Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT! Saw "Hitchikers Guide" yesterday!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cap'n Krusty
If you haven't yet seen it, I recommend you do! Pay special attention to the character of the President of the Universe! Look/sound familiar? Comments are welcome................... ............................. The Cap'n, who sometimes has a life!
Hawktel
Hello Ground!
CptTripps
Yeah, I dug it...Good, fun Movie.

I loved the books and video games (On my PC-jr) They did a real nice job.

Sam Rockwell, Alan Rickman and Mos Def NAILED their parts.
SirAndy
i was diss-a-pointed ... dry.gif

i guess i'm too much of a fan of the books and the original BBC series ...
way too much stuff left out on the cutting table (or was never shot), more than a complete book missing, half-warm characters/acting (at least in the BBC series, that was *on purpose* and therefore hilarious!) ...

only thing that made me chuckle was when they had the original Marvin robot stand in line with them when they were trying to get the release papers for Trillian ...

no one else in the theater got that one, *sigh* ...
sad.gif Andy
JoeSharp
I can't belive I forgot my towel. I thought it was great.
biggrin.gif Joe
Rouser
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 2 2005, 09:42 PM)
i was diss-a-pointed ...

Yeah, me too, being a Douglas Adams fan and all.

The SFX were good, and I cracked with Mos Deff's "We're gonna die ... No, wait! What does this do? ... no ... nothing ... nah, we're gonna die ..." biggrin.gif
ws91420
Cant wait to see it. Read the books. Saw the BBC show. Even had a game on the Apple IIe. Well Ive got to get my babelfish and a couple of pints and peanuts. Above all DON'T PANIC
carreraguy
Saw it yesterday - son loved it! I thought it was okay but would not see again. The Brit humor was a little too slow for me. Guess that's whay I never watched the TV version on PBS The President was a dead ringer for Owen Wilson!
Foxman
The wife and I saw it on Friday. I loved it even though I have never read the book. It was witty and humorous while catering to the sci-fi and the what is life all about cravings we all have. I have to say there were some really inventive ways of looking how our universe works and Sam Rockwall was really good as the President.
nebreitling
my favorite list of oxymorons includes both

front-wheel drive sports car

and

british humor

confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 2 2005, 08:38 PM)
my favorite list of oxymorons includes
british humor

you have no idea what you're missing out on ... rolleyes.gif

now about that lady-room-mate of yours ...
idea.gif Andy
ConeDodger
I really don't think they left out anything as far as whole books are concerned. In the final scene when Arthur Dent was asked by Slartibartfast if there was anything he would leave out in the reconstruction of earth and he says "yes, me" and then they all decide to go off to the Restaurant at the End of The Universe. They didn't leave books out they simply set up sequels.

I was generally very pleased because they were so true to his dialogue.

Douglas Adams was such an intelligent man. I actually think his Dirk Gently books are better written. He has just enough actual real science to keep geeks like me interested and the way he turns a phrase is very funny. I was so sad when he died.

Picking out the original Marvin was a good catch but did you notice that Douglas himself appeared?

Rob
jet1
Don't give too much away! I want to go see it soon. biggrin.gif
dan10101
"Take asprin"

I could never get past the hallway in the spaceship.

http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html

dan10101
Sorry... "buffered analgesic "

I could never get very far...

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 2 2005, 11:38 PM)
my favorite list of oxymorons includes both

front-wheel drive sports car

and

british humor

confused24.gif

I fart in your general direction, I unplug my nose at you....
balljoint
I have been looking forward/dreading this movie for a long time. If you have read "The Salmon of Doubt", then you know Adams had some serious reservations about how the movie was going to get handled. I have enjoyed all of his books, Dirk Gently included. I even have the original radio series complete on cd, whiich is, in fact, how I first got hooked on Adams.

I hope that I like the movie. But if I don't, I know that somewhere in the universe I will find this final message from the author in 40 foot high flaming letters... "Sorry for the inconvenience."

Since Adams had not written much in the last decade or so, and seemingly even less, now that he is dead. sad.gif I have found that Terry Pratchett has an equally amusing voice and have taken to his Discworld series. Anyone read any of those books?
FriarJohn
On Aint-it-cool-news.com they commented that Adams intended each of the incarnations (TV, Movie, etc) to be parallel universes based on the materials from the books.

It seems a lot of the hardcore fans (::cough::justliketrekkies:smile.gif lost their sense of humor somewhere and started treating the books as "canon."

Was the movie perfect? No. But it was pretty darn good.
davep
I'll have to see the movie. Just rereading the books again for the hundredth time. The number of sub-plots is incredible. If the movie is half as good as the books it will be worth it. Have you read the 'Salmon of Doubt'? The Dirk Gently books are great as well.
SharonG
I really enjoyed it, although was disappointed that quite a bit of the detail from the book was left out in the whole "Answer to THE Question" part. 42!

Was happy a lot of the movie was right on with the book.

