Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil reservoir
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
So the cost of a aluminum oil reservoir is running 750.00 USD
does anybody in the club fabricate these units with baffels for less smile.gif
I am sure that the current cost reflects the lack of supply
or does the cost of 750 reflect the manufacturing costs, and the relatively low demand?
what i am saying is the cost of 750 for the tank alone seems kinda spendy mad.gif
Any other guys out there with the same delema idea.gif
TimT
I get oil tanks made to my drawings. The tank pictured is in our 935 clone, was custom designed to fit in the 911 smugglers box with zero cutting. This tank with -16 and -20 fitting and baffles cost about $340. Most of the big name stock car supply places that fabricate, can weld one up for a fraction of what "Porsche" specific tanks go for
sixnotfour
3 or 4 factory tanks sold for 400-600 recently, root bought a Patrick /vellios tank 500 ?
Keep your eyes peeled something will show up or pay the 750. If you want the stock location and want it now.

It is the most important part of the conversion, for the engine. Holds/supplies vital fluids.

Aaron Cox
Im sure someone like tim could make up a set of drawings for a tank that would fit in the stock spot wink.gif
Series9
I put mine up front for weight distribution. It's a Peterson oil tank that runs around $300.
Series9
It looks like this installed:
sixnotfour
Here is my departure from stock;
Peterson tank
sixnotfour
Installed, Only cut one hole It was big though. laugh.gif
Need to run puke tank line headbang.gif
sixnotfour
Im sure someone like tim could make up a set of drawings for a tank that would fit in the stock spot  

GPR already has , Don ,has posted here before and making more ? Root?
pete-stevers
I kinda like the idea of the peterson tank up front but would like to conserve trunk space, A stock 914-6 tank is my preferece, Does any body have the drawings for fabbing up a tank??? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ May 2 2005, 02:16 PM)
I kinda like the idea of the peterson tank up front but would like to conserve trunk space, A stock 914-6 tank is my preferece, Does any body have the drawings for fabbing up a tank??? biggrin.gif  :D

if your gonna have a tank amde, see if you can make it larger to hold more oil smile.gif

BTW- how close does a factory tank get to the fender opening? possible room to exploit for a bigger tank biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
if I i can make one......hmmmm ......perhaps a run of ten in stainless boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Aaron Cox
make it finned, and AL to dissipate heat faster wink.gif
McMark
Does the tank need to be at a certain elevation in relation to the engine?
jim912928
maybe we can just get a group buy from GPR or from a couple of the members in here that sell 914-6 conversion parts?...I need one!
sixnotfour
if I i can make one......hmmmm ......perhaps a run of ten in stainless  

Price Check Please , It is the internal plumbing for the filter and return to top of the tank to deairiate(sp) the oil through the baffle screen that is costly. BigD9146GT is the guy on pelican that was making them, his is more square so they held more oil, I think Eric Shea has had one.

Does the tank need to be at a certain elevation in relation to the engine?

Its best to be level with engine in elevation . mine is about 6 inches above, I think worst case is oil will run into sump after sitting a long time. 911's do that any way.

Stainless would be Cool ,If built properly , I would buy one for the right price of course.

I couldnt find the pics that were on pelican probably because he was selling em thru GPR
Mueller
stainless will cost more than aluminum for both the material and the fabrication.....stainless is a PITA to work with......
redshift
Let's see the inside.

We could have these things fabbed up in China for 100 bucks each, aluminum.

M
anthony
I'm sure if it was possible, it would have been done but what is the reason why people don't adapt 911 oil tanks to a 914?
Mueller
QUOTE (anthony @ May 2 2005, 03:47 PM)
I'm sure if it was possible, it would have been done but what is the reason why people don't adapt 911 oil tanks to a 914?

the 911 tank is a totally different shape so it wouldn't fit into the "correct" space without major mods to the sheetmetal....people have installed the 911 in the rear trunk, but I have yet to see one install that looked halfway decent....

if you are going to use a non-914/6 tank, the nice aluminum tanks shown are a better solution in my opinion....
Dave_Darling
I've seen a 911 tank used in a 914-6 conversion in the stock location. Sorta. The car had flares, which was the only reason the tank (mostly) fit. But it was a real hack-job, at least in that case. (Lapuwali should remember that car... wink.gif He probably still regrets selling it!)

BigD9146GT (or whatever his board-name was) also posted in the "club member products" forum on this site. IIRC, he posted the same photos here that he did on the Bird board.

--DD
Jeroen
I'd be interested in a drawing of a tank
Having one fabbed up isn't that expensive

The Peterson tank looks nice too...
But I want metric fittings, not AN
pete-stevers
Thats it exactly... why don't we find decent fabricator and build a bunch of them.... cool_shades.gif and save some cash idea.gif
Aaron Cox
make a drawing.....make it happen.

i still like my 'cooling fins' and 'increased capacity ideas' biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
I got a 911 oil tank to fit in the fender of a 356..... rocking nana.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 2 2005, 06:20 PM)

want a cookie there chubs? biggrin.gif
Series9
I'd be willing to weld one up in aluminum. It would be much easier if you use an external filter console.

