Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: safety, reliability and originality
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

The more time I spend with my "new" 74, the more original I realize it is. It runs amazingly well, but...

The fuel pump is from day 1 and still in the rear location. Plastic fuel lines. Original vacuum hoses, spark plug wires, points, etc. The engine compartment is a bit dusty, but it's a time machine.

I know I should replace the fuel lines to keep from becoming a fireball, but should I also relocate the pump to the front "while I'm at it?". Which of Tangerine's SS kits is best? And is it wise to depend on a 43 year old pump...or replace / rebuild it?

I have nothing against points, but I've always run pertronix in my classics, so I'll probably put an ignitor II in the dizzy and keep the points as a backup.

I know I've made a flurry of posts in the past few days, but this car is so surprisingly different from my 73 / 2056 carbed car. Lots to learn.

Ultimately, I realize that part of owning this car will be deciding how much to keep original. For example, there's no evidence of rust on the floor pans, but do I pull up the factory tar and remove that piece of "history"?

This will be an interesting process!

Here's a link to the engine and undercarriage pics. Thanks, as always for the help and opinions.

https://pix.sfly.com/cEddbQ

Ian
Mark Henry
The plastic lines are actually nylon, if they are in good shape you don't really have to replace them. it's the old hoses and PO's using regular worm gear hose clamps that are the fire hazard.
Also if the through the body grommets are in bad shape they could cut the lines, but reality is if the grommets are missing the body metal will saw through the SS lines almost as fast.

Many times I find the pumps fail from sitting too long. If it's in good order and you drive the car every couple weeks during the season they usually are fine.
Larmo63
In doing my /6 conversion, I took the old lines out.

They were perfect. 45 years old.
napasteve
I vote for Tangerine Racing SS lines and a new fuel pump relocated to the firewall. That's what I did and I'm not a mechanic. I'd replace all the original fuel lines. Cheap compared to a burned up car.
Mikey914
The plastic isn't necessary to replace unless it's brittle (overheated or baked), which usually isn't the case. Do replace all the other fuel lines. The vacuum lines are good to do too. Looks like a pretty solid car. I'm always suspicious of fresh rattle can undercoating, as it looks like the surface was not prepped (they sprayed over dirt). I would plan to strip it out and do a proper coating as it will peel off over time. But just keep an eye on it you should be fine for awhile. Good winter project later. Don't dig so far into it you can't drive in spring! biggrin.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 21 2017, 05:26 PM) *

In doing my /6 conversion, I took the old lines out.

They were perfect. 45 years old.

agree.gif Mine were excellent,its the rubber hoses that were really bad...as in rotten.
74ravenna
When i replaced my fuel lines, the tunnel lines weren't bad, but the lines in the engine bay were not to be trusted. They were brittle. One snapped like a twig.

The car runs well so i don't think you have any vacuum issues, i'd keep the vacuum hoses as is for now.

Drive it this spring! Don't start taking it apart. Thats what next winter is for!

Steve
Porschef
Likewise, my engine bay lines also snapped like a twig...installed a stainless set from CFR; easy, and one less concern about age.

The car, that is... rolleyes.gif
rgalla9146
I am surprised and happy to see reasonable responses to the fuel line issue.
The SS fuel lines are a great idea and a perfect replacement and repair.
But...If your tunnel plumbing is un-disturbed and the exposed front and rear
sections are are pliable it is not necessary to replace them.
Replacement with the proper hose and proper clamps is often all that is necessary
mbseto
Apropos of nothing, rock climbing is one of my main gigs, and as you might imagine they do obsessive amounts of research on nylon and how it ages and how its strength is affected by various environmental factors.

They are always very concerned about how nylon ropes are affected by gasoline, as climbers often sort their gear out in garages and parking lots. Yet it is used as fuel lines.

After a near-fatal accident a while back, a rope company did an extremely detailed post analysis on a severed rope. The fact that it was only NEAR fatal was critical, as the unfortunate climber was able to give some history of the rope before the accident occurred. They suspected gasoline. Spectography and correlation of the rope's owner pinned the crime on battery acid.

The most interesting part of this was the extremely small amount it took to compromise the rope. At the site of the break, it was only detectable in the lab.
Mikey914
The fuel lines are not nylon. If so they would have dissolved decades ago. I believe they are HDPE.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.