Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where's that smell coming from
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
so i just got my 914 from the mechanic after a fresh rebuild runs grrrreat. smilie_pokal.gif
but my wife says i stink after i drive it. sad.gif
i was quite excited when i drove back into the garage, but all my wife could say was "you stink".
i would love to use it as a daily driver, but i can't walk into the office smelling like exhaust fumes everyday.

any idea how i might fix this problem?

thanks in advance.
merrill
Buy a few pine trees and put them in your pockets upon exiting car laugh.gif I use the Vanilla ones wink.gif
JmuRiz
If you are running carbs there's not much you can do. If you have FI, check for exhaust leaks etc, maybe get a new rubber gasket for your fuel cap. I know I smell like exhaust when I'm done riding my motorcycles or 914, but that's because they are carbed.
Qarl
Try eating less beans...

Umm.. several things... If you heat isn't hooked up, cap off the heat inlets in the bottom corners of the engine pay with some spray paint can tops.

Check your fuel tank gas cap seal. Check the fuel lines underneath the tank for cracks.

It could also be pin-holes in the fuel tank depending on condition. Resealing the tank can cure that!

Otherwise, the exhaust smell is prevalent in most 914s.

Check for rich running conditions.
SirAndy
turn off the heater ...

if your heat exchangers are rusted, you'll suck exhaust fumes into the car through the heater tubes ...
wink.gif Andy
TROJANMAN
thanks. i had the smell before i took it in to the shop, but i was hoping the rebuild would make it go away.

the heat works, so it must be hooked up

i'll check the seal, but the smell comes only after a drive. it has been sitting in the garage for the last couple of days (damn the weather) and there is no smell.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 2 2005, 11:06 AM)
turn off the heater ...

if your heat exchangers are rusted, you'll suck exhaust fumes into the car through the heater tubes ...
wink.gif Andy

the mechanic polished those up real nice. i couldn't believe they were the same HE's. and i didn't realize they used stainless on 75's.
BMartin914
I've the same thing in mine Greg. My mother doesn't like it all, but the girlfriend doesn't mind - she loves the thing. wub.gif

I think the smell in mine comes from the heat. 30 year olh HEs and what not. Doesn't really bother me, just another caveat of the car. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (glstrojan @ May 2 2005, 11:09 AM)
and i didn't realize they used stainless on 75's.

they didn't ... the only way to get stainless is to buy a aftermarket exhaust, like the SSI ones ...
and they're not for 75/76 cars, you would have to backdate your complete exhaust system to run them ...

soooo, yours could be rusted inside ...
wink.gif Andy
Qarl
There were stainless HE exchangers for 75 cars, mine had them. Maybe not for the 2.0s, though.

Mine was a 1.8, and they were slightly different lookign then the regular SSIs, the tubing was more square... (if that makes sense).

JerryP
I had the same problem(if you have D-Jet that is). Couldn't figure out where the exhaust leak was. Finally got around to putting the SS heat exchangers from my parts car on w/new gaskets and hardware; also changed out the muffler. Turns out the tabs on my old HE's were rewelded on at some point and not very accurately. One of the welds was partially cracked and the fit at the head, between the gasket and the HE tube was not quite sealed. Location made it nearly impossible for me to see.

I was suprised how much difference that little leak appears to have made in driveability....and the smell my wife was always complaining about is now gone.

If your engine was just rebuilt, I assume your wrench replaced those gaskets but it might be worth a look to check the seal up in there.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Qarl @ May 2 2005, 11:31 AM)
There were stainless HE exchangers for 75 cars, mine had them. Maybe not for the 2.0s, though.

Mine was a 1.8, and they were slightly different lookign then the regular SSIs, the tubing was more square... (if that makes sense).

i have seen those, they *look* nice and shiny, but none of them actually were stainless ...

i have yet to see a stainless exhaust for the 75/76 cars ...
wink.gif Andy
TravisNeff
It can also be stank gas/oil smell coming out of the material in your seats. I didn't have heat but always smelled like I was wrenching in the garage when I hopped out of the car. The seat foam will soak in the smell and once you get it warm, your smelly too.
tdgray
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ May 2 2005, 11:47 AM)
It can also be stank gas/oil smell coming out of the material in your seats.  I didn't have heat but always smelled like I was wrenching in the garage when I hopped out of the car.  The seat foam will soak in the smell and once you get it warm, your smelly too.

WOW...great visual thanks..... icon8.gif

How can I poke out my minds eye huh.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ May 2 2005, 11:47 AM)
It can also be stank gas/oil smell coming out of the material in your seats. I didn't have heat but always smelled like I was wrenching in the garage when I hopped out of the car. The seat foam will soak in the smell and once you get it warm, your smelly too.

actually, i think it is more than that, because the whole garage smells after a drive.
jim912928
Mine really stinks....turned out to be oil dripping on the hot heat exchangers. Check to see if you have any oil leaks dripping...check the passenger side where you might get some leaking out of the oil cooler or the oil pressure sensor.
mightyohm
trade it in for a miata.

i think that is the only way you can realistically get rid of ALL the smells a 914 makes.

redshift
I am on #12, and I have never owned one that didn't smell like this.

Check for leaks, then steam clean the whole engine room, and underneath.

M
TROJANMAN
what's the deal with your avatar, that's pretty scary. unsure.gif
tommy914
Check to make sure your firewall isn't rusted through behind the back-pad.

Andyrew
If your heater stuff is disconnected, or taken off, make sure you plug the holes on each side of the car...

Duct tape werks good for this.

Andrew
redshift
QUOTE (glstrojan @ May 2 2005, 06:04 PM)
what's the deal with your avatar, that's pretty scary. unsure.gif

I googleimaged for... 'doom' and pow... first hit.

M

skline
Andy is correct, the 75/76 cars had aluminum heat exchangere on them. They look shiny if you clean them up. I can see where some would think they are stainless but they were aluminum. They never made stainless for the 75/76 models. Only the earlier cars.
MecGen
Yo Dude...
Listen...what bugs you the smell, or your other half yelling at you it smells.
If it just the GF, she is yelling "attention Please".
My Ex changed after I gave her her very own Porsche cup holder, the odd smells and noises went down a couple of notches...Funny I gave my new GF the same thing...
Its a old car, you will need to check a few perfumes, they need to match with your personal stink, the car, not you,
to cover the odor. I use a product called "Odor Knox" from Wynns or ProProd, smells kinda like bouble gum but it does a good job of blending with the ...smell. screwy.gif
This and a "New Porsche Cup Holder" did it for me. screwy.gif
Of course you have to check out all the other stuff listed before...make sure its not coming in from somewhere.
Wish you luck
Joe

beerchug.gif
Allan
Tell him a good joke and he smiles.

Qarl
Aluminum, schmoominum... what did I know... I was 16 at the time....

TravisNeff
You should tell her that is the smell of testosterone, better get used to it..
firstknight13
i have the same problem on mine. when i come in from a ride she says i stink!! but it was fun anyway!!! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.