Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine won't rotate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
Trying to start, the engine cranking fine" then it just stops. Try spinning by hand still no go. Figuring maybe a push rod, they are fine. With no rockers on, engine still will not budge. We also put the car in gear and tried to push it, still engine won't rotate.

Larmo63
It has deeper issues I suspect......
jsaum
When was the last time the engine ran? Was it sitting for an extended time?
ruddyboys
Haven't had it started, but it cranked just fine, then while cranking it just stopped
falcor75
Pull the gearbox off and try again, check that the flywheel isnt jammed against some foreign object in the bellhousing. Pull the flywheel and try cranking it. If not it probably needs to come apart.
Bob L.
Have you tried turning it backwards? Maybe something wedged in the impeller fan/housing.
ruddyboys
Doesn't rotate backward. Tried putting in reverse and pushing, doesn't roll.
Dave_Darling
Inspect the fan. If there's nothing obviously wrong, either pull the fan off or remove the trans. If the engine still won't rotate, try the other of those two. If no go, pull the motor.

--DD
porschetub
Any sign of oil in the valve covers when you pulled them off ? put some WD 40 or similar down the plug holes ,leave to soak and then try again with the plugs out.
Has the motor been out in the weather in the car or uncovered on its own,when did it last run as already asked,no one can help on here if we don't have the facts.
Bartlett 914
I had a similar issue once. The engine was fine but had been sitting for a year. Problem was carbon in the heads had come loose and was hitting the piston.
ruddyboys
Pulled the spark plugs and engine totes freely? Why would this happen
Mark Henry
Did any water/oil/gas come out of the plughole? Hydrolocked.
ruddyboys
No water oil or gas?
injunmort
i see your in monroe. i am in chester. pm me i would be happy to swing by and give it a look.
type2man
Perhaps a leaking fuel injector or if its carbureted, the floats could be getting stuck
IronHillRestorations
Don't hammer on the thing by trying to bump start. Pull all 4 spark plugs and then see if it will turn over. Next step would be to find a inspection camera and look in the spark plug holes.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Feb 19 2017, 01:20 PM) *

Pulled the spark plugs and engine totes freely? Why would this happen

Are you saying that it turns over freely without the plugs?

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Feb 19 2017, 10:55 PM) *

Don't hammer on the thing by trying to bump start. Pull all 4 spark plugs and then see if it will turn over. Next step would be to find a inspection camera and look in the spark plug holes.

agree.gif good way to bend a rod.

injunmort
check your pm inbox
zambezi
I had a similar situation as well. Turned out to be the starter bendix was hanging up and jamming the flywheel. It happened to me twice and I thought the motor was locking up but when I started to pull the starter I heard a pop as the bendix pulled itself back free from the flywheel. I ended up replacing the starter with a gear reduction and have not had a problem since.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.