Full Version: Bumblebee barn find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Bgyglfr
I just dug this out today.Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Schweet! Is the VIN listed on this site? We really, really, really need more pics. Hope you didn't have the wrestle the bear that tracked up the front hood.
robby750
Nice! Tell us more!
Bgyglfr
The vin is not on the registry. It's been sitting for 17 years. We pulled it out just in time.

Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
I stumbled across the car because I was buying racking for my shop. When I was asked what I was using the racking for, I replied to store porsche parts. "Oh, my dad has an old porsche." The seller is a really nice guy and I feel privelaged to take over the responsibility of getting this car on the road.
Wayne
Wish mine was that clean when I found it. So what's your plans for it ? Selling , Keeping ?
Bgyglfr
As of right now, I'm going to keep it. I am going to do a mechanical restoration and keep as much of it as original as possible. Just clean and buff the paint. I do need to source the front spoiler. There are some remnants of the original one still on the brackets underneath so I'm guessing it was broken on a parking block or something.
Wayne
Very cool score. You should be able to source the OE spoiler for it. Post on WTB and someone will take care of you. I finally found one for mine but it took awhile.
Post some pics after you get it cleaned up. Again nice score aktion035.gif
pete000
Nice rescue !!!!!!
iwanta914-6
Now that is an amazing find! Congrats, everyone now hates you, lol...
Bgyglfr
Lol. I hope not too much. I hope to lean on you guys for some advice as I get going on it.

I did stop at the car wash on the way home. It looks good in the pics but there's a film that will need a lot of elbow grease to clean up.
Click to view attachment
MikeM
Congrats on the Bee...looks familiar!!Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Amazing time capsule find. Congratulations - these still exist.

Those look the original Sunflower Yellow side stripes - impossible to find any more.

Please email or PM me and I would be happy to add this car to the 914 LE Registry with a few details.

Very glad to see it was stored with the windows rolled up and I hope the barn was a dry environment.

You have a lot of work ahead to bring her back to roadworthiness but it will be worth it.
Racer
wow.. nice find. Looks like the cats are done walking over that dusty thing. Hope it turns out well for you.
ConeDodger
LE spoiler is there on one side but not on the other? Nice find! piratenanner.gif
Bgyglfr
The spoiler that is on it is a stock 914 spoiler.
Unobtanium-inc
Passes the test for a true barn find, animal paw prints in the dust!

Congrats on a cool find, save as much patina as you can, they are only original once.
bdstone914
Never seen an antenna mounted on the cowl panel like that. But they were dealer installed so them seemed to do what they wanted.
Nice find.
SKL1
Nice find! As Tom Cotter always says, they are still out there!!
Bgyglfr
Thanks for all the comments. I got it back to the shop yesterday and took a couple more pics. The previous owner of the car has had it since 1976. I don't think I have ever had a title that was printed on with a typewriter. Lol

Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Click to view attachment
Front yard mechanic
Wow! first.gif
Cairo94507
Very nice find. Cheers. beerchug.gif
jmitro
that is awesome. Nice find!
Bgyglfr
Snuck out to the shop for a bit this morning. Looks like it will clean up nicely.

Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Click to view attachment
BigFour1973
Nice find! Wish you luck on a speedy restoration.

What's going on with the rear suspension? Passenger side and driver aren't even.
pete000
This one will clean up nicely!
iwanta914-6
I'm afraid to even ask what you paid for it. lol
Bgyglfr
I will answer that question thisway. I see too often dealers/flippers taking advantage of someone because they don't know what they have or what it's worth and that drives me nuts. I did the research and told the previous owner what they are trading for and offfered a fair price based on the work involved in getting it roadworthy. I bought it at a good value but a value that lets me sleep at night knowing that I didn't steal it.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Feb 17 2017, 05:42 PM) *

The spoiler that is on it is a stock 914 spoiler.

Looks like a front LE spoiler in pictures, maybe a repro but definitely not a stock one.
bdstone914
Can you post pictures of the sail panel trim , verify if it is anodized black, and is the voltage regulator cover black? It is on our Bumblebee.
Thanks.
Bgyglfr
Mike,
Think you are right. It does appear to be a LE replacement spoiler. That does help. I can just paint this one to match for now.

Bdstone914,
The sail trim is indeed black. I can check the regulator cover when I get a chance.
JeffBowlsby
If you will email me or post photos of the following, I would be glad to put this car on the 914 LE Registry:

VIN
Both labels from the driver door jamb
Engine SN
COA when you get it.
Niklas
With Swedish tires "GISLAVED" !!

Niklas
Bgyglfr
I have a receipt for those tires. They were installed in 1986. smile.gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Feb 18 2017, 06:15 PM) *

I will answer that question thisway. I see too often dealers/flippers taking advantage of someone because they don't know what they have or what it's worth and that drives me nuts. I did the research and told the previous owner what they are trading for and offfered a fair price based on the work involved in getting it roadworthy. I bought it at a good value but a value that lets me sleep at night knowing that I didn't steal it.

That is the best answer you could possibly give. Well done!

There's a post on a facebook group page of a possible 914/6 that "an old man want's to get out of his yard" for $2500. It would be a shame if it is a legit six and the "old man" only gets $2500 for it only to see someone flip it for 15 times that.
IronHillRestorations
Nice find!
whitetwinturbo
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Feb 18 2017, 05:15 PM) *

agree.gif

Perfect response, you are going to fit in well around here!
Chris H.
Yes I like this guy already.

Great find, and Brad Mayeur is in Peoria at 914 Limited if you need anything. Looks like a potential survivor car. Enjoy it.

Don't try to start it until you change the fuel lines! The tank probably has some bad gas in it anyway. There is a great stainless setup available from Tangerine Racing.
turbonet
Words cannot describe how jealous I am right now!!!
MikeM
Turbonet...there's a few around still in Canada.
I bought this one last Sept. from a guy in Prince George.
Keep looking, they are out there!!!
MikeClick to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Thanks for all of the responses. In all of the early 911s I've come across as well as a couple 356s, this is the most rare and complete car I've been lucky enough to buy. I find myself more excited about it than most of the cars I've owned.

I've been out of town all week so I haven't had time to even get to my shop. The first order of business will definitely be replacing all of the fuel and brake lines as well as rebuilding the brakes etc. I'm sure the injection will need gone through as well. I will update as I make progress.

I'm not going to repaint or change anything on the car other than what's necessary to make it a dependable driver. I like the idea of driving it as I found it. Dents, scratches, and all.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Feb 18 2017, 04:15 PM) *

I will answer that question thisway. I see too often dealers/flippers taking advantage of someone because they don't know what they have or what it's worth and that drives me nuts.

That's BS, people know what they have it's a frick'n Porsche 914 are you saying they don't have access to the internet? The local Library has internet access for free, my guess is you stole it and don't want to admit it. Let me guess you were an Altar Boy and Eagle Scout growing up. Lol!
Bgyglfr
Mike, I take it your a flipper? Otherwise you wouldn't take such offense at my statement. No, I was never an alter boy but I was in the Cub Scouts. Lol

It's not BS and I take offense at your accusation. I could have originally bought the car for $3k but after I did the research, I shared it with the previous owner. Then I made him another offer based on that information. It was SIGNIFICANTLY more. If you really need to know what I paid to make judgement on me then I don't need to know you.

And yes, People get screwed all the time. I've been into cars since all I could afford were matchbox cars. I don't screw people. A little karma goes a long way.
914Next
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 24 2017, 08:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Feb 18 2017, 04:15 PM) *

I will answer that question thisway. I see too often dealers/flippers taking advantage of someone because they don't know what they have or what it's worth and that drives me nuts.

That's BS, people know what they have it's a frick'n Porsche 914 are you saying they don't have access to the internet? The local Library has internet access for free, my guess is you stole it and don't want to admit it. Let me guess you were an Altar Boy and Eagle Scout growing up. Lol!

WTF.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.