Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: close Shave
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
Does anyone out there know if I need to shave or mill my turbo value covers prior to insertion of my my six motor? Larmo63 indicted that it is necessary or could be needed to fit the engine in the bay... If so, how much and what fins or maybe all fins. But the valve cover studs are taller than the fins ..
Cheers
mskala
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Feb 22 2017, 11:30 AM) *

Does anyone out there know if I need to shave or mill my turbo value covers prior to insertion of my my six motor? Larmo63 indicted that it is necessary or could be needed to fit the engine in the bay... If so, how much and what fins or maybe all fins. But the valve cover studs are taller than the fins ..
Cheers

It's sort of the opposite of what you said. Engine can be installed or removed
with turbo covers in place. However, turbo covers cannot be installed or removed
from engine once installed unless some milling is done. It's not really an area
that can be easily described. A choice if you have them is to install old covers
with only 1 nut, install engine, then see what needs to be milled a little at a time.
Or, some people have just taken down the whole thing evenly (I don't know how
much).
Mark Henry
I just milled mine right down to the top of where the nuts mount, I think you are left with just over a 1/4" on the ribs.
Some just trim where it interferes with the suspension.

If you do a search there was a thread on this only a few weeks ago.
GeorgeRud
This is how Supertec milled mine (though I don't have an exact measurement for you) when they rebuilt my 2.7Click to view attachment
gcrotvik
Here are 2 Garage threads that discuss this also:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=303683&hl=
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=303517&hl=
forrestkhaag
Thanks to all contributers / I am off to the milling machine.......... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.