uphill battle to sway the oppion but to no avail

Lucas Prince of darkness
hehehehheheheheheh aktion035.gif
SteveL
For the last couple of yesrs, I have been struggling to keep Mom's 93 XJ6 alive. The best forum, by FAR, that I have found is:

http://www.motorcars-ltd.com/cgi-bin/Ultim...passCookie=true
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.