Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 GVW?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
Good afternoon all! i would like to ask if anyone knows how much a 914/4 weighs? i need to know so i can figure on towing it from San Jose, Ca. with my Cheerokee or get the tune-up, replace the gas and etc. done there and then drive it home to Klamath Falls, Oregon. I inherited my fathers 914 and he hasn't driven it in about 5 years. any info would help. Thanks!!!!!
bondo
When I weighted mine, it was 2150. 1000 lbs in the front, 1150 in the rear. That was with a half tank of gas, and me not in it.
ChrisFix
According to Porsche's "Technical Specifications" booklet, the DIN Curb Weight is 2139lbs...
bd1308
yet on my sticker on the car, the weight is much higher, like ~2500......that's most likely with light steel wheels, no laserjetIII (AKA HUGE TANK PRINTER) in the front trunk, or me in it
montoya 73 2.0
okay, so roughly 2100 lbs. cool! i can tow with my Jeep but now the question is should i tow with a trailer or tow dolly? suggestions please?! huh.gif
montoya 73 2.0
2500 is still in the range.
ChrisFix
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 3 2005, 11:41 AM)
yet on my sticker on the car, the weight is much higher, like ~2500......that's most likely with light steel wheels, no laserjetIII (AKA HUGE TANK PRINTER) in the front trunk, or me in it

The Tech Specs also states the "Max. total weight" is 2690lbs...that is the max with passengers and luggage.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ May 3 2005, 02:42 PM)
okay, so roughly 2100 lbs. cool! i can tow with my Jeep but now the question is should i tow with a trailer or tow dolly? suggestions please?! huh.gif

trailer it, don't leave wheels on the ground... that's what I do anyway.
bd1308
okay.... *removes foot from mouth*
bondo
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 3 2005, 12:47 PM)
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ May 3 2005, 02:42 PM)

trailer it, don't leave wheels on the ground... that's what I do anyway.

Beware of uhaul flatbed trailers, they weight 2000 lbs BY THEMSELVES and have no provision for adjusting tongue weight if you use their hold down system. (they're made to balance out if you have a 59 caddy on it.. a 914 ends up way up front) If you're renting, a tow dolly may be a better choice... but they still aren't light.
montoya 73 2.0
okay, so trailer it. is there anything else i should do for trailering? also, what should i do for storing it in the winter or for any amount of time? is there a time that is not considered storing?

well i have a tow dolly and i would rent a trailer. what is the draw back for a tow dolly?
URY914
tow dolly you can't back up. sad.gif
At least not very well.

I would say for a single trip, I'd get a dolly.

Paul
Allan
I've always dollied mine. Wurked gud.
montoya 73 2.0
THANKS! SEE YA TOMORROW beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.