Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for harness belts...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
originally i wanted to get some camlock harnesses for both sides. Doesnt really matter if they are used since i will only do autox and the occational DE event. I get one evilbay looking for options and there are TONS of different kinds from simpson full race harness's to "jdm" chinsy little "five point belts" w/ a standard looking seat belt lock in the center. The G-Force camlocks are catching my eye but are the $50 cheesy belts worth it for the price, or should i just spend the money on the good stuff? Oh, and i guess i need a harness bar too right? I have seats w/the harness holes in the top, does that mean i still need the harness bar or can i leave that out? im thinking i need everything..gonna be 'spensive!
anthony
and the occational DE event.

Here's something to consider. Belts have a manufacture date on them. My PCA region doesn't let you do DE with belts that are more than 5 years old. So if you buy belts on ebay that are from 1999 they might not be any good (even if they were brand new and never used). Best to check with who you want to do DE with regarding their belt regulations. For AX they don't check dates on belts.

Andyrew
You need the harness bar. Mainly to keep the strain from a crash or deep braking off your shoulders and onto your chest (to prevent your spine from colapsing or something... lol)

If your running it on the street, the "cheesy" looking belts might be the way to go...

I need lots of protection so I run with the big gun simpsons...

I'd say smack down the 300 bucks and get some new G-force belts. (camlock even) in the color you want (black... DUH!!)

Keeps you from saying "I should have bought them new" in a year (like im saying now...)

Andrew
xsboost90
im the tech insp. for PCA and we dont check dates on belts for DE events. I'll prob try to pick up some year or two old nice belts to keep the cost down.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 2 2005, 07:27 PM)
I'll prob try to pick up some year or two old nice belts to keep the cost down.

I've got a pair of Deist 5 point belts you can have for $50 plus shipping. IIRC they are about 10 years old. No rips, cuts or frays. Black. Lever latch. 3" lap and shoulder. 2" submarine.
nebreitling
dude, c'mon. please get real seat belts. used is okay if you know their condition and the seller is trustworthy and they are still in SFI date range.... but don't skimp out TOO much here..... latch/link are CHEAP these days online.
ArtechnikA
FWIW - i have some G-Force camlocks and they are quality parts.
xitspd
I have 10 sets of Bell 5 pt Cam locks with current dates. They are a very nice quality set up. I use them in my cars. Email me at xitspd@aol.com and I will make you a great price on a set or two.

Dan
xsboost90
pm sent!

i will not buy those latch type belts- cheap as they are- i rode in a friends car w/ the latch type and didnt get it latched till we got to the gas station, then it was hard to get apart. Camlocks all the way!
Jeroen
only use the camlock belts in a 5 or 6 point configuration
don't use them as 4 point belts....

if you want 4point belts, use "cheap" belts (the ones with the standard looking push-button-lock)

why? the "cheapies" will keep the lapbelts on your lap and the buckle over your crotch
the camlocks won't...
MoveQik
Can one of you please post a link to an example of a belt that will work with a harness bar and will be ok for auto X and track days?

My passenger side belt went south on me so I thought now would be a good time to update to something much more safe.

Thanks!
VegasRacer
Most any SFI certified belt will work with a harness bar. They all come with instruction on the proper way to loop the shoulder straps around the bar. DO NOT get the ones with the Y for a single attachemnt point. ONLY get the style with individual shoulder straps.

The other option to consider is if you want the lap belts to be bolt in or clip in. Either one is fine. It just depends on how you want to set it up in your car. If you get the clip in style, be sure to pin the clips.

The cam locks are not better than the lever latch. It is just a matter of personal preference. I have had both types in my race cars. I like the lever latch better. It is a bonus that they are less expensive, but that does not factor into my choice.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (MW 914 @ May 3 2005, 10:59 AM)
Can one of you please post a link to an example of a belt that will work with a harness bar and will be ok for auto X and track days?

"OK" is going to depend almost exclusively on what your local region demands in the way of safety regulations.

properly, the "harness bar" is a harness GUIDE bar; the harnesses should still be anchored to the firewall and brought up over the GUIDE bar to correct the angle. the GUIDE bars are not designed for the shear stress of anchoring belts.

PROBABLY no one will call you on this at an autocross, but i wouldn't count on it (or belts anchored only to a GUIDE bar) in a high speed DE environment
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ May 3 2005, 12:19 PM)
The cam locks are not better than the lever latch.

i agree completely.

but the camlocks can be a lot more convenient, especially if you do not have a crew of some sort, because you can leave the belts - especially the lap belt - "pretty" tight. because you can clip the individual belt ends into the camlock one at a time, you don't have quite as much of a juggling act trying to keep 5 individual belt latch loops all in the same place until you can flip the latch.
obaa996
I have a set of TeamTech 5pt. on mine; they're nice, in that they have a nice pad beneath the cam lock
to protect the, um, sensitive bits. The newer versions (mine are about 2 yrs. old) also have additional
sternum padding, and don't require harness pads. Also, when the belts go out of date, they will reweb them for (I think) 45% of the cost of new. Plus, they will make up harness sets with any combo of colors (for belts, pulls, pads, etc.) you want. Someone from a different club has a pair (2 sets) for sale; I can forward the url if you are interested.
xitspd
SFI certification is very important! Bell 5 PT Cam Locks are....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.