Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air filter adapter for '73 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BillC
I have a '73 1.7 liter 914 that has been running a stock air filter element for far longer than I've owned the car. I've been looking for a while to find a replacement air filter that would just drop in, but nobody seems to make them any more (I've searched on this board, and the questions go back a looong time).

However, it turns out that a NAPA Gold 2011 will work, if you make an adapter. Since I finally had a little spare time this weekend, it was time to make one. It's fairly simple: A piece of 16ga aluminum, with an inner hole to match the stock filter and an outer diameter to match the new filter. Around the outside perimeter, I added 4 small tabs, bent up to keep the new filter in place. I also put a ring of 1/16" thick weather stripping around the underside of inside perimeter, to seal the adapter against the bottom of the air filter housing. Here are a few pics:

Here are the air filters, new on the left and original on the right.
Click to view attachment

Here's the adapter next to new filter.
Click to view attachment

Here's the new filter and adapter installed in the air filter housing.
Click to view attachment

With the adapter, the new filter fits in very nicely into the air filter housing. Now I'll be able to keep my car in clean, new air filters for a long time.
913B
Thats pretty cool. I will have to remember that next time I find a piece of aluminmum.
Great Job !
first.gif
boxsterfan
Super cool!! Way cheaper than ripping the motor out and stuffing in a /6!! smile.gif
doug_b_928
Nicely done.
stinkindiesel
The adapter is a nice solution.

I'm running a Wix 42110 with an internal dimension of 127mm, 76mm tall. This is very close to the OEM filter, though the OEM has a larger outer dimension. I had thought at first I might need to cut a gasket to make the Wix a little taller in order to seal well, but found I didn't need it.

I think the NAPA 2110 is the same.

Gary
JawjaPorsche
Awesome! Made one yesterday from some aluminum flashing I still had left when I build my house. Thank you so much for the tip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.