Loved Sam Rockwell and Mos Def.
Gint
QUOTE (SharonG @ May 3 2005, 08:37 AM)
I really enjoyed it, although was disappointed that quite a bit of the detail from the book was left out in the whole "Answer to THE Question" part. 42!

wub.gif Shouldn't you be working so you can buy me some more parts for my resto?
Cap'n Krusty
Has NO ONE ELSE noticed the film Zaphod is a broadly drawn caracature of our very own Dubbya? The Cap'n
Joe Bob
Was he as stoopid as Jar Jar Binks?
Howard
QUOTE (dan10101 @ May 2 2005, 11:27 PM)
Sorry... "buffered analgesic "

I could never get very far...

Ha! I knew you were a wacko. I still have the the original Infocom game on CD. Fabulous! Think I'll do it again. Loved the whale. Was that in the movie? Was Upper Sandusky?
Part Pricer

Yes. The whale was in the movie.

"I think I'll call it wind..."
Hawktel
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 3 2005, 08:35 AM)
Has NO ONE ELSE noticed the film Zaphod is a broadly drawn caracature of our very own Dubbya? The Cap'n

Zaphod was more based on the original charecter in the book. I'd say it was like a combination of Dubya and Clinton if your looking for presidential simularities.
TMorr
QUOTE (balljoint @ May 3 2005, 06:12 AM)
I have been looking forward/dreading this movie for a long time.  If you have read "The Salmon of Doubt", then you know Adams had some serious reservations about how the movie was going to get handled.  I have enjoyed all of his books, Dirk Gently included.  I even have the original radio series complete on cd, whiich is, in fact, how I first got hooked on Adams.  

I hope that I like the movie.  But if I don't, I know that somewhere in the universe I will find this final message from the author in 40 foot high flaming letters...  "Sorry for the inconvenience."

Since Adams had not written much in the last decade or so, and seemingly even less, now that he is dead.  :(   I have found that Terry Pratchett has an equally amusing voice and have taken to his Discworld series.  Anyone read any of those books?

I am really looking forward to seeing the movie. I think you should introduce the board to the Terry Pratchett Discworld series if no-one has read them, the idea of a world floating around space on the back of a turtle a novel idea ..............

Tracey
SirAndy
QUOTE (TMorr @ May 3 2005, 08:55 AM)
I have found that Terry Pratchett has an equally amusing voice and have taken to his Discworld series.  Anyone read any of those books?

I think you should introduce the board to the Terry Pratchett Discworld series if no-one has read them, the idea of a world floating around space on the back of a turtle a novel idea ...

it certainly is! one of my other all time favorites ...

boldblue.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (TMorr @ May 3 2005, 08:55 AM)

I am really looking forward to seeing the movie. I think you should introduce the board to the Terry Pratchett Discworld series if no-one has read them, the idea of a world floating around space on the back of a turtle a novel idea ..............

Tracey

A "novel" idea, but drawn from mythology, as I recall ....... The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 2 2005, 05:42 PM)
only thing that made me chuckle was when they had the original Marvin robot stand in line with them when they were trying to get the release papers for Trillian ...  My friends pretty much all got it straight away.

no one else in the theater got that one, *sigh* ...

Then you should have seen it with me and my group of friends on Friday night. I felt left out, because it took me until after the movie to figure out the reason why that one robot looked so familiar. Almost everyone else got it right away.

Did you see the cameo by the actor who played Arthur Dent in the TV series? How about the Adams cameo?

I dug the film. Not something I'll be watching over and over again, but it was good fun and didn't mishandle the material too badly. It was about as good as I could have expected out of Hollywood, frankly.

I was disappointed that Ford and Zaphod, in particular, did not have British accents. Somehow, to me, all aliens are supposed to have British accents.

--DD
iamchappy
Be sure to stay around till the end of the credits, they add a short animation on the underestimation of the size of the of things in the universe and end up being a ball toy for a dog.
TMorr
Dave

Yeah I'm an alien biggrin.gif aktion035.gif
Tracey
Mueller
This is another one of those movies that I have to go see by myself...I have no friends and the wife thinks it looks "silly"... wacko.gif

jwalters
I saw it--thought it was good time spender--nothing else

On the other hand--In New York city, star wars III had an advance premiere---seems as if George ( the OTHER George ) finally got his shit together and reproduced the quality of episode V in episode III

Heard much fanfare that THIS IS THE SHIT!!! Primarily from a co-workers 30 something brother that saw the first one when he was 11 and has followed ever since, the rest from the net..

Now I am really excited to finish what I started seeing in the 70's... biggrin.gif
SharonG
QUOTE (Gint @ May 3 2005, 07:14 AM)
QUOTE (SharonG @ May 3 2005, 08:37 AM)
I really enjoyed it, although was disappointed that quite a bit of the detail from the book was left out in the whole "Answer to THE Question" part.  42!

wub.gif Shouldn't you be working so you can buy me some more parts for my resto?

Slavedriver! biggrin.gif

I almost forgot the catchy "so long and thanks for all the fiiiiish!!!"
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (TMorr @ May 3 2005, 01:02 PM)
Yeah I'm an alien biggrin.gif aktion035.gif
Tracey

Don't think I hadn't noticed that.... idea.gif

Years of watching HHGG and Dr. Who will train you to notice aliens!!

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.