If you want to send dimensions and fittings, it would probably only take a couple of hours.
TimT
Thats it exactly... why don't we find decent fabricator and build a bunch of them.... cool_shades.gif and save some cash

I get one-off tanks made for less than $400, Im sure if a run of the same tank was requested the cost would drop. I dont have a problem telling you all the fabricator, but I dont want to be involved in group buys etc.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 2 2005, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 2 2005, 06:20 PM)

want a cookie there chubs? biggrin.gif

I'm on a diet...but yer still ugly....
redshift
Be nice, he's just a kid.

M
Type 4
Why not just get a factory tank from Manfred.
http://www.m-freisinger.de/
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Type 4 @ May 2 2005, 09:29 PM)
Why not just get a factory tank from Manfred.
http://www.m-freisinger.de/

cuz we dont speak german biggrin.gif

didnt you buy a 914/6 oil tank off the classifieds recently?
any plans to reproduce/enhance them?
Type 4
Just send Manfred an email they will respond in english.
Idid just buy one.
I didnt want to wait for one to be shipped.
Brad Roberts
Even with the exchange rate screwed up ?

Steve.. please go easy on throwing out prices.. it sucks for those of us expecting to make 20$ after a 3 hour conversation with someone "wanting" to buy something.

B
Brett W
Stef's makes the best tanks in the industry and they do a custom tank. If you are going to do a custom tank I would set it up to run in the passenger side fender well. This would put 70lbs on the opposite side of the driver for better weight distribution.
Brad Roberts
The question is:

Will Stef's do a small production run of tanks ? They are the shiznit as far as I'm concerned, but just asking them.. feels wrong.

B
Brad Roberts
to run in the passenger side fender well

I forget who did this, but they made a tank to fit inside the engine compartment where the battery went.. fit well. Held more oil...

B
Brett W
Mark Stephens did a tank that work over in place of the battery tray. I don't know how good it was. Saw one on Ebay awhile back.

Stef's doesn't have a problem foing the one off stuff. In fact there is a possiblity that they have done a 914-6 or 911 style fender tank in the past. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow and see. If I can get a couple of minutes.
Brad Roberts
There is a local guy who runs the MS tank. He has ran it fine for 10+ years on his 2.7 engine. See what Stefs will do. I'm interested.

B

Brad Roberts
laugh.gif Wait.. is that not a "Conflict of Interest for you ?? laugh.gif

B
Brett W
Huh? huh.gif
brant
bump...

I really wanted a passenger side tank, but didn't like the old one I've seen previously..

would love to hear what might become of this idea

sixnotfour
I think for production cars, Porsche puts the tank as close to the pump as possible so they dont have a long feed hose or suction hose. AN-16 that long no problem but should have the spiral liner to prevent collapse for that long of a hose.

On the other hand I think the MS tank uses -12 No problem confused24.gif

Any other thoughts idea.gif

davep
Hey Brad, were you not looking into a CF tank a year or so ago?
I don't recall the outcome.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ May 2 2005, 09:56 PM)
There is a local guy who runs the MS tank. He has ran it fine for 10+ years on his 2.7 engine.

Isn't that a 73.5 2.4 "T" CIS motor?

I do recall that several people pissed all over the notion of using the Stephens tanks the last few times they were brought up. And the one in the above car (the 73.5 T-motor'ed car) was a prototype, not one of the production parts. It is possible that the main production run had some problems.

...Or that the people who had commented earlier had other reasons to mistrust MSHP...

--DD
lapuwali
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ May 2 2005, 03:30 PM)
I've seen a 911 tank used in a 914-6 conversion in the stock location. Sorta. The car had flares, which was the only reason the tank (mostly) fit. But it was a real hack-job, at least in that case. (Lapuwali should remember that car... wink.gif He probably still regrets selling it!)

BigD9146GT (or whatever his board-name was) also posted in the "club member products" forum on this site. IIRC, he posted the same photos here that he did on the Bird board.

--DD

I think you're confusing me with someone else, Dave. The 6 conversion I had used a 914/6 tank, and didn't have flares. The tank had been repaired at least once by brazing, and the conversion wasn't pretty, but it wasn't THAT bad.

I don't regret selling it so much as I regret what's happened to it. Lots of nice parts rotting away there. If it was garaged and driven regularly, I'd not regret it at all. Someone needs to bitch-slap that guy...

Dave_Darling
Sorry about that, lapuwali! Must be early-onset Alzheimers...

--DD
lapuwali
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ May 3 2005, 12:17 PM)
Sorry about that, lapuwali! Must be early-onset Alzheimers...

--DD

No worries. I DID have the 73.5 CIS engine in mine, though. Maybe that's the confusion. Have you mentally flipped two cars?
pete-stevers
Damn it....thought some one would chime in...."I got one for you Steve".... Anyone got one????
I will get my hands on one tank...by george...and copy the effin thing happy11.gif ....ultimately I need a tank before Aug..... huh.gif so I can drive with the six in before my Bday driving.gif
steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.