Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint code question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turbonet
I got the COA for my '73 2.0l about 6 months ago. I just noticed now that is says

Alaska Blue Metallic/78

I can't find any reference to 78 as a paint code. My car looks like the original paint was Alaska Blue (repainted in the early 90's with a close colour)

Thoughts? Is the COA just wrong?

Also could someone shed some light on what "equipment for Canada" means?

Thanks
914Sixer
L96B is Alaska Blue Metallic. It could be that they were not paying attention when doing your COA. Equipment for Canada probably meant KPH speedometer, retractable seat belts and possibly halogen headlights.
stevend914
QUOTE(turbonet @ Feb 22 2017, 12:26 AM) *

I got the COA for my '73 2.0l about 6 months ago. I just noticed now that is says

Alaska Blue Metallic/78

I can't find any reference to 78 as a paint code. My car looks like the original paint was Alaska Blue (repainted in the early 90's with a close colour)

Thoughts? Is the COA just wrong?

Thanks

agree.gif

I don't see that Porsche has ever used color code 78. Could it be a reference to the interior color?
BillC
Take a look here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors Alaska Blue is the second line of the table.

L96B is the VW color code. 78 is the Porsche color code for the same color. So, your COA is correct.
Tom_T
QUOTE(BillC @ Feb 22 2017, 06:57 AM) *

Take a look here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors Alaska Blue is the second line of the table.

L96B is the VW color code. 78 is the Porsche color code for the same color. So, your COA is correct.

No .... the COA is incorrect, as they switched to only using the VW paint code by 73 MY, & PCNA should be doing their COAs to match what is on the Karmann Plate of the car. Confirm what number is in the bottom box of the Karman Plate in the front L door jamb (driver side), & take it up with PCNA-COAs per belwo.

Turbonnet, see if you can verify that your 914 was originally sold in Canada - if so, then the COA would be correct as noted above by Mark H. - but if NOT & was actually first sold in the USA, then the PCNA COA person also made a mistake in translating the option code on the Kardex record as Canada Eqpt.

After you know that question, call the PCNA 800# for the COA dept. & ask them to correct one or both items, & anything else you think sounds wrong on it (if any).

PCNA is notorious for screwing up the COAs on all the older cars (including 356s, 911s, 912s), & apparently especially or more often on what they consider our NARPy-bastard 914s - but they have an obligation to correct the COAs for which you/we pay good money.

It took me 4 tries & many calls & emails to get them to correct mine, but they eventually got it right. Others get it right the 1st or 2nd time. If you run into trouble, just shoot me an email or PM & I'll tell you what to do to take it up the ladder at PCNA.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 22 2017, 10:53 AM) *
No .... the COA is incorrect

Not quite right ...

The 78 code is in fact the 914-6 color code for:
Alaska Blue Metallic (Alaskablau-Metallic)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

So they're only off by 2 cylinders!
biggrin.gif
BillC
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 22 2017, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(BillC @ Feb 22 2017, 06:57 AM) *

No .... the COA is incorrect, as they switched to only using the VW paint code by 73 MY, & PCNA should be doing their COAs to match what is on the Karmann Plate of the car. Confirm what number is in the bottom box of the Karman Plate in the front L door jamb (driver side), & take it up with PCNA-COAs per belwo.

Turbonnet, see if you can verify that your 914 was originally sold in Canada - if so, then the COA would be correct as noted above by Mark H. - but if NOT & was actually first sold in the USA, then the PCNA COA person also made a mistake in translating the option code on the Kardex record as Canada Eqpt.

After you know that question, call the PCNA 800# for the COA dept. & ask them to correct one or both items, & anything else you think sounds wrong on it (if any).

PCNA is notorious for screwing up the COAs on all the older cars (including 356s, 911s, 912s), & apparently especially or more often on what they consider our NARPy-bastard 914s - but they have an obligation to correct the COAs for which you/we pay good money.

It took me 4 tries & many calls & emails to get them to correct mine, but they eventually got it right. Others get it right the 1st or 2nd time. If you run into trouble, just shoot me an email or PM & I'll tell you what to do to take it up the ladder at PCNA.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I went through this with Porsche in 2015, when I got the COA for my '73 1.7.

When I received the first version of the COA, it said my car was paint code 26G, Conda Green. It's actually Saturn Yellow (paint code 26/L13M). After being told several times by a rather snobby Porsche COA person that their records are correct and that my car must have been repainted (completely, all over, even under the dash, under the rear trunk, etc.), I finally got them to look at the 914World paint code page to which I referred earlier. At that point, they were willing to concede that they made a mistake and fixed the COA to say paint code 26, Saturn Yellow. This is despite sending them multiple pictures of the car and of the paint placard in the door jamb.

The point of this story is that the person at Porsche insisted that Porsche only recorded the Porsche paint code and absolutely did not record the VW paint code. So, she didn't care that the picture of the paint placard clearly showed L13M -- she said she had no idea what that "L13M" represented and could only go off her data sheets.

Of course, I have absolutely no way to verify what she told me about what was or wasn't recorded, I can only relay what I was told. But, since my COA now has the correct paint name, I figured it was acceptable and didn't pursue it any further.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(turbonet @ Feb 22 2017, 01:26 AM) *

Thanks

Not totally sure, I remember this came up once before, IIRC for the most part it just means it has a rear window defogger with the harness, relay and switch.
Also beside the door jam VIN decal it would have a small Canadian MOT (DOT) sticker. Looking at the pic the circle would be about the size of a dime.

My '74 914 came from a VW dealer in Abbotsford. wink.gifIPB Image
turbonet
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm currently out of town so I'll have to pursue this more when I get home.

The good news is it appears as though my car is actually Alaska Blue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.