Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car Transport
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hot_shoe914
WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif

Okay, here is the situation.

My friend purchased a 914 race car and set up for an enclosed transport for it to be picked up and delivered. Transport shows up yesterday to pick up the car and told the seller that they could not pick it up because it was a race car! WTF.gif

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them before? Any ideas?
confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif

Shoe
jmill
I wonder if it's an insurance thing?
SirAndy
Did your friend ask the transport company why not?

I'm guessing they probably know why not ...
rolleyes.gif
bandjoey
Tell 'em it's a show car and not driven. Insurance is the only thing I can think of. If they crash, how does their insurance company set a value??
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 19 2017, 08:40 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

He will be calling the office first thing in the morning. My guess is the transport driver is a fat ass like me and couldn't fit in the cage.

I have his V8 914 sitting in my shop with the key and permission to drive it any time I want, I can't fit well enough to drive it. However, if you guys can fit, it is for sale for $22,500 and has 509hp at the crank and is street legal or track ready.

Click to view attachment

matthepcat
More pics? ^^

22k seems expensive for a SBC car, so must be super nice.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Feb 19 2017, 09:44 PM) *

More pics? ^^

22k seems expensive for a SBC car, so must be super nice.

It is extremely well built. Lingenfelter Engineering 383, 930 transaxle flipped, 930 axles also. 993 TT rotors and calipers and much more.
hot_shoe914
Click to view attachment
jcd914

Many race cars are not registered anymore and there could be legal complications to transporting an unregistered vehicle across state lines?

Jim
KELTY360
Is it registered and street legal?
matthepcat
I bet that is one loud sucker! smile.gif
Spoke
It might be because a race car doesn't necessarily have an ebrake thus no way to keep it positioned on the truck while it is tied down or while unloading.

I know that transports run away from "rollers" or non-running cars as they don't mostly don't have a way to get it on and off the truck.
mepstein
It must be the cage or just their policy. I transport cars all the time without ebrakes, engines, on carts, ect. A block of wood keeps it from moving until you strap it down.
Some companies have rules, some just want to be paid.
rgalla9146
Race cars are often built from totals, salvage, "unknown" histories and every other kind of story.
How does a trooper on the side of the road know where the car is from or where it's going ?
jd74914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 20 2017, 11:35 AM) *

Race cars are often built from totals, salvage, "unknown" histories and every other kind of story.
How does a trooper on the side of the road know where the car is from or where it's going ?

That's what I was wondering...not much trace-ability with many racecars.
76-914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 19 2017, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 19 2017, 08:40 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

He will be calling the office first thing in the morning. My guess is the transport driver is a fat ass like me and couldn't fit in the cage.

Click to view attachment

av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif Cracked me up. I like people with a sense of humor and can laugh at themselves. Looking forward to meeting you one day. beerchug.gif
matthepcat
I knew I remember seeing the V8 car somewhere. It was on youtube back in the day when i had a v8 car...needed inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeO9AC9yCso

N_Jay
When I had my car shipped from CA to IL 20 years ago, they did not want to take a non running car since they drive them on and off.
I got a flat bed tow truck with a winch to load it and had to promise the same if he could not roll it off.

He said he only made the concession because I was already scheduled to be the last on and first off.
Unobtanium-inc
Very strange, I've never had a carrier refuse to take a race car, must be a personal company policy based on a bad experience. My guess is the next carrier won't care.
boxstr
Contact Coast to Coast 1-800-794-9009 , I have never had issues with any car, race or show car etc.
Craig at CAMP
boxstr
Contact Coast to Coast 1-800-794-9009 , I have never had issues with any car, race or show car etc.
Craig at CAMP
jmitro
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 19 2017, 10:52 PM) *

they couldn't get it to fit on the trailer sideways.

DUH!! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.