Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I am trying to get my CV's off to change the boots but they are very tight on the spline. I have one driven 1/3 off with a brass drift but don't want to hit it too hard because it is putting sideloading on the other CV in the wheel with every hit.
I am heading off the work to get a puller, but I know that will put side loading (although no impacting) on the inner CV.
Any hits tricks or help?

Tx
scotty914
you should not need to drive it off, it should pull off. get some one to hold the axle to the wheel side and wiggle and push the inner to the tranny. i just did this at spare time toys house ( thanks again larry and jame for the the garage and axle ). make sure you get the clip off, jst wipe it down to get most of the grease out of the clip area.

the worse part is getting the boot over the bumps on the axle when it is still on the car
tracks914
Snap rings are off...boots move up the shaft pretty easy.
Snap rings were not the type with little holes in them they are the type you have to remove with screwdrivers. They won't be going back on. headbang.gif
Maybe the spline got damaged with the wrong type of clip???
Allan
Those are actually the right kind of clips. You remove them with a type of expansion pliers. I agree with Scott, they should slide off without a ton of effort.
tracks914
I ended up getting a three legged puller and pulled it off with that. It looks like it never has been off in 33 years.
The CV looks pretty good though with only some minor wear marks and slightly polished grooves where the balls continually run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.