Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: noisy diff or wheels or???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
My 914 makes a terrible growling sound. The sound is constant on straight driving, worse in right turns, and goes away with left turns. Is worse the faster I go. Seeing as it was direction dependant, i figured wheel bearings. replaced the fronts, they were slightly worn, but not totally shot, no improvement. Inspected rear bearings by wiggling the wheel with no load on it, and thy seemed fine.

Could the differential be source of this noise?

(ie worn spider gears maybe??)

Note the engine is a Buick V6 (even fire), i heard a rumur that these engines vibration can harm the tranny, any words of wisdom, or even speculation on this?

Brad Roberts
Dave,

you can grab the rear wheel bearings all you want.. they dont always "show" bad. I say jack it up and run it in gear listen to each side. It could be a diff bearing, but that isnt really common on these cars (even with a V6)

I say rear wheel bearing. That is the only thing that is "side-loaded" in a turn. The tranny *shouldnt* see any side-loading unless the control arm is being moved several inches toward the tranny (bad day)

B
SirAndy
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ May 2 2005, 09:49 PM)
I say rear wheel bearing. That is the only thing that is "side-loaded" in a turn.

agree.gif sounds like a rear wheel bearing on it's way out the door ...

smash.gif Andy
dmenche914
I'll give them bearings in the back another look, although i could swear I did swap trailing arms several years ago in an attempt at fixxing it, but maybe the replacement arm had a bad bearing also, it was unknown at the time of install. That is why I asked about the diff.

thanks

dave
Dave_Darling
How about CV joint wear?

Try swapping your tires around to see if that makes any difference, as well. Cheap and easy; always try the cheap and easy solutions first.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.