Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Filter Confusion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
Hey guys...

I'm going to be doing a major road trip from Des Moines Iowa to Dallas Texas in the next week or two and want to have a couple spare fuel filters on hand while I blow the cobwebs out of the engine/Gas Tank.

My Car is a '73 1.7. I've looked up the part number for the Fuel filter on Pelican Parts, but the picture of the one that supposedly matches my year model doesn't match what is actually currently installed.

The one on PP is a BLACK filter with a fairly thick ridge around its middle, while the one actually installed looks more like the one that PP says is for 75-76 models. (WHITE with a thinner ridge).

Do I have the wrong one installed? Does it really matter? Is there much difference? Is it as simple as black and white?

Thanks in advance!!!

Doug

PS - Are the filters available through Standard Auto Parts Stores????
Porsche Rescue
The major difference between early (pre-75) and late filters is the size of the hose connections. The late style (mounts up front near the tank) accepts different sized hoses (7 mm one end, 9 mm on the other, I think). The early filter, which you want, is the same size on both ends, 7mm, if I recall. you can use a generic small in-line filter but OE is best.
Bleyseng
You are right Jim, and this is because the 75-76 use a inline fuel pump vs the early style fuel pump which has several hose connection.
Usually, the problem is getting the late style filter. They always seem to send the early style one......."Oh, that one fits All years according to the book".

Geoff
JWest
Don't trust the web pictures that go with the parts on Pelican - they are often wrong.
Dave_Darling
...Or at least, only offer one example where there are several possibilities.

I believe that there are three fuel filters used on 914s over the years. There is one with 7mm inlet and outlet ("little-little") that was used in conjunction with a "converter hose" that had 7mm ID on one end and 9mm ID on the other. The converter hose adapted from the center tunnel supply line to the fuel filter inlet.

There was one with a 9mm inlet and a 7mm outlet ("big-little"), and it was used in conjunction with a regular piece of 9mm ID fuel hose going from the center tunnel supply line to the filter.

The 75-76 had a 7mm inlet and a larger outlet. The late pump had a very large inlet... Yeah, here we go! From Pete Klager's hose diagram:
IPB Image

--DD
Porsche Rescue
Dave's got that right. I bought a "coverter hose" which is about 4" long, 9mm to 7mm, from Porsche to use on a '70 1.7 I once owned. Cost was $24. Never installed it. PO had simply used 9mm hose and clamped it (poorly) over 7mm filter inlet. Wish I had known I could have bought a "coverter" filter instead. Probably cost less than $24!
dagdal1967
AARRGGHHH!!!..

Ok.. I've climbed under the car and managed to discern that the filter that is in there now is a "big-little" filter..

9MM in and 7MM out.

What part number do I need to use to order one of these? I'm completely lost as the PP web site doesn't include a description with the in/out apeture measurements.

How frustrating! headbang.gif

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.