Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yellow /4 in Memphis
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thatguywiththedatsun
I figured I should start a thread so that I'm not just the guy trolling the FS/WTB section.

Mine is a 1974 craigslist find with a 1.8. I got it about two years ago from a guy here in town. He'd been keeping it parked outside is place of business for several years after buying it on eBay in the early 2000's from California. He said he drove it for the last time a few years before he listed it for sale when it just died one day on the road. He had it towed to his office and there it sat.

I towed it to my place and spent about a year troubleshooting while I switched jobs. It had a 'starts and stalls' situation that turned out to be a bad ecu (go figure, sometimes they do go bad) and general tune up stuff. I drove it a few times to get a few good heat cycles and did a valve adjustment, tightened the exhaust studs since it sounded like a lawnmower, and a few other nagging things like blinkers (loose hazard switch), and changing out all of the l-jet hoses to cut back on the leaks. After that I had about a month and a half of driving before the brake pedal started going all the way to the floor here and there. I parked it last winter and collected parts.

I just got married in September, so that was my deadline to get in back on the road. It's now a fair weather driver with rebuilt calipers, new soft lines, a rebuilt valve, and new master cylinder thanks to PMB. I also put on chrome bumpers and the rear reflector, buffed out the paint, and cleaned up and adjusted a few other things while it was on the lift. I've also replaced all of the roof seals, and a few other odds and ends with bits from 914rubber. A big thanks to the members of the forum, and vendors! Though I haven't introduced myself until now, I've benefited greatly from the info on here. pray.gif

After all of that, it seems to be fairly solid. It's still a bit fluttery coming back down to idle sometimes, but not too bad. In the past two months the wife and I have taken three day trips, totaling about 700 miles, without issue. I even got the heat working on the way back from Nashville last week.

The eventual plan is an svx swap, but that's not likely to be soon. I'd like to get the 'repairs to driving' ratio a bit more balanced before taking it off the road again for any prolonged period. driving.gif

What do you guys think it's worth at this point, out of curiosity?

-Daniel from Memphis.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
ravenna green I think?

IPB Image

and the day I bought it.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
914Next
Is that Ravenna green original color I see under the rear bumper area? piratenanner.gif
IronHillRestorations
It would be hard to give a reasonable value without more detail pics; hell hole, jack points, floor pan, rear trunk floor, etc.

Any accident history?

The tail panel looks pretty clean, if the problem areas of the car looks that pristine it will help the value a lot. smile.gif
malcolm2
Looks great to me. Check eBay for closed or sold auctions. And next time you come to Nashville look me up.

Clark
Tom_T
Go the the Hagarty website below & plug in your car's info, then carefully read their definitions for condition levels, & then be brutally honest on the level of yours .... or have an impartial 3rd party there rate it for you - then look at the appropriate value curve & current value.

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools...Porsche-914-1.8

The color change will knock some value off of whatever level it is.

With our 914s, value only comes in at 3 points - when you buy, sell or have an insurance claim ... otherwise it's best to stick your head in the sand & just do what's needed &/or wanted on your own 914 build!! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

malcolm2
yours looks better than this one. with 2 hours to go and 30 bids up to $6,400 with the reserve OFF. Some people would say it needs a paint job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272556992417?ul_noapp=true

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
SOLD at $7,600 33 bids
thatguywiththedatsun
It's no show car. Definitely a daily driver that will need a good bit of bodywork in the future. The worst areas are the hell hole and the cowl area under the windshield. When I got it, the front trunk didn't latch well. Someone must haven gotten a pretty good shock when it popped up on them while driving. It looks like it happened at low speed though as the damage isn't terrible. I could even see the cowl damage in the ebay ad that I got with the car while it was in CA. I guess I'm lucky that it didn't happen again in the 12 years that PO in Memphis drove it around like that. dry.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Looks like someone just brushed on a bit of bondo? maybe some sort of sealer? icon8.gif

There are a few areas of bubbly paint too. It's had two paint jobs since the original, one blue sparkle that looks like it wasn't done very well, and the yellow on top of that. it's difficult to tell what kind of prep went in in various stages, but I'm sure I'll be in for a few surprises when it comes time to tackle the bodywork. It's laid on pretty thick currently. The driver side headlight bucket seems a bit wavy to me, but I can't really tell if it was smacked or what. It looks to have a pretty good application of some kind of undercoating too, so maybe that will save some grief in the future. sawzall-smiley.gif

IPB Image

passenger jack point
IPB Image

and the hell hole
IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks for the replies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.