Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel gauge sender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
My fuel sender is not registering anything below 1/4 tank.
As you might expect, in an ohm test I'm not getting w=0, G=70-100 (empty) or w=infinite, G=1-10 (full).
The thing that's odd....the wire is intact it's entire length, all contacts and the wire (and ground wire) were cleaned until cotton swabs were no longer returning dirt, points of contact the floater to the wires is good yet a continuity test towards the bottom of the sender wire/s shows fading continuity until none.
Is it possible for the copper wire to simply lose it's capacity to conduct over 44 years (as I believe the sender to be the original)?
Is it possible the internals of the flaoter are corrupt (hmmm...must do a continuity test those contact point tomorrow).
Yes, I'm aware I can go out a buy a new one. I'd rather learn how to fix a broken one. Why? Because I want to.
Soooo, anyone wanna chime in their experience?
Thanx
Tbrown4x4
Does the low fuel light ever come on? Could the float be sticking?

Mine would hang up on 3/4 tank until I hit a bump and it would go up or down from there and be fine after that. When I had it apart, I found a lot of corrosion on the main rod where the float rides. Cleaned and polished the rod, and it's fine now.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Feb 18 2017, 07:45 AM) *

Mine would hang up on 3/4 tank until I hit a bump and it would go up or down from there and be fine after that. When I had it apart, I found a lot of corrosion on the main rod where the float rides. Cleaned and polished the rod, and it's fine now.

Someone posted a thread on how to fix them. Had to source a special silver alloy wire for the inside. Not a repair I would attempt. I have many good used ones for $75. You could get a used one and gasket ,swap it out and then try to repair the old one.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Feb 18 2017, 08:45 AM) *

I have it out and out of the tube. It's clean as a whistle and definitely not sticking
HalfMoon
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 18 2017, 10:24 AM) *

Someone posted a thread on how to fix them. Had to source a special silver alloy wire for the inside. Not a repair I would attempt. I have many good used ones for $75. You could get a used one and gasket ,swap it out and then try to repair the old one.

Car's off the road and has been for quite some time so no worries there. Just wondering what direction to take as the shotgun theory usually doesn't yield results. Still wondering at what the problem could be. Can the wire lose it's conductivity? It's the only explanation I can come up with as the wire is intact, and the system (and contacts) is/are clean...
I'm stumped.
bdstone914
I do not see how an intact wire could loose conductivity. Maybe varnished up and not making contact on the bottom section?
HalfMoon
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 18 2017, 12:18 PM) *

I do not see how an intact wire could loose conductivity. Maybe varnished up and not making contact on the bottom section?

I know, right?
It's got me stumped too. I cleaned up the wire big time as well. I must be missing something?
HalfMoon
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 18 2017, 11:24 AM) *

Believe I'll take you up on that offer. General cleaning without completely dismantling hasn't yielded a result, so the next thing to do is a total disassembly and I reckon it's likely I'll damage it beyond repair....so best to have another on hand.
PM sent :-)
David
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.