Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suspension suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rotary'14
Hi all,

I have an interesting dilemma. I am changing my suspension over to 5 lug, and my front struts are '69-'71 pinch bolt type Boge struts. I've had the struts and M calipers for a long time, and I've accumulated all the rebuild parts for my caliper, and front brakes( new rotors, wheel bearings, etc), but I still need to buy some shock inserts and ball joints.
To be honest I didn't know about the difference in strut attachment and balljoints until I read some related posts on this and the bird forums. What I learned has given me some concern about the different methods to attach the strut to the ball joint.
As part of my 5 lug swap, I am going to replace the ball joints anyways, so should I buy some early style pinch type ball joints, and use all the stuff I've accumulated,, or should I go searching for some different struts to go along with the new latemodel wedge pin type ball joints (that would give me peace of mind)? How expensive can > '72 Boge 911 struts be used?

Thanks for reading,,
-Rob
Eric_Shea
You know Rob... I'm sure you may get some different "opinions" but I doubt if any of those forthcoming opinions have ever wallowed out the base of a strut.

You're probably guessing by now that I think you'll be fine with what you have. Just make sure it's torqued down properly and come back and check it after a week. You should be good to go. Get the old style ball joints for your struts and call it a day. If you're that into piece of mind you can probably find some struts for around $150 a pair.

I think this problem was rare. The newer style is better and solves the problem but I doubt seriously you'll ever have the problem.

All that being said... if you plan to race it "rigorously", look for the later model units and rest peacefully.

Hope that helps...
jgiroux67
I have a 73 and just put on 911sc struts. The ball joints fit in fine, but is there a problem with this set up? Should I get different ball joints? If so which ones?
Mueller
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ May 2 2005, 03:16 PM)
I have a 73 and just put on 911sc struts. The ball joints fit in fine, but is there a problem with this set up? Should I get different ball joints? If so which ones?

yours are fine, it's the earlier style that some people have had problems with..........early ones used a bolt that "pinched" the ball joint, the later style uses a wedge to hold the ball joint in the strut housing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.