Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st time brake job - a few questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Hey guys,
This is my first time doing brakes on a car. No better time to learn than the present aye. I had a new 19mm installed, new ss brake lines installed by my mechanic.
I have newly rebuilt front calipers, inner and outer front bearings, dust cap, rear bearings, front and rear rotors, ferodo pads all to be installed. I was wondering what type/brand of wheel bearing greese to use. And also what type of greese for the calipers. Where do I put the greese on the calipers and how much? I have read a few tech articles and have the haynes book. Im also looking for rebuilt rear calipers. Most of the prices I seen where like 150.00 per. my fronts where only 47.00 any1 know where to buy inexpensive rears? Car is a 75. Are there any issues with installing bearings that I should be aware of? Any tips/suggestions to make this easier is more than welcome.

Thanks again.

Tod
tryan
i my lowly opinion, bleed the fronts with your old calipers on so you can get all the old fluid from the recent repairs out of the system. clean everything BEFORE you start working.

just do the fronts first. read the manual a few times. ( mb green snot grease is great for your wheel bearings, but be sure to get ALL the old grease out of the bearings. 60cc is what mb recomends for the fronts. no more. no less.) keep everything surgicaly clean.

take the car for a slow test drive. slow from 30 to 10 mph about 10 times but don't stop. stops will be longer untill the pads seat.

when you are confident with the fronts, do the rears. these calipers have a manual adjustment and you do not want to screw them up. ( shop around. pelican, grp ect ) .

you might have a fellow 914'er help you the first time on the rears.

you will need to bleed at the proprtioning valve if the pedal gets spongy.
tod914
ok thanks tryan. the fluid that is in there is the super blue thats about 2 months old. So i guess ill do the fronts first and see how things go.
tryan
i did the 911 all the way around when i first got her. the first few stops where quite scary. i guess i did not trust myself.

just doing two at a time is smart.
Bleyseng
The calipers/pads do not need any grease.

I like a Hightemp red wheel bearing grease or the Molybedeum lithium wheel bearing grease.
Do the fronts first then tackle the rears. I love the speedbleeders as they help get the air out nicely.
Geoff
tod914
Maybe ill stick with the more conventional greese.
If I cant find one of those power bleeders locally,
I get 1 from Pel. tomorrow. I also have a set of the speed bleeders that came with the car. just have to install them